Potato Salad is always a favorite in everyone’s house. It is so easy to make, and it tastes great cold or hot! Not just that, it also satisfies everyone without the need of eating too much. This popular dish can be used as an appetizer for parties or even served at your next family gathering. The best thing about this potato salad is that you do not have to worry about any leftovers because there are no easy-to-spoil ingredients involved.
That being said, a lot of you make this recipe for a large group of people having a bunch of leftovers, too. But can you freeze potato salad if to prolong its shelf life? Let us find it out below.
- See how much potato salad per person for a big group of 50 guests.
- What Pairs Well with Potato Salad when Serving to A Crowd
Can You Freeze Potato Salad
Yes. You can definitely freeze a store-bought or homemade potato salad. However, before you start to freeze it, there are important things to consider to maintain its quality. We have listed down the essential things that you need to remember below.
Things to Know Before Freezing Potato Salad
1. Make sure all the potatoes are cut into small pieces. If they are big chunks, then they will take a longer time to thaw later on.
2. Do not add salt when freezing potatoes. Salt makes them harden up after defrosting. So, instead of adding salt, use lemon juice or vinegar to season the dish.
3. Add some fresh herbs like parsley, basil, cilantro, etc. They give flavor to the dish while keeping its color intact.
4. Choose those waxy potatoes over others, such as russets. Waxy ones hold their shape better than other types of potatoes. Also, you can reheat it over and over without worrying about its texture and flavor.
5. Use only room temperature water to mix with the dressing. Cold water will cause the mixture to separate.
6. Never put the potatoes in boiling water because it will destroy the texture and make them mushy.
7. Homemade mayonnaise does not last longer than you expect.
How to Freeze Potato Salad
When freezing it, you can opt to follow either of the two methods: in a freezer-safe bag or in an airtight container. Either way, here are the steps to follow:
Steps in freezing potato salad in a freezer-safe bag:
1. Place all the leftovers in the freezer-safe bag. Make sure it is not congested. Leave at least 1 inch of space.
2. Gently remove the excess air by pressing the freezer bag tightly.
3. Close the bag leaving no space for air to get in.
4. Label it with the date and ingredients inside. Frozen potato salad can only last up to three months in the fridge. Remember, the temperature should be at least 0° F (-18° C).
Note: Using freezer-safe, PBA-free bags will maintain the salad in good quality with no excess moisture even if frozen for a longer period.
Steps in freezing it in an airtight container:
1. Scoop the leftover potato salad and place it in a clean airtight container. It is important to use a clean and dry container to prevent bacterial growth and mold growth that can lead to food poisoning.
2. Put enough salad on the container, just enough not to overfill it and leave an inch of space.
3. Tightly seal it and place it in the freezer at least 0° F (-18° C) temperature.
Note: German potato salad freezes better with a longer shelf life than other types of salad because it contains no dairy products and only uses vinaigrette.
How Long Can Potato Salad Lasts In the Freezer
Once your potato salad has been properly prepared, stored and frozen, it can stay in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 weeks and 3 months in the freezer. But once it is out of the fridge, it starts to degrade, losing its nutrients and flavors.
To keep it from spoiling, we recommend storing it in the freezer if you want to keep it longer than one week. This method also helps retain more vitamins and minerals. The best part? Your family will not have to worry about eating bland salads anymore because freezing it will maintain the best flavor and texture.
How to Thaw Potato Salad
To follow a proper thawing or defrosting process for a potato salad, simply take it out of the freezer. Let it sit at room temperature with its original container until completely defrosted. If there are still ice crystals present after 30 minutes, then continue letting it stand for another 15 minutes before serving. Once fully defrosted, serve immediately.
Remember that if your salad has a vinegar base or oil, it may result in having a cloudy texture, but it will be definitely fine once it is completely thawed out. However, if it contains a sour smell, then better discard it since it is the most common sign of a spoiled potato salad.
Can you store store-bought potato salad in the fridge?
Yes. Just follow the steps we have listed above. Also, be knowledgeable about the ingredients that your salad has. Some dairy-based potato salad may spoil immediately. As mentioned, an oil or vinegar base is better than dairy ingredients.
Can mayonnaise spoil a potato salad?
It can spoil a potato salad if you store it in the refrigerator within a couple of days or hours. Harmful bacteria can thrive in an environment where cooked potatoes and mayonnaise’ acid combine, especially with those that have tartar sauce and sour cream. However, storing it in the freezer at the proper temperature may prolong the shelf life of your salad.
How do you preserve potato salad?
You should refrigerate the salad as soon as possible so that it does not lose any of its freshness. Make sure that you put it into a sealed bag first. Then, make sure that you label it clearly with the date and time when you froze it. However, you need to transfer it to the freezer if you do not plan on consuming it right away. Do this right away since cold temperatures slow down the process of decay. When you want to eat it later, remove it from the freezer and allow it to come back to room temperature.
What to do with leftover potato salad?
If you have some leftovers, you can either freeze them again or use them for sandwiches. It depends on how much you have. For example, if you have a half cup of potato salad, you could add one slice of bread per person and top it with cheese. Or, you can mix it with tuna fish and spread it onto two slices of bread.
See our recipe for Bacon potato Salad
How to make deviled egg potato salad ahead of time?
Making this recipe ahead of time saves you so much time, especially if you will make it for a large group. As such, here’s an easy recipe that you can follow:
- 3 pounds small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 12 eggs, hard-boiled
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain well and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, mayo, mustard, vinegar, and relish.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the boiled potatoes and stir gently to coat evenly.
5. Cover and chill overnight.
6. Serve chilled.
Some more FAQ
Can you freeze German Potato Salad?
Yes, you can freeze German potato salad, but it should be stored in a freezer bag. This version typically contains vinegar – as a result, it freezes quite well as the vinegar helps to preserve the Bavarian Cooked Potato Salad.
Can I freeze homemade potato salad?
Yes, you can freeze homemade potato salad. However, you should only freeze potato salad when it has been cooked. If you want to freeze potato salad raw, then you should put it into a container and place it in the freezer within 2 hours of it cooling to room temperature.
Can you cook and freeze potatoes for potato salad?
Maybe you want to prepare ahead of time or many you have made extra potatoes. So, yes you can cook and freeze potatoes for potato salad, you must make sure you pat them completely dry with a paper towel. The top way to freeze them would be to cut them into cubes and freeze them quickly.
Can you freeze potato salad with eggs?
Yes, you can freeze potato salad with eggs. The best way to do this is to put the potatoes in a bowl, add eggs, salt, pepper, and mayonnaise. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap, or put it into an airtight storage vessel, and does potato salad freeze well, yes quite good, not as good as other dishes as the potatoes can go mushy, but it freezes well enough to ensure you do not throw it out. Similarly, can you freeze potato salad with mayonnaise, yes as long as it has not been sitting out at room temperature for more than 2 hours?
Can you freeze macaroni salad and potato salad?
Yes, you can freeze macaroni salad or potato salad. You just need to store it in a good freezer container to keep out the air.
What are some good ingredients to use to add flavor and taste to a potato salad recipe?
- green onion
- dill pickle
- sweet potatoes
- red potatoes
- hard boiled egg
- dijon mustard
- bacon crispy