Easy Christmas Fruit Pudding Using An Instant Pot.
Get ready to delight your holiday with this family recipe that was originally made by my “grandma” in a stove top, or traditional pressure cooker.
A few Christmases ago, I got out her aging recipe book and tried a few weeks ahead of the holiday period to make the recipe in my modern electric pressure cooker – a.k.a – an Instant Pot.
Guess what – it worked perfectly – so follow this tested recipe to make a moist and aromatic Christmas fruit pudding in no time.
Need a fancy French dessert for the holiday season try our easy creme brulee in an Instant Pot.
Easy Christmas Fruit Steamed Pudding Instant Pot
- 3.5 oz Glazed cherry 100g
- 9 oz Raisins 250g
- 9 oz Sultanas 250g
- 8 oz crushed Pineapple
- 3.5 oz chopped crystallized Ginger 100g
- 1/2 cup Rum
- 1 Orange zest and squeeze the juice
- 1 Lemon zest
- 1 Apple grated
- Pudding Ingredients
- 2.5 oz 75 g Breadcrumbs – fresh white bread
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons Golden syrup
- 7 oz Condensed milk 195g
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of flour
- Mix the raisins, sultanas pineapple, and grated apple in a large bowl. Then chop the crystallized ginger and add. Add the orange zest and then squeeze the juice of the orange into the bowl. Finally, zest a lemon also into the bowl.
- Mix all together and cover with plastic wrap. Put in the fridge – this is best done the night before.
- Steamed Fruit Pudding Mix
- Make the breadcrumbs in a food processor till they are fine breadcrumbs
- Prepare to line the tins with baking paper – by tracing correct sized circles. (see our pictures) Cut the baking paper to size
- Grease the tins with butter before you put in the baking paper and also after you put in the baking paper. ( we used a brush with soft butter)
- Diced the glazed cherries and add to the fruit mix, plus add the rum also.
- Melt the butter and mix in the golden syrup and condensed milk.
- Then add the sugar
- Add the eggs that have been whisked first to the butter and milk mix
- Next, add the baking soda and milk and stir well
- Then mix well
- After that add the rest of the dry ingredients (cinnamon, ginger, mixed spice) to the fruit and mix well by hand – see photo
- Now mix the flour into the fruit
- Then add the butter and wet mix to the fruit mix and continue to mix by hand.
- When complete the mix will be quite wet and runny – so do not worry
- Now add to the bowl or pudding tin you are cooking in
- Cover the tin with baking paper and foil ( see picture to note the small fold in the middle to allow space for the cake to rise
- We find that securing the paper and foil on the top with a rubber band is the best way to hold it on.
- Now add the trivet and add some water
- Put in the tin to the instant pot
- Top the water up to about 1-2 inches below the top of your cake tin.
- Now put the instant pot lid and set to steam – but leave the vent open so the steam comes out – note this means the timer will not work on the instant pot – so you will have to time it manually for 15 minutes as soon as you notice the steam coming out
- After 15 minutes push cancel and close the steam vent and then set on high pressure for 45 minutes
- Allow for 10 minutes of natural pressure release
- Carefully take out the pudding and let it cool until you can touch it and it is only a little bit warm. Do not take out the pudding too early as it will be too fragile.
- Then you can decorate as you see fit