Instant Pot or Pressure Cooked Beef Bourguignon.
This is one of the best tasting one-pot dishes you will make!
2 lb beef cut into 1-1.5 inch cubes
2 tablespoons of plain flour
2 tablespoons of olive oil
5 oz of bacon (see above for notes on the types of bacon to use - and the photo below)
5 shallots or baby onion
1 white onion sliced
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup of brandy or bourbon
3 cups of red wine
2 cups of beef stock
2 bay leaves (1 teaspoon powdered)
2 sprigs of thyme (1/2 teaspoon powdered)
2 sprigs of parsley (1 teaspoon powdered)
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound of small mushrooms (put in whole)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Oil the bottom of the Instant Pot container - set the sauté to high and sauté the baby onions (or shallots) and the mushrooms - Then set these aside - they will be added back at the end.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and roll lightly in the flour. On a 6-quart Instant Pot, select the sauté [high or more] setting. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the Instant Pot. Add the beef and cook until well browned. When you first put in the beef - leave it for 3-4 minutes until you know it is brown, and then stir to turn. Try not to turn it too much - you are trying to sear in the flavor.
- Then add the bacon to the pot and cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Finally, add the sliced onions and cook till the onions change to a clear look.
- Now while still on sauté add the wine and deglaze the pot by stirring with a wooden spoon. Then press cancel to turn off the pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients now.
- Stir in so that the beef is covered with the liquid.
- Put on the lid (check the pressure release valve is closed) Pressure cook on high pressure, setting the timer to 30 minutes. Note the timer will only begin counting down once the pressure is reached).
- After the pot finishes leave it under natural pressure release. Before opening press cancel and make sure all the pressure is gone by using the quick release method to release the pressure.
- If the mix is a little runny then you can mix 2 teaspoons of cornflour in half a cup of water so that all the lumps are gone. Select the sauté setting on the Instant Pot and stir in the flour mixture - keep stirring and cook for 4 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens. Then all you have to do is season to taste. Finally - add back in the shallots and mushrooms you cooked in step 1. Now you are ready to serve.
See below for some key photos of the cooking process and some tips to make it all go smoothly.
- Calories: 1350
Keywords: beef bourguignon instantpot instant pot pressure cooker recipe