How Many Appetizers Should I Make Per Person For A Dinner Or Cocktail Party?
Appetizers are to a dinner event as what aperitifs are to a cocktail party.
What is an appetizer?
They can be a little dish before the main dish, however, they are too small a meal on their own? Sometimes they can be also called a hors d’oeuvre.
There are some things to know about How many appetizers should I make per person for a large group or a crowd.
How many Appetizers will my guests eat? You don’t want to have guests without enough to eat. But at the same time, you do not want a heap of food leftover.
Let’s settle on four different events that will influence how many appetizers we serve up for a big crowd.
We will also have a handy table that will give you the exact amount of appetizers per person for each event.
- Short event of 1 hour – eg cocktail party
- An event that lasts 2-3 hours like a tailgate party or even a family reunion
- A long event where it is likely that people will come back multiple times and use it as a meal replacement event.
- Appetizers that are used to complement the main dish – kind of like sides.
What vegetables are good for raclette?
How many Canapes per hour do you serve for 100 people?
What are the cheapest Appetizers to serve for a big crowd or large group?
Types of Appetizers that are best for economical servings at a dinner party or with good ounces per person economy.
- Cheese like cheese balls or cheese cubes
- Cocktail meatballs – cheap protein appetizer
- Thin Sausages
- Potato Chips
- Donut Holes
- Green salad
- Potato Croquettes (require a little more time to make)
These are all easy and quite cheap
How do I choose the right mix of Appetizers
The best advice is to mix up the variety you serve. One of my key tips is to include heavier items like protein-based appetizers like sliders with steak or salmon. Perhaps pork or chicken braised meatballs.
Also, use “platters” to provide small but exciting treats.
Plus adding some colorful salads will make the whole set of appetizers look attractive.
How Do I encourage mingling or movement at my event?
Appetizers parties are great for networking and socializing if there is not enough seating for all. You can also spread them out at an open home event as people move through the house showing.
What is your Venue for serving the Appetizers? Is it outside or inside as that will also have some bearing on your menu.
A Handy Table to calculate How Many Appetizers Should I Make Per Person For A Dinner Or Cocktail Party?
How Many Appetizers Should I Make Per Person For A Cocktail Hour Party of 10 people?
How Many Appetizers Do I need for 10 People at a family gathering?
- For a short event of 1 hour you will need 30 appetizers for 10 guests
- For 10 people at a party you will need 60 appetizers
- For 10 guests at a company event lasting more that 4 hours you will need up to 90 appetizers.
For a family dinner like Thanksgiving or Christmas, you will need 40 appetizers for 10 people
- For 10 People at a tailgte party you will need 80 appetizers
How Many Appetizers Do I Make Per Person For 20 People?
For 20 People at a Party 2-3 hours you will need 100 appetizers
- For a short event of 1 hour you will need 60 appetizers for 20 attendees
- For 20 guests at a company event lasting more that 4 hours you will need up to 180 appetizers.
For a family dinner like Thanksgiving or Christmas, you will need 80 appetizers for 20 people
- For 20 People at a tailgte party you will need 160 appetizers
How Many Appetizers Do I Make Per Person For 25 People?
For 25 People at a Party 2-3 hours you will need 100 appetizers
- For a short event of 1 hour you will need 75 appetizers for 25 attendees
- For 25 guests at a company event lasting more that 4 hours you will need up to 220 appetizers.
For a family dinner like Thanksgiving or Christmas, you will need 100 appetizers for 25 people
- For 25 People at a tailgte party you will need 200 appetizers
How Many Appetizers Do I Make Per Person For 50 People?
For 50 Guests at a Party that is 2-3 hours long you will need 250 appetizers
- For a short event of 1 hour you will need 150 appetizers for 50 people
- For 50 guests at a wedding reception lasting more that 4 hours you will need up to 450 appetizers.
For a family reunion of 50 people, you will need 200 appetizers
How Many Appetizers Do I Make Per Person For 75 People?
For 75 Guests at a Party that is 2-3 hours long you will need 375 appetizers
- For a short event of 1 hour you will need 225 appetizers for 75 people
- For 75 guests at a graduation party lasting more that 4 hours you will need up to 675 appetizers.
For a family reunion of 75 people, you will need 300 appetizers when serving the main dish also.
How Many Appetizers Do I Make Per Person For 100 People?
For a big crowd of 100 at a party that is 2-3 hours long you will need 500 appetizers
- For a short event of 1 hour you will need 300 appetizers for 100 people
- For 100 guests at a big party lasting more that 4 hours you will need up to 900 appetizers.
For a large family picnic of 100 people, you will need 400 appetizers when serving the main dish also.
What is the difference between a Buffet & Plated Dinner?
Buffets are usually made up of tables that seat 10 – 20 people. The food is served on trays which guests can get up and pick from themselves. A plated meal is a sit-down where guests have their own plates and utensils and a served a complete plate.
How to Plan Appetizers for 100
This is a great way to get your guests excited about the party, it is to get them involved. Make a list of easy and inexpensive appetizers that can be made ahead of time, so you don’t have to worry about it spoiling in transit or sitting around waiting until everyone arrives.
You could even make this with kids! Just add some fun shapes like hearts, stars, circles, etc., and let them decorate their own little plates.
Cheese and Charcuterie for a Party
The Cheese Board is a great place to start your cheese journey. Plan of serving 2 ounces of cheese per person on a cheeseboard. If you are serving it with meat then serve 1 ounce of each per person.
Cleaning and Organizing
I suggest using Paper Plates and Plastic bins
Dips and Spreads for a Party or Cocktail Hour
The Dips are the most common type of dip. They consist of a base, usually bread or crackers, that is dipped into another dish containing an ingredient such as cheese, meat, vegetables, etc., then eaten with your fingers. The spread consists of one or more ingredients mixed together in some way to form a paste-like consistency.
Serve 1/3 cup of dip per person for your party is a good rule of thumb.
Top Wedding Appetizers
Types of Appetizers for the wedding food wall or buffet are a staple of any big day. It’s the place where you can display all your favorite dishes, and it serves as an important visual element in the space.
- Chicken Bacon skewers.
- Crab croquette
- Mini quiches or pies
- Pigs in a blanket.
- Shrimp sliders
- Mini Pork Ribs
- Egg rolls.
How many passed appetizers per person?
I am planning a wedding for 100 guests. We are having an open bar and we will be serving the passed appetizer buffet at our reception hall. The food is going to be served on trays with paper plates, so there won’t be any utensils or napkins provided. How much should I budget for each guest’s plate of passed appetizers? Thanks in advance!!
How many servings of and types of appetizers should I plan for an open house?
My question is how much food do you think we will need?
How many servings of assorted appetizers should I plan on making for an open house?
I have some appetizers preplanned and I want them to be nonmessy. Try using ham (see what to serve with ham), smoked salmon, and small dishes that do not have crumbs or sauces. Also, some mini desserts in plastic cups are good as are donut holes.
How many appetizer servings should I plan to have per person? Plan on serving 3 per person and have an extra 0.5 per person hidden in case you need more.