Here’s how much pulled pork per person to make or cook for game day, thanksgiving, or a BBQ.
Discover how to calculate the amount of pulled pork for between 2-500 people (see our online pulled pork calculator below.)
In this article, we provide you with pulled pork shoulder charts, formulae, and a calculator for you to buy the correct amount of raw pulled pork per person, which should please all pork fans.
Pulled Pork is relatively cheap and tasty and great for family gatherings.
For a large crowd, you can also consider serving.
- Hot Dogs – How many Hot dogs per person for a group
- Nachos – For The Superbowl, how many nachos do you serve per person
- Hamburgers – for memorial day, how many hamburgers per person do you serve?
What is the best way to make pulled pork for a Party
How Much Pulled Pork Per Person For A Crowd
1/2 pound of pulled pork (e.g. pork shoulder or maybe Boston butt) for each person is a decent rule of thumb. It’s what many BBQ gurus suggest to avoid running out of food.
Meat shrinks 40-50% when cooking, losing half its weight in moisture loss and fat rendering. This includes smoking slowly, grilling or BBQ, roasting, and even the slow cooking method.
Pork has many different cuts, and they come boned or bone-in, so this needs to be taken into consideration.
If you smoke pork that has bone-in, then you will get more flavor because as you slowly smoke, the bone-in the pork will release more flavor.
How Much Bone-In Pulled Pork Per Person For A Big Group
Due to the bone and excess fat on bone-in cuts, the recipe must be adjusted upwards.
Instead of 1/2 pound of cooked meat per person, anticipate 10 oz.
It is also important to note that when you serve meat with bone-in, people tend to choose larger portions, so that is why you will need to both buy additional raw meat and serve larger potions of bone-in pulled pork for a big group.
Here is a simple formula you can use when serving bone-in pulled pork for a large group of people.
[10 oz x Number of Guests] – now dived by 2 to allow for the weight loss when cooking and the bone in.
How Much Boneless Pulled Pork Per Per Person For A Crowd
As a general rule of thumb, you can plan on serving about 1/2 pound of boneless pulled pork per person.
Keep in mind that it is always a good idea to have extra pulled pork on hand, as it can be easily reheated and served as leftovers, for example, being used in nachos or sliders.
Raw boneless pork shoulder is one of the most popular cuts for making this.
For more complex pulled pork calculations, use the calculator below.
You can either look at our handy tables below for the exact amount of brisket to serve per person for 5, 10,25, 50, and 100 people or use our pulled pork per person calculator for between 1 to 200, 300, or even 500 guests.
How Much Pulled Pork Per Serving Calculator
Click the Guest detail option on the calculator to let you fill in how many.
- Pork Per Child
It can also take into account if you are serving additional protein dishes with the pulled pork because if you are, you will need a little bit less portion size.
And lastly, it will also take into account the number of sides you are serving.
Simply add these numbers to the calculator below, and you will get a good estimation of how much pulled pork you should buy and how much you should serve per person when it is cooked.
Enter your email, to get a copy delivered to your inbox, just hit the send button.
A Table of Exact Amounts of Pulled Pork For Pork Shoulder and Pork Butt Serving Sizes
|Pulled Pork (Weight Raw in Pounds)||Pounds of Cooked Pork Butt in Pounds||Servings For Men||Servings For Women||Servings For Childen|
A List of Calculated Pounds of Pulled Pork per Person for A Range of 5 to 100 Guests A Guide To Serving Sizes
How Much Pulled Pork per person for 5 People
Cooking for a small group, you should buy and serve
- Buy 3.5 lbs of pork shoulder or Raw Pork for four guests
- Serve 2.4 lb of pulled pork when you have a small group of 6 people
- If you are serving big sides and other meat dishes, you can decrease the amount by 20-30%
How Much Pulled Pork for 10 People
Cooking for a small group, you should buy and serve
- Buy 7.5 lbs of raw weight pork for a small group of 10 people
- Serve 5 lbs of pulled pork when you have a small crowd of 10. Often the most tender meat is from small cuts.
How Much Pulled Pork per person for 25 People
Cooking for a small group, you should buy and serve
- Buy 19 lbs of Boston butt or Raw Pork for a medium group of 25 people
- Serve 12.5 lbs of pulled pork for a medium crowd of 25 (you will have a little leftover unless all are big eaters)
- If you are serving large side dishes and other main dishes, you can decrease the amount by 20-30%
How Much Pulled Pork for 50 People
How many pounds of pulled pork to feed 50 people
- Buy 37-40 lbs of uncooked or Raw Pork Butt for a group of 50 people
- Serve 25 lbs of pulled pork for a crowd of 50 (you will have a little leftover unless all are big
How Much Pulled Pork for 100 People
How many pounds of pulled pork to feed 100 guests
- Buy 75-80 lbs of uncooked or Raw Pork for a group of 50 people
- Serve 50 lbs of pulled pork for a crowd of 50 (you will have a little leftover unless you are serving big eaters)
Top Pulled Pork Tips And Key Things To Consider in 2023 When Feeding a lot of people.
