What happens if you freeze feta, and how long can you keep feta cheese inside the freezer understanding these answers will mean that you never have to waste feta cheese again.
If you want to enjoy feta cheese at its best, then you should try freezing it. The problem is that most of us don’t know whether or not we can freeze feta cheese.
Feta cheese is a soft white cheese that comes from Greece. It has a mild flavor and is often eaten as part of salads or appetizers. It also makes a great addition to dips and spreads.
You may also be interested in
Can You Freeze Feta Cheese?
Yes, you can freeze feta cheese. Ultimately the frozen feta is like to be a bit crumbly and can lose its bit or salty taste. It is just part of the freezing process. But this is much better than wasting feta.
What is the best way to store feta cheese
The best way to store feta cheese is in the freezer if you want to have a long shelflife alternatively keeping it inside the fridge is fine but you should use it within a few weeks.
Can Feta Cheese be Frozen Safely?
Yes, it is safe to freeze. Just check it is still within its date on the packaging.
Does Feta Freeze Well?
Feta freezes quite well, and it will taste almost as good as your original feta. Keep the feta in the brine liquid that it comes in before freezing it. Feta does freeze better vs cottage cheese. You can still use the feta that has been defrosted in salads.
How to Freeze Feta Cheese
There are two methods to freeze feta cheese depending on the style you have, blocks or crumble. Freeze the cheese in small portions so you can easily defrost what you need.
How to Freeze Feta in Blocks
Feta cheese freezes well, but you may want to consider freezing it in smaller chunks. This will allow you to easily defrost what you need without having to thaw the whole block at once.
Step by Step Method on How to Freeze Blocks of Feta Cheese
- Start but tipping off brine or liquid that your feta cheese was packed with.
- Using an absorbant paper towel or paper pat dry the cheese.
- When the outside of the feta cheese has been dried, take a sharp knife and dived into predetermined portion sizes. By that I mean, you have decided what you will use the frozen feta cheese for so that none of the portions are wasted. If you are hosting a large group with a garden salad work out how much you need for the number of guests.
- Wrap the feta mini slabs with plastic wrap (cling wrap) tightly and make sure that the edges are sealed so the air can not get in.
- For extra protection you can also place it in a Zip Lock bag, bleeding out any excess air before you close the bag. This also reduces freezer burn.
- Lastly, do not forget to label and date the bag as it is so easy to forget, especially if you have a lot of cheese types or similar looking packages in your freezer.
How to Freeze Feta in Crumble Form
You can purchase crumbled feta cheese. This is the most popular form for home cooking and it just easy to use, especially for salads. to salads.
Step by Step Method on How to Freeze Crumble Feta Cheese
- Freezing crumbled feta cheese is very easy – just decide the portions you need and separate the feta into these predetermined amounts.
- Place into a freezer safe zip lock blag
- Squeeze excess air out as you close the zip
- Label the bag ( & date) and put into the freezer
Can Feta Cheese Dip Be Frozen?
Yes, you can freeze feta cheese dip. It will keep for at least 3 months if stored properly.
How Does Freezing Affect Feta Cheese?
Freezing affects feta by reducing its salty taste and the texture becomes softer or more crumbly. This is normal and is part of the process of freezing and then thawing.
It does not affect it too much though and Plus many people will not be able to tell that it has been frozen at all.
Feta Changes in Flavor From the Freezer
The flavor of feta changes after freezing. It becomes softer and less tangy. If you want to keep the flavor, you should eat it within 2 months.
Feta Changes in Texture From the Freezer
The texture of feta changes as it gets older. It becomes crumbly and less flavorful. If you want to keep feta fresh longer, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then even foil before freezing.
How Long Does Feta Cheese Last in The Freezer
Feta cheese lasts for a minimum of 3 months in the freezer. After three months though the quality will decrease a little. You many not then be able to use as an appetizer or snack on its own, but it can still be used in other dishes when the cheese is cooked.
How Long Does Feta Cheese Last After Sell by Date?
Feta cheese will keep for around 6 days after its sell by date if stored in the refrigerator. If you want to extend its life, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap.
Can You Refreeze Feta Cheese?
No, you can not re-freeze feta cheese because you run the risk of pathogens creeping via cross contanmination.
Does Feta Cheese Go Bad?
The best way to keep feta cheese fresh is to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, but eventually it will grow mould and go bad. Furthermore if it has a sour aroma , it’s already gone off. Do not eat it you are best to discard it.
How Do You Thaw Frozen Feta Cheese.
You thaw it by placing it in the refrigerator overnight.
Can You Freeze Feta Cheese on Pizza
Yes you can, but I prefer to freeze the feta cheese on the pizza top separately. Plus , you can always add it back onto the pizza once it has defrosted.