Belgian Beef stew, has an interesting flavor - kind of sweet and a little sour at the same time. It is somewhat similar to the French Beef Bourguignon but cooked with beer instead of wine. It is seasoned with thyme, bay leaves, and mustard and it is usually served with fries, bread, and accompanied by a beer.
2 pounds chuck beef - (ok if you have another cut of beef)
1 tablespoon plain flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
2 onions thinly sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 sprigs of fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon ground)
2 bay leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon ground)
1 cup Belgium or Stout Beer
2/3 cup rich beef stock
2 slices of bread spread with mustard
1 tablespoon mustard
4 slices streak bacon diced or Lardons
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup tomato passata
- Now that you have all the ingredients prepared.
- Turn the instant pot sauté function to more which is the hottest function add in the butter and let it melt and start to bubble a little - see the video.
- Add in the cubed beef. Let the beef sit on one side first so that it browns and seals in the moisture before turning the beef onto the next site. This really helps a lot and keeping the flavor and the beef nice and moist. So resist the urge to continually stir the beef.
- Now take out the beef and set aside on a plate.
- Now add the onions, and if a little bit dry add a tiny bit more butter. Cook the onions till they look like that are going clear - then add in the brown sugar and stir - the brown sugar helps caramelize the onions and enhances the flavor. Now add in the bacon and also cook that.
- Next, add in the garlic and gently stir after 1 minute - leave for a further minute and the garlic and onion should be done.
- Now return the beef to the pan and sprinkle it with flour. This helps with the moisture and also will slightly thicken your final stew mix. Give the beef a stir.
- Now add in the rest of the ingredients to the instant pot.
- Now take the bread and liberally put mustard on one side. Then place the bread face down in the stew mix. The mustard gives a nice flavor and the bread helps thicken the stew.
- Set the Pot to pressure cook for 30 mins and allow to naturally release pressure for 1o minutes
- At the same time out some french fries in the oven on a tray and they will be pretty much ready when the stew is cooked
- Then plate up and enjoy.
A great fall or winter stew. You can serve with French fries, mashed potato, pasta or even rice.
- Calories: 755
Keywords: belgium beer beef stew