Feeding a Large Group – How Much Tilapia Per Person
Tilapia is the name used for many different species of cichlid fish. They live in mainly freshwater habitats like ponds, lakes, and rivers. The Tilapia has been increasing in popularity in the last decade as people realize the importance of having fish as part of their balanced diet.
We have prepared a convenient and useful table that will give you how much Tilapia you need to buy and serve per person for between 10 to 100 people.
How Much Weight Does Tilapia Lose when Cooked
Test to see how many ounces of weight a Tilapia fish fillet lost when we cooked it. We took a fresh fillet of Tilapia and pan-fried it in butter, we put no coating on it.
We found that the Tilapia fillet lost 19% of its weight when we cooked it in a pan.
How Much Tilapia Per Person
It is safe to prepare at least 6-8 ounces of Tilapia per person to satisfy them during a gathering. If you want to serve more than 8 ounces that will likely give you a bit spare for people to come back for second helpings. You can also opt for frozen Tilapia fillets instead of buying fresh ones. However, remember that you must thaw it correctly and the taste is usually not quite as good as a real fresh one. That being said if you do not trust the supermarket to have very fresh fish sometimes it is actually better to buy frozen because while it is not as good as one-day old fish it’s certainly better than four-day-old fish, which it sometimes is. You can imagine by the time the supermarket gets the fish from the market, possibly stores it centrally, and then distributes it out it is already many days old.
A Handy Table of How Much Tilapia per Person for Between 4 to 100 People
How Much Tilapia Per Person For 4 People
- For 4 people you sohould purchase 32 ounces of uncooked Tilapia fillets
- You should plan to serve 26 oz of cooked Tilapia or per person just over 6 ounces for each person
How Much Tilapia Per Person For 10 People
- For 10 people you sohould purchase 5 lbs of uncooked Tilapia fillets
- For 10 People you should plan to serve 4.1lbs of cooked Tilapia or per person just over 6 ounces for each guest
How Much Tilapia Per Person For 20 People
- For 20 people you sohould purchase 10 lbs of uncooked Tilapia fillets
- For 20 People You should plan to serve 8 lbs of cooked Tilapia
How Much Tilapia Per Person For 50 People
- For 50 people you sohould purchase 25 lbs of uncooked Tilapia fillets
- For 50 People You should plan to serve 20 lbs of cooked Tilapia
How Much Tilapia Per Person For 100 People
- For 100 people you sohould purchase 50 lbs of uncooked Tilapia fillets
- For 100 People You should plan to serve 40 lbs of cooked Tilapia
How to Purchase Fresh Tilapia from the Market
You may find fresh Tilapia easily in your local market. Make sure that the fish is still fresh and healthy. Like other types of fish, Tilapia spoils considerably faster than other meats.
What Are the Tips in Buying Fresh Tilapia
To get the best taste of fresh tilapia, you should take extra attention to the eyes. They should be both bright and clear, otherwise, it is not fresh anymore.
Here are some things to remember when buying one:
- It should not feel sticky when touched.
- It should be firm.
- It should have a mild and pleasant smell like that of a freshwater fish.
- It should not have dull-colored skin.
- It should feel slimy with a liquid coating on the body.
When it isn’t fresh or until ready for usage, bacterial growth is quicker and the taste fades away quickly. When there is a “fishy” sharp ammonia odor, it means the fish has begun to decay. Even after being quickly cooled, top-quality fresh fish will last for at least 5 days when kept in the refrigerator.
What are the signs of a spoiled Tilapia fish?
The following are some common signs of spoiled fish:
- It has a rotten odor
- Smell of ammonia
- Taste of ammonia
- Slight discoloration on the skin
- Pasty texture
- Small holes in the flesh
- Dark red coloration
- Watery eyes
- Foul smell
- The softness of the flesh
- Slimy appearance
If you see any of these signs, discard the fish immediately.
How to Store Fresh Tilapia
There are two ways to store your raw fish: refrigerating and freezing. Refrigerating is suggested for short-term storage, while freezing is for long-term. In both cases, make sure that the fish is stored correctly not to spoil.
How to Store Tilapia in the Fridge
Here are the steps in refrigerating your raw fish:
- Wash the fish with clean water.
