If you have ever had a birthday party or hosted a dinner party, you probably know that cakes quickly go stale due to temperature, the conditions, and the used ingredients. See what rack position in the oven you should use to bake a cake.
How Long Does A Cake Last In The Fridge?
Cakes are best stored in the refrigerator, but they should only be kept there for four to six days maximum. After that, they tend to dry out and lose moisture.
Top 9 Cake Storage Tips and Information in 2023
- Cakes made with fresh ingredients like buttercream frosting, chocolate ganache, and whipped cream should be refrigerated within two hours of serving. Otherwise, they may turn hard and stale.
- However, certain fruit-based cakes can last a long time in a cool environment, especially if they contain a high content of alcohol.
- Others baked with moist ingredients like fruit fillings, custards, and mousses should be allowed to cool completely before storing them in the fridge. Once cooled, these cakes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four to six days.
- Some cakes, such as cheesecakes, require special care. These cakes should be stored in the fridge or freezer and not left sitting out. Then, they can be served chilled.
- Cakes go bad because of bacteria growth. This happens because the air inside your refrigerator gets warm, moist, and humid, which encourages mold and bacteria to thrive.
- The length of time cake lasts depends on a variety of factors, including the ingredients used and how it is stored.
- Usually, a cake that is brought from the stores will last for up to 2 weeks – certainly one week.
- In addition, homemade cakes containing cream cheese will last around five days, a little more if stored well.
- If lemon juice or preservatives (like store-bought cakes may have) are added, then the shelf life can be extended.
With that, we will give you steps and tips on how to preserve the cake’s original flavor and texture.
What Factors Determine How Long Does a Cake Last in the Fridge
As mentioned, cakes only last from four days to 2 weeks in the fridge.
The shelf life of leftover cake depends on the type of cake and its ingredients. Some factors can affect the shelf life of cakes (both homemade cakes and store-bought cakes).
How Much Cake Do I Need To Buy For A Big Crowd
The Sugar Content Of A Cake Will Influence How Long It Lasts
For instance, sugar content affects the shelf life of cakes as well as their taste. Sugar is one of the main components of cakes.
When it comes to baking cakes, sugar helps create a firm structure and gives the cake a sweet taste. However, if you bake a cake with too much sugar, there will be excessive moisture.
On the other hand, if you use less sugar, then the cake will become dry. Therefore, when making cakes, try to balance the sugar level so that you get the perfect sweetness. In addition, the type of flour you choose will also affect the shelf life of your cake. Flour is another important component of cakes.
How Much Funnel Cake Do I need per person?
What Are The Best Ways To Make a Cake Last Longer
Cakes can last a long time if you store them properly. Here are 9 tips on storing cakes in 2023
- Make sure you store your cakes in a cool place.
- You should keep them away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
- Make sure that the cakes are stored upright and at least two inches above the container.
- Store your leftover cake in the freezer for longer shelf life.
- When storing your cakes in the freezer, you can freeze them individually or put them into a large Ziploc bag.
- Use airtight plastic containers or an airtight cake box instead of loose cake boxes. Loose cake boxes tend to absorb odors and flavors from the food. This makes the cake taste different from what it was originally supposed to taste.
- Keep the cake in the fridge until you are ready to serve it. Do not leave the cake out overnight. Instead, take it out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving.
- Don’t put too much frosting on the cake.
- Keep cakes away from heat sources.
- Remove any icing from the sides of the cake before serving.
How to Refrigerate and Store Different Types of Cakes
Not all cakes have the same storage methods. This applies to those with special ingredients, layers, and toppings.
How To Store Cakes With Different Toppings, Frostings and Fillings in the Fridge
How To Store Cakes with Cream Cheese Frosting In The Fridge
Cream cheese frosting is delicious, but it doesn’t store well. If you plan on storing cakes with cream cheese frosting in the fridge, here are some tips to ensure that your cake stays moist and delicious.
First, let’s talk about the ingredients. Cream cheese frosting contains butter, milk, and powdered sugar. Butter and milk have short shelf life if not stored in the fridge, so you don’t want to leave it out too long. Powdered sugar is pretty stable, but it won’t last forever either and high sugar content will absorb more water.
So what can you do to extend the shelf life of your Cream Cheese cakes?
- First, cut down on the amount of butter used.
- Second, add an egg yolk to the mix.
- Third, refrigerate the cake immediately after icing it.