It’s difficult to calculate exactly how much pulled pork you should serve per person, as it depends on a whole host or a variety of factors, such as how hungry your guests are, the time of the day you’re serving it (for example people eat more in the evening, then at lunch) and how many other dishes and what sides you are serving.
Here are a few tips for serving meat or pulled pork to a crowd:
- Choose the right cuts of meat: For large gatherings, it’s best to choose cuts of meat that are flavorful and tender but also relatively affordable. Some good options include pork shoulder with bone-in for pulled pork and beef brisket for large groups.
- Use a meat thermometer: It’s important to cook meat to the proper internal temperature to ensure that it is safe to eat but also not overcook it.
- Prep ahead of time: To make serving meat to a crowd easier, try to do as much prep work as possible in advance. for example, this could include marinating the meat, chopping vegetables, and making any sauces or sides.
- Use slow cookers or pressure cookers: Slow cookers and pressure cookers are great for cooking large cuts of meat, as they can cook the meat evenly and keep it moist and tender. See our pulled pork recipe.
- Keep it warm: To ensure that the meat stays hot and juicy, keep it covered until it’s ready to be served. You can also use chafing dishes or slow cookers on the “keep warm” setting to help keep the meat warm.
- It is important to let the pork rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in more tender and juicy pork. Just add the 5 minutes of resting to the overall pork cooking time. This is similar to when you serve pork tenderloin for a crowd, let it rest also.
- Do not forget to have some excess sauce to go with your cooked pork, and chili powder always adds a little extra flavor; just do not use too much.
- Pork Chops can sometimes be used for a big group.
Other Things To Consider When Serving Pulled Pork To A Larger Group
What Else Is On The Menu
What’s on the menu besides pulled pork?
If you are serving other meats or side dishes that are quite filling, then you can consider reducing the amount that you serve per person.
Pulled Pork Budget Tip
Hosting a potluck will certainly fill your menu out quickly and reduce the overall cost. Further, it will take the pressure off you because you will need to focus on less food to prepare for your big event.
Using the one-half-pound-per-person method, you may have leftovers if many guests are youngsters.
In this example, give each youngster 1/4 pound. But in most cases, I’d rather have leftovers than insufficient pork.
If your visitors have huge appetites, you may increase the serving size.
Buns or Sliders?
Consider the pulled pork presentation. Guests won’t want seconds if you serve pork sandwiches, buns, etc., as the bread will fill them up quickly.
What is the Event Type
- Buffets are when guests often will eat a lot because they can help themselves to whatever quantity they like.
- Formal sit-down dinners or events usually have more overall food. However, you can control the meat sizes because you are serving it on the plate, not the guest.
Your visitors will eat more if there’s a set “dinner” hour than if food is served continuously. People concentrate less on food while socializing, drinking, and talking, so you could consider pre-served pulled pork small plates to save money.
Complete Menu – What Foods and Sides to Serve with Pulled Pork
Here are the top 15 sides to pair with pulled pork in 2023
- Apple sauce
- Potato salad
- Baked beans
- Sloppy joes – ground beef
- Sourdough Bread
- Rice Pilaf
- Cranberry sauce
- Green bean casserole
- Macaroni & cheese
- Melted Cheese
- Corn on the cob
- French Fries
- Onion Rings
See more detail on what goes well with pulled pork.
How Many People Does a Pound Of Pulled Pork Serve
As a general rule of thumb, a pound of pulled pork can feed about two to four people (servings per pound)
How Much Pulled Pork Do I Need For 5 People
As a general guideline, you can expect each person to eat about 1/2 to 3/4 pounds of pulled pork, so for a group of 5 people, you will need 2.5 to 3.75 pounds of cooked weight pulled pork. Or another way of looking at it is about 0.65 pounds per person.
How Much Does Pulled Pork Weight When Smoked?
After smoking, the meat will shrink and lose some of its weight due to the loss of moisture and the rendering of fat content. As a result, a smoked pulled pork shoulder or butt might weigh anywhere from 4 to 8 lbs.
