INSTANT POT TUSCAN CHICKEN STEW IS A HEALTHY WINTER WARMING FOOD
Pressure Cooker Chicken Stew - Tuscan Recipe 2021
Instant Pot Tuscan chicken stew is healthy winter warming food at its best!
Full of veggies, with a boost of flavor from sage or tarragon, rosemary, and perhaps balsamic vinegar (optional - we did not use that). It is a fast, quick, and easy instant pot chicken recipe.
We love stews and soups all year round, cooked in one pot - like a slow cooker, electric pressure cooker. I have even heard of people using coconut milk to give it a unique taste.
Instant Pot Chicken Stew with carrot, ginger, chili, or even sweet potato can make a nice variation.
Also our Chicken Coq Au Vin Recipe - is very easy in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Tuscan chicken stew is healthy chicken stew that is hard to beat.
Start by preparing your vegetables.
Prepare your Chorizo and Chicken. Cut the Chorizo into 1/4 - 1/2 inch slices. Coat the Chicken in flour. Turn on the Instant Pot to high heat - saute function.
Sear The Chicken on both sides and take out to rest.
Add and cook vegetables - carrots, celery and onions
Then add the garlic.
Also add in the herbs - and use the wine to deglaze so the bottom of the pan is clear.
Add the green beans back in and also boil and reduce the gravy by around 20-30%.
Plate up and you are ready to eat.
Chicken Tuscan Inspired Stew Instant Pot
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper or ½ green and ½ red
- 1 handful of green beans
- 1 tablespoon sage optional
- 1/2 cup dry wine
- ½ cup flour
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tablespoon Parsley
- ½ tablespoon tarragon
- 2 chorizo sausages
- Rosemary Gremolata
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 sprig parsley
- Prepare Vegetables: Chop and dice the celery, carrots, garlic, onion, beans and bell pepper.
- Heat: Turn on the instant pot to high temp saute (takes about 5 mins to warm up)
- Chorizo: Slice into about ¼ inch slices
- Chicken Roll chicken in flour and coat it well.
- Sear: Add oil and sear and brown chicken - 1-2 mins each side - or until brown on the outside - take out the chicken
- Cook: Cook chorizo for about 2 minutes
- Vegetables: Add and cook veggies - carrots, celery, and onions
- Garlic: Then garlic in
- Herbs: Bay leaf, Parsley, Sage (if you have it) Tarragon - pull of leaves off. Dried are ok if you do not have fresh. Stir those all around well.
- Flour: Add in some more flour about 1 tablespoon to build in a little bit of thickening for the sauce or base we are making. Mix the Flour well. Do not let the flour stick on the base of the instant pot.
- Wine: for deglazing - again stir well.
- Stock: Add in the stock and stir again
- Chicken: Add back in the chicken with some salt and pepper for seasoning
- Cook: 15 mins HP and Quick release
- Saute: - put in the rest of the vegetables (green beans and bell peppers) while you reduce the stock for 3-5 minutes.
- Gremolata - Zest lemon the lemon first and then finely dice the rosemary and parsley together and sprinkle over the final plated dish.
Chicken thighs- I recommend boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe as they will stay nice and juicy while not releasing fat into the stew. You may swap for chicken breast
Why Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken Stew Is Easier To Make
No long cooking time in a slow cooker means you can get the ingredients into the Instant Pot quickly
It has a nice Italian style delicious flavor thanks to herbs, rosemary, bay leaf, tarragon and wine.
you can make extra and use it as a freezer meal
Cooking Tuscan Chicken Stew In An Electric Pressure Cooker
The beauty of this Instant Pot Tuscan chicken stew recipe is that you can get the recipe into the Instant Pot and ready to cook in under 15 minutes!
To cook the recipe, simply assemble the chicken, vegetables, chicken stock, wine, salt and rosemary. Stir to combine, then place the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the steam release handle to the 'sealing' position, then pressure cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. It really is a fast way to make a healthy chicken stew
The thing I really love about the Instant Pot Tuscan chicken recipe is that the flavor improves and tastes even better on day 2!
Can I Add Or Substitute Beef Or Pork?
Yes you can - but remember the herbs here are chosen for chicken bone broth or stock. See our xxx beef stew recipe - here.
Remember also bone in chicken thighs will add more flavor.
What Other Vegetables Can I Use Or Swap
What herbs go into Instant Pot Chicken Stew
This tuscan stew use for rosemary tarragon, sage, and parsley, You can also use dried Italian herbs if you do not have these.
The recipe also includes bay leaves which I find really helps when doing a casserole, crock pot or pressure cooker recipe.
Basically, they complete the flavor profile and it enhances the other ingredients and flavors of the dish.
Of Course we also use salt, pepper, paprika (in the chorizo) , onion, and garlic also season the soup which complements the vegetable flavors, too.
How To Make Chicken Stew In Instant Pot:
This has to be one of the easiest recipes ever! Really if you can put all the ingredients into the pressure cooker, you can make this easy and cheap meal!
The lazy way or if you are really short on time is to
1. Put everything in the pressure cooker except the flour and parsley.
2. Put the lid on and cook for 15 minutes - Done
3 Thicken the broth with flour or cornstarch and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Serve In just 25 minutes, you will have the most tender and delicious chicken!
What To Serve With Instant Pot Chicken Stew?
We love serving it with a chunk of bread for toasted ciabatta or sourdough for dunking.
Put a little sour cream into the broth.
Easy homemade cornbread
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Recipe for a little extra kick.
How to make stew chicken on the stovetop
First cook chicken pieces in a saucepan with little oil. Remove and set aside. Then into the same pan saute onions and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, until onions just begin to brown. Keep stirring. - Then you need to stew slowly for a number of hours - really a pressure cooker is better than the pot on the stove - faster, more tender and I think more yummy.
How Do You Add Flavor To Chicken Stew?
Add flavor to the stew with a dried seasoning like Italian seasoning, which is a mix of oregano, basil, marjoram, and thyme. You can also use the individual seasonings with salt and pepper for more flavor.
A squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end will give a nice acidic balance to the broth if you like that.
Some people add butternut squash or even mashed cauliflower.
How Do You Thicken Chicken Stew?
I thicken my instant pot chicken stew by adding a cornstarch slurry. Whisk together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water, making sure there are no lumps. Stir the slurry into the stew and simmer (using the saute function until it thickens slightly.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Stew
You can store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the soup in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop before serving.