- And finally, cover the top of the cake with plastic wrap.
Now that you know how to store cakes with cream cheese frostings, let’s talk about storage containers. I like Tupperware containers as they have a good air seal, but there are many other good ones out there.
How To Store A Cake with Buttercream Frosting In The Fridge
A lot of people are asking me about putting a frosted buttercream cake into the fridge. I know it sounds crazy, but there’s actually a reason why we do it. Frosted cakes are really good at keeping fresh. They don’t dry out like regular cakes, and they keep longer because the frosting stops them from losing moisture and going hard.
But what happens when you take a frosted cake out of the fridge and let it sit outside? You might find yourself with a soggy cake. This is because frosted cakes contain high amounts of sugar, and sugar will absorb humidity from the air.
When you place a frosted cake in a cooler environment, then the air tends to be drier, and so the frosting and the cake tend to last well.
Cake frosting is delicious, but it doesn’t last forever. If you plan on storing cake with buttercream frosting in the refrigerator, here’s how to store it properly.
#1. Make Sure There’s Enough Room For Storage
Before you refrigerate any food, make sure there’s room in your fridge for storage. This means that you don’t have to open the door every time you want to grab a piece of cake.
#2. Put The Cake On A Plate
Put the cake on a plate first, then cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerating cakes without a plate can cause the frosting to drip down onto the floor.
#3. Cover With Plastic Wrap
Cover the cake with plastic wrap. Then place the wrapped cake back into the fridge.
#4. Freeze Before Storing Longer Than Three Weeks
Freezing the cake frosting keeps it fresh for longer periods of time. However, you should still remove it from the freezer no later than three weeks after making it.
#5. Avoid Using Too Much Sugar
When using sugar in baking recipes, remember that too much sugar can affect the texture of the frosting.
#6. Add Some Vanilla Extract
Adding vanilla extract helps prevent the frosting from becoming grainy.
#7. Use Fresh Ingredients
Fresh ingredients such as eggs and milk are better than powdered versions. Powdered egg whites tend to become lumpy over time.
#8. Be Careful About Adding Salt
Salt can toughen the consistency of the frosting. Instead, add salt to the recipe after adding the sugar.
How To Store A Cake with Fondant In The Fridge
Fondant is one of those things that makes cakes special. It adds an elegant touch to any cake and gives it a unique look. However, fondant tends to dry out quickly and become brittle after a short amount of time. This means that you must take extra care when storing a fondant cake in the fridge.
Here’s how to store fondant in the refrigerator.
Cover the fondant with plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic tightly around the fondant so that no air gets inside.
Cake decorations such as fondant tend to dry out easily. Therefore, it is recommended that you store your cakes away from direct sunlight.
Store your cakes in a cool, dark area. If possible, refrigerate your cakes.
Make sure that the cake has been stored in a sealed container.
Do not leave your cakes exposed to humidity. Humidity may cause the fondant to break down.
How To Cut a Fondant Cake that has been stored in the fridge
- Let the fondant cake warm up to room temperature before serving
- When cutting fondant, make sure that the knife blade is clean. Otherwise, the fondant may stick to the knife.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe off the knife after every piece of fondant.
Keep your fondant in a cool, dry place. Do not expose it to heat or moisture.
After removing the plastic wrap, don’t forget to cover the fondant again with plastic wrap.
How To Store Ganache Cakes in The Fridge
I’m sure you’re all familiar with ganaches, which are basically chocolate frostings. These are used on cupcakes, brownies, cake pops, etc. There are two types of ganaches: one type has butter and cream cheese added to it, while another type does not.
These cakes usually contain chocolate ganache filling. Ganache contains both cocoa powder and heavy cream.
Top ways on how to store both kinds of ganache cakes in the fridge.
- Make sure that your ganache cake is room temperature before storing it in the refrigerator.
- Put the storage container in the back of the fridge, you want a constant temperature so that the cake does not warm up when the fridge door is opened,
- Let the ganache cake sit there until it reaches room temperature again before serving
- Once it’s at room temperature us a share warm knife to cut the cake
How To Store Red Velvet Cake In The Fridge
Red Velvet Cakes are delicious, but if you want to keep them fresh for a while, you should put them in the fridge. This will prevent the cake from drying out too much and losing its flavor.
– Put the cake on a plate or pan and cover it with plastic wrap.
