Christmas Fruit Steamed Pudding Flavored with a hint of Rum - just right for the holiday season.
3.5 oz Glazed cherry 100g
9 oz Raisins 250g
9 oz Sultanas 250g
8 oz crushed Pineapple
3.5 oz chopped crystallized Ginger 100g
1/2 cup Rum
1 Orange zest and squeeze the juice
1 Lemon zest
1 Apple grated
2.5 oz 75 g Breadcrumbs - (fresh white bread)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 tablespoons Golden syrup
7oz Condensed milk 195g
1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon mixed spice
4 oz unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups of flour
Mix the raisins, sultanas pineapple, and grated apple in a large bowl. Then chop the crystallized ginger and add. Add the orange zest and then squeeze the juice of the orange into the bowl. Finally, zest a lemon also into the bowl.
Mix all together and cover with plastic wrap. Put in the fridge - this is best done the night before.
Steamed Fruit Pudding Mix
- Make the breadcrumbs in a food processor till they are fine breadcrumbs
- Prepare to line the tins with baking paper - by tracing correct sized circles. (see our pictures) Cut the baking paper to size
- Grease the tins with butter before you put in the baking paper and also after you put in the baking paper. ( we used a brush with soft butter)
- Diced the glazed cherries and add to the fruit mix, plus add the rum also.
- Melt the butter and mix in the golden syrup and condensed milk.
- Then add the sugar
- Add the eggs that have been whisked first to the butter and milk mix
- Next, add the baking soda and milk and stir well
- Then mix well
- After that add the rest of the dry ingredients (cinnamon, ginger, mixed spice) to the fruit and mix well by hand - see photo
- Now mix the flour into the fruit
- Then add the butter and wet mix to the fruit mix and continue to mix by hand.
- When complete the mix will be quite wet and runny - so do not worry
- Now add to the bowl or pudding tin you are cooking in
- Cover the tin with baking paper and foil ( see picture to note the small fold in the middle to allow space for the cake to rise
- We find that securing the paper and foil on the top with a rubber band is the best way to hold it on.
- Now add the trivet and add some water
- Put in the tin to the instant pot
- Top the water up to about 1-2 inches below the top of your cake tin.
- Now put the instant pot lid and set to steam - but leave the vent open so the steam comes out - note this means the timer will not work on the instant pot - so you will have to time it manually for 15 minutes as soon as you notice the steam coming out
- After 15 minutes push cancel and close the steam vent and then set on high pressure for 45 minutes
- Allow for 10 minutes of natural pressure release
- Carefully take out the pudding and let it cool until you can touch it and it is only a little bit warm. Do not take out the pudding too early as it will be too fragile.
- Then you can decorate as you see fit
- Calories: 355