A Buying Guide For The Best Pulled Pork Cut For the Smoker
Buying smoked pork
Get an excellent raw pork shoulder. Whenever possible, avoid supermarkets. Industrial pork has less fat, taste, and softness.
Find a quality meat merchant or local butcher.
To achieve the greatest flavor, employ the right cooking method, smoker, and smoking wood. Pulled pork is a terrific party meal and BBQ showpiece.
How to Store Leftover Pulled Pork
To store leftover pork, first, allow it to cool to room temperature.
Once it has cooled, transfer it to an airtight container. Place the container in the refrigerator, and the pulled pork will keep for up to three days. Great for making pork tacos or sliders. How much pulled pork per person for sliders?
Also, using leftover pulled pork for sandwiches is a great the next day.
Also, see how to freeze leftover pulled pork.
Which Pork Cut for Pulled Pork?
You may use a pork butt, pork shoulder, and pork roast. Depending on if you have bones will depend on the pounds of meat you get after the cooking process.
Should You Brine the Pork Shoulder?
Brining it will help to tenderize the meat and improve its flavor, so if you have the time, I recommend brining the pork
When Cooking for a Large Group, How Do you keep Pulled Pork Warm?
When cooking for a large group, it can be challenging to keep pulled pork warm while ensuring that it maintains a juicy texture. Plus, of course, keeping it at a food-safe temperature.
See here in more detail the top ways to keep pulled pork warm
How Much Pulled Pork Per Child
Budge of a serving size of 1/4 pound of pulled pork per child. That will keep the kiddos happy.
How Do you Calculate Second Helpings of BBQ Pulled Pork
Consider how much pork you’ll need for every visitor, as well as how many different sides you’ll be offering.
How Much Does 20lbs of Pulled Pork Feed
20 lbs of pulled pork will feed
- 40 big eaters
- 60 mixed eaters
- 80 small appetite or a stand-up company event
How Many Does 5lbs of Pulled Pork Feed
5lbs of pulled pork with easily feed
- 10 men
- 16 women
- 10 teenagers
How Much Does 6 lbs Pulled Pork Feed
5lbs of pulled pork with easily feed
- 12 men
- 18 women
- 12 teenagers
How Much Does 7 pounds of Pulled Pork Feed
7lbs of pulled pork with easily feed
- 14 men
- 20 women
- 14 teenagers
1 lb Pulled Pork Feeds How Many
How many pounds of pulled pork per person? A pound of pulled pork feed – It will feed 2 or 3 people, or just under 1/2 pound per person.
How Much Pork Shoulder Per Person
For each person, you should serve around 6 or 8 oz of cooked pork shoulder.
How Much Pork Butt Per Person
For each person, you should serve around 6 or 8 oz of cooked pork butt.
What Does 3 Oz of Pulled Pork Look Like?
It looks like a burger patty or a 1.5 large scoops.
How Many Pounds of Pork Shoulder per Person
This is similar to pork butt per person – which is 1/2 pound serving size of pulled pork per person.
How Many Sandwiches of Pulled Pork To Make For A Crowd
How To Make A Good Sandwich With Pulled Pork, which is an American Barbecue dish that is really popular in the Southern US states. It is commonly slowly smoked using wood to give an amazing flavor, especially for sandwiches.
Handy Table For How Many Pulled Pork Sandwiches for 5 to 100 People
|Number Of People||Number Of Sandwiches (Full Slice)||Pounds Of Pulled Pork||How Much Raw Pork To Buy (Boneless)|
|5||10||2 lbs||3.5 lbs|
|10||20||4 lbs||7 lbs|
|25||50||10 lbs||17 lbs|
|50||100||20 lbs||34 lbs|
|100||200||40 lbs||75 lbs|
Commercial Sandwich Food services utilize 2 ounces of pork per sandwich just because they are more economical and need to make a profit. Whereas homestyle pork sandwiches use 4 oz per sandwich.
If you are making small pork sliders then we have a separate post.
How Many Sandwiches Can You Make Out Of a Pork Butt?
A full-sized pork butt can be 9-10 lbs, allowing for meat shrinkage a 9 lb pork butt will make 30 sandwiches, which is enough for 15 people.
How Many Sandwiches Can You Make Out Of Pork Shoulders?
A raw 8-pound pork shoulder makes about 20 sandwiches.
How Many Sandwiches Will 10 lbs of Pulled Pork Make
It will make 50 sandwiches from 10 lbs of cooked pulled pork.
Lastly, do not forget to get a great list of ideas when you are catering to a crowd by reading our master page for feeding big groups.