– Place the cake in the refrigerator and let it chill there until you’re ready to serve it.
– Make sure to remove the plastic wrap before serving the cake.
How To Store a Baked Chocolate Cake In The Fridge
Chocolate cake stays delicious for a long time if it is kept away from heat and humidity.
The secret behind keeping the chocolate cake moist and tender lies in the way you store it. Store it in a cool place where there are no drafts, such as in the refrigerator.
This will help keep moisture inside the cake. To avoid losing moisture, do not freeze the chocolate cake.
1. Make sure the cake has cooled completely before storing it in the fridge.
2. Wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap.
3. Place the wrapped cake into an airtight container.
4. Put the lid on the container and place the back of the refrigerator
5. Remove the cake about 30 minutes before serving.
6. Serve the cake immediately.
If you want to make the chocolate cake ahead of time, keep it in the freezer. For best results, thaw frozen chocolate cake overnight in the fridge.
How To Store a Fruit Cake In The Fridge
A fruitcake is a dense cake containing dried fruits such as raisins, currants, dates, figs, apricots, pineapple, prunes, apples, pears, peaches, cherries, and cranberries. Some recipes include nuts, chocolate chips, coconut, gingerbread spices, brandy, rum, bourbon, whiskey, liqueurs, coffee, tea, or cocoa powder. Fruitcakes are often baked in decorative molds, and some contain candies.
– Put your fruitcake into an airtight container.
– Make sure you wrap it tightly so there won’t be any leaks.
– Cover the top of the container with plastic wrap.
– Place the fruit cake in the refrigerator.
– Let it sit there until you’re ready to use it.
How To Store a Sponge Cake In The Fridge
A sponge cake is a light dessert that has a moist texture and delicate flavor and is commonly made or bought in a9 inch round size.
To store this cake in the refrigerator, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container.
Make sure there is enough room between the top of the cake and the lid of the container.
– Refrigerating the cake keeps its moisture intact and prevents it from drying out.
– Place the cake on a plate and cover it with plastic wrap.
– Wrap the entire cake tightly in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.
– Remove the cake from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
How To Store a Coconut Cake In The Fridge
The coconut cake is one of my favorite desserts.
A coconut cake is delicious and moist, but it doesn’t stay fresh very long if left at room temperature.
However, if stored properly, it will last much longer than most cakes. This storage recipe calls for refrigerating the cake. I will often cut the cake into slices which makes it easier to store and serve later. Once sliced, store the cake back in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
How To Store a Carrot Cake In The Fridge
A carrot cake keeps well in the refrigerator.
A carrot cake is one of my favorite desserts. I make this recipe all year round, but I always keep some in the freezer for those days when I’m too busy to bake.
My secret to keeping this delicious dessert fresh and moist is to store it in the refrigerator. Here’s what I do…
– Make sure to wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap before storing it in the fridge. This prevents moisture from escaping and keeps the cake from drying out.
You can even freeze it for several months. But cream cheese frosting won’t last nearly as long.
How To Store a Cheesecake In The Fridge
Cheesecake is one of America’s favorite desserts. I make this recipe all the time. But sometimes I want to store it in the refrigerator for later. These steps show you how to keep a cheesecake fresh in the fridge.
- Place the cheesecake on a plate or pan before placing it into the Fridge
- Once cool, place the cheesecake inside an airtight container.
- This stops condensation from forming if the cheesecake is warm before it goes into the fridge
- Remove the cheesecake from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
What are the Signs of a Spoiled Cake?
Several signs indicate that your cake has gone bad. Here are some common signs:
- Your cake starts to smell sour or moldy.
- Your cake becomes soft and crumbly.
- The cake looks discolored.
- The cake gets hard.
- Your cake begins to crumble.
- You see small holes in the cake.
- A lot of liquid oozes out of the cake.
How to Tell if Cake Has Gone Bad?
Check Its Appearance
Moldy foods can contain dangerous bacterial spores that are invisible to the naked eye. These spores can grow into mold and cause illness. To prevent this, make sure to check the cake’s appearance. If it is hard or dry, throw it away. But don’t worry — there are ways to tell if a cake is safe to eat. Here are some tips to help you identify moldy cakes.
1. Look for signs of discoloration. Discolored areas indicate that the cake contains mold. You might see spots or streaks of black, gray, or brown.
2. Examine the surface. If the surface looks moist, wet, sticky, slimy, or slippery, the cake could be contaminated with mold.