- Remove the head and by cutting off the fins.
- Rinse the fish thoroughly under running tap water.
- Dry the fish using paper towels.
- Place the fish in an airtight container.
- Keep the fish in the fridge for no longer than 3 days.
- Serve the fish within this time period.
How to Store Tilapia in the Freezer
Here are the steps to freeze your raw fish:
- Wash the fish with clean water before freezing.
- Remove the head and by cutting out the fins.
- Rinse the fish thoroughly under running water.
- Dry the fish using paper towels and place it in an airtight container or bag.
- Freeze the fish for up to 2 months.
- Thaw the frozen fish overnight in the refrigerator.
- Serve it within 1 week.
Is Tilapia Healthy? (Nutrition Facts)
Tilapia is a lean white fish that contains less fat content than most other types of fish. It also contains more protein than many other types of fish. According to the USDA, 100 grams of this raw non-oily fish contains these nutrients:
- 74 kcal Energy
- 16.3 g Protein
- 0.45 g fat
- 11 mg Calcium
- 0.17 mg Iron
- 21 mg Magnesium
- 227 mg Phosphorus
- 286 mg Potassium
- 213 mg Sodium
These are just a few of them. Overall, Tilapia has a low-calorie density, which is recommendable for those who are taking low-calorie diets. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals, making it a good source of vitamin B6, vitamin B12, Phosphorus, and Selenium. Moreover, it has low cholesterol, sodium, and fat content, which is safe for pregnant women.
What are the Health Benefits of Tilapia
Like other types of fish, Tilapia also has advantages for the human body’s balanced diet. Medical professionals always recommend moderate amounts of fish consumption because of its health benefits. As per Tilapia, these are some of its health benefits:
- Tilapia is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, such as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and docosapentaenoic acid (DPA). Omega-3 fatty acids, in particular DHA, have been linked to the development of the nervous system in research.
- Tilapia has a low levels of mercury content: 0.055 ppm in its flesh. Tilapia is classed as a “best choice” by the US FDA since its flesh contains minimal amounts of mercury levels. For Tilapia fish, the recommendation is to eat 2-3 servings (8-12 ounces) per week.
- Tilapia’s lean, muscular white meat has a great amino-acid profile. 100g fish provides 16.32 g/100 g (29% of the Recommended Daily Intake). In terms of protein content, it is complete in the sense that all essential amino acids are present at appropriate levels.
- It’s a top source of fatty acids, minerals, protein. Also, fat soluble vitamin A, D, and E.
- Reduces bad cholesterol.
- Promotes brain function.
- Eating ounces of seafood decreases the risk of heart attack, stroke, obesity, and hypertension, too.
How to Cook Smoked Tilapia Meal for a Gathering
You can prepare a smoked Tilapia meal for a gathering by following this simple and easy recipe:
- 24 ounces (680 grams) of smoked Tilapia
- 1 ounce (25 grams) melted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 small green chilies, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 medium-sized root ginger, finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized red potatoes, cubed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Brush the fish fillets with melted butter and season with black pepper. Place them on a foil-lined baking tray. If you have frozen fish, make sure it is well-thawed before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded saucepan that can accommodate all of the vegetables. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the ginger, chilies, garlic, mustard seeds, and turmeric and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stir well to coat in the seasonings. Season with salt and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the lid back on and allow the spinach to wilt. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until all of the spinach has been incorporated and the potatoes are soft. Heat the grill to its highest temperature and cook the Tilapia for 5-6 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- Serve it with potatoes, spinach, or other toppings depending on your liking.
What Does Tilapia Taste Like
Tilapia has a mild, slightly sweet taste and a slimy texture, which makes it perfect for grilling, roasting, or poaching. Its versatility is one of the reasons why this fresh fish is everyone’s favorite.
How Many Ounces Is a Fillet of Tilapia Have?
An average fillet of Tilapias weighs about 3-4 ounces. But of course, it all depends on the size of the original fish. fillet
How Many Ounces of Tailapa Do I Need for 2 People?
You will need around 12 ounces of fish per person. This amount should be enough for two guests in a meal.
Is Tilapia Better than Cod?
This really comes to personal preference however people who like Tilapia will say that it is much better than cod.