This recipe is one my all-time favorites - it is not too difficult to make and the tenderness and depth of favor will make a burger as you have never tasted before.
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 1/2 pounds (1.8kg) boneless pork shoulder trimmed and tied on a roll)
1 cup (250 ml) chicken stock
1 cup (260ml) tomato passata
3/4 cup (180ml) bourbon
1 tablespoon djon mustard
2 tablespoon chipotle sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon maple syrup
4 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 large onion diced
4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons allspice
6-8 burger buns
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoon mayonaise
1 tablespoon lime juice
12 oz (400g) coleslaw mix
- Turn the instant pot sauté function to more which is the hottest function add in the enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Pot in the pork and cook on each side to brown and sear the meet - keeping in the juices. This will take up 8-10 mins
- Get a large bowl, jug or similar and with a thick or fork mix the paste, stock, bourbon, mustard, chipotle, vinegar, maple syrup, thyme and bay leaves so that it mixes well.
- Take out the pork and rest
- Put in the rest of the oil to the instant pot and saute the onion until it starts to go clear.
- Next add the mixture to deglaze the bottom on the pot. Stir with a wooden spoon if necessary to remove any brown caramelised bits of food from the pot bottom. These are really tasty and will add to the flavour of the dish.
- Now pour in the rest of the mixture and gently put in the pork - make sure you spoon the liquid over the pork.
- Now put on the instant pot lid and set to pressure cook for 60 minutes. Plus allow 10 minutes for natural release of the pressure
- Start the french fries approximately 15 minutes before the pressure cooking end - put a tray of frozen french fries into the oven and follow the instructions on the packet.
- Check all the pressure is gone and remove the lid - remove the pork and set aside to rest.
- After the pork has rested for at least 5 minutes using tongs it should be nice and easy to pull apart.
- Now strain the liquid left over through a sieve and into a bowl. Discard what is caught in the sieve, and return the mixture to the instant pot bowl. Set the sauté setting to high and reduce the sauce down until it becomes thicker (if it does not thicken see our photo above what to do) - put the pulled apart pork into the sauce and let it stand there while you finish the preparation of the buns for the burger.
- Now take out the ready french fries and cut in half the hamburger buns and quickly set the oven to broil and pop the buns in until brown
- Now it is time to plate up - put the buns on a plate - put on the prepared coleslaw and then put a generous quantity of the pulled pork on top. Drizzle a bit of extra sauce as well according to taste.
- Gently plate the burgers up with a nicely prepared side of fries and ENJOY
Coleslaw Preparation: Either cut or use a purchased slaw mix. To dress the slaw - whisk and mix the buttermilk, sour cream mayonnaise, juice into a slaw dressing. Add in the coleslaw and toss to coat it in the dressing
- Calories: 1150
Keywords: pulled pork burger instant pot