3. Test the cake. Cut off a piece of the cake and taste it. If it tastes bitter, sour, metallic, or acrid, discard it immediately. This indicates that the cake contains harmful bacteria.
4. Smell. If the smell is strong, unpleasant, musty, or sweet, discard the cake.
5. Taste. If the cake is too soft, runny, or crumbly, toss it out.
6. Check the ingredients list. If you notice any unusual ingredients, such as rice flour, corn syrup, or baking soda, do not buy the cake. These ingredients can trigger allergies or health problems.
A good way to test whether you smell something bad is to take a sniff. If it stinks, there’s probably some sort of bacterial growth involved.
Throw It Out
If you’re like most people, you probably don’t think about throwing out food very often. But it happens every day. And there are many reasons why we toss food — some of them obvious,
If the cake looks off – put it in the trash
How Long Does Cake Last in the Freezer
To extend the shelf life of your cakes, you can freeze them for up to three months. The best way to store your cakes in the freezer is by wrapping them individually in aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Here are the steps for freezing cake layers:
1. Take your cake layers out of their original packaging.
2. Place each layer on a piece of wax paper.
3. Wrap the cake layers individually in a layer of aluminum foil.
4. Put all of the wrapped cake layers in a large airtight container.
5. Label the bags with the date and name of the cake.
6. Freeze the cake layers for up to 3 months.
How to Thaw a Cake
Thawing frozen cakes take less time than thawing fresh cakes. However, if you want to thaw a cake quickly, you can use this method:
1. Remove the cake from its packaging.
2. Cut off the aluminum foil or parchment paper around the cake.
3. Place the cake on a plate or baking sheet.
4. Cover the cake with another plate or baking sheet. Make sure there is enough space between the two plates so that the cake does not stick to one plate.
5. Let the cake sit at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes.
6. Flip the cake over onto a clean surface.
7. Carefully remove the first plate or baking sheet. You should be able to lift the cake easily now.
8. Repeat step 6 until all of the plates or baking sheets are removed.
9. Serve the cake right away.
What are the Types of Cakes with a Longer Shelf Life
Some cakes, such as carrot cake, banana bread, and apple pie, last longer when stored properly. These cakes have a high moisture content, making them more susceptible to spoilage. Therefore, they require special care while being stored. On the other hand, some types of cakes last longer because of their ingredients.
Here are some of the long-lasting cakes with their shelf life:
- Fruit Cake
Fruit cake can last for months in the refrigerator. It only needs to be refrigerated for 2 weeks after opening. Fruit cake also lasts well in the freezer.
- Baked Chocolate Cake
Cakes made with dark chocolate will last much longer in the fridge. Chocolate cakes should be kept in the fridge for no more than 4 days.
- Cake Made With Whole Eggs
Whole eggs make cakes richer and moister. They also help prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.
- Unfrosted Cakes
Cake without frosting or icing will keep for a very long time. Unfrosted cakes can last for up to six months in the refrigerator.
How Long Do Unfrosted Cakes Last in The Fridge?
You should always check the expiration dates before buying cakes. Some cakes, like carrot cake, banana bread, and apple pie, can last for several months in the refrigerator at their maximum freshness. Like cheesecake, brownies, and angel food cake, other cakes must be eaten within four days.
- Sponge Cake
Sponge cakes can still last for several months in the refrigerator because of their high water content. Sponge cakes need to be stored in the refrigerator for no more than four days after opening.
How Long Do Unfrosted Cakes Last in The Fridge?
You should always check the expiration dates before buying cakes. Some cakes, like carrot cake, banana bread, and apple pie, can last for several months in the refrigerator at their maximum freshness. Like cheesecake, brownies, and angel food cake, other cakes need to be eaten within four days.
How Long Does Cake Last Unrefrigerated?
Most cakes with no dairy toppings like whipped cream can last for up to 2-3 days if left out. However we do advise keeping them in a cool spot out of any sunlight.
Can You Eat a 2-Week Old Cake?
Yes, you can eat a 2-week-old cake if it contains no perishable toppings or layers. e,g. a sponge cake with cream layers you could not eat.
Can You Put a Frosted Cake in The Fridge?
Frosted cakes should be kept in the refrigerator for safety reasons. Cake with cream cheese frosting is best stored in the refrigerator. Make sure the cake is tightly wrapped or sealed well in an air tight container.