Chicken and eggplant in garlic and chili sauce is one of my all-time favorites from the Chinese takeout menu.
I Like to get all the ingredients prepared first - it just makes it easier to then step through the recipe much easier and it also means I do not forget a key ingredient.
So you can see I have also pre-measured all the other ingredients before I start doing the next steps.
Squash the garlic to make it easier to get the skin off and then dice finely.
Ready To Eat - And Serving Suggestions
Braised Chicken And Eggplant
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 8 finger egg plants - halved length ways 1 lb
- 1 lb minced chicken 500g
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grouch ginger - about 1 inch)
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons of chilli bean paste
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup chinese cooking wine
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 9 oz green beans 300g
- 2 green onions scallions julienned (finely sliced)
- ¼ cup fresh coriander
- Squash the garlic to make it easier to remove the skin and dice finely
- Finely slice or julienne the spring onions, place in a bowl of cold water to keep them fresh
- Top and tail the beans. When done then again put them in a bowl of cold water to keep them fresh
- Turn the Instant Pot onto saute and let it warm up till it says hot - normally this takes about 4 minutes
- Place as many eggplants face side down and cook until they are golden brown - about 1-2 minutes
- Then add the chicken and let it cook till it changes color
- Next, add the dry ingredients and mix with the cooked chicken
- sugar, salt, pepper, bean-paste, ginger, garlic and cumin seeds
- Keep the Instant Pot on saute.
- Then add the wet ingredients and mix with the wooden spoon. These will only take a minute or so to mix in.
- chinese cooking wine, soy sauce, chicken stock
- Now add back the browned eggplant wet and mix with the wooden spoon. Just ensure they get a good covering of all the spices and juices.
- Now put on the lid and set the instant pot to cook for 5 minutes -with quick pressure release.
- Then add in the green beans while the dish is still boiling and cooked them for 1-3 minutes depending on if you like the beans firm or soft