How To Cook Hot Dogs In Bulk For A Crowd With 20 Clever Tips For The Best Way To Cook Hot Dogs
Many would say that cooking for a crowd would be very difficult to do. But that actually depends on the cooking method that you do. We have also updated this article on how to best cook hot dogs in 2023
In this article, we will give you several clever tips on how to cook hot dogs—the ultimate favorite snack—for a big group. There are some ways that you can easily achieve this depending on the size of the crowd. If your party is not too big either you cook them with a microwave.
Need some other ideas for food for a crowd – we cover our top 20 ideas here. Along with tips on how to save money.
Some of the other methods used are charcoal grill, gas grill, steam, boil, slow cook, fire roast, air fry, skillet, griddle, stove, solar oven, and instant pot hot dogs! Sometimes to get a crispy hot dog I will also even broil them.
We will also give you some condiment ideas, hot dog toppings, and side dishes that you can add to make your hotdog party for a group better than anyone else.
While frankfurters are similar we use hotdogs in this article as our base.
If you want to know exactly how many hotdogs to buy for a big group read here for the amount.
So, whether you will be serving the hotdogs during birthday parties, family reunions, weekend getaways, tailgate events, or holiday parties, we got you covered with methods or a recipe for how to cook hot dogs and serving your “dawgs”.
What are the Best Ways to Cook Hot Dogs for a Group or Crowd
Here are some ways on how to cook hot dogs for lots and lots of people
Using a microwave to cook hot dogs in bulk is one of the most convenient ways to save your cooking time and effort. But first, you should learn the basic step in cooking hot dogs in the microwave to make them food safe, no one wants an unsafe beef hotdog.
1. To prevent the spread of bacteria, you should heat them at 170°F (76C). Or, you cook them first in boiling water – the key being the center is at a food-safe 175°F and stored at 140°F
2. Wrap them individually in paper towels and place them in a microwave-safe container or plate for 40 to 50 seconds. Make sure the plate or container is the right size to fit in properly in the microwave.
You can also opt to boil your hotdogs in the microwave by placing a large bowl of water, put the hot dogs, and place a paper towel over the bowl. Boil them for about 4 to 5 minutes then transfer them to a paper towel to dry all of them. This is a better alternative if you do not have a stove for boiling.
How To Grill Hot Dogs
If you are in an outdoor setup, you can choose to grill the hotdogs and let your friends help you in doing this. You can either use a charcoal grill or a gas grill for this. Here’s how to do it:
1. Heat up the grill and while waiting, prepare the condiments (e.g yellow mustard), sticks, or buns for the hot dogs.
2. Once heated, place the hot dogs in a diagonal position on the grill to create smoky, grilled lines. You can also cook some diced onion at the same time.
3. Cook for three to four minutes. Make sure to regularly check the hot dogs to avoid burning.
4. Flip them to the other side and allow them to be grilled for another two to three minutes. Turn the heat higher if you want them to cooker faster.
Boiling the meat is one of the easiest and healthiest ways to cook them for a crowd. This will also make the food tasty and juicy to serve. Here is how to do this:
1. Place several cups of water (depending on the number of your hot dogs) on a large pot. Place it on the stove.
2. Turn on high heat and wait for the water to boil.
3. Place the hot dogs on the pot once the water is rapidly boiling. Let it simmer but do not boil them for too long since hot dogs are already pre-cooked.
4. Boil for four to five minutes if you want it soft and moist.
5. Remove from water and lay them into a large paper towel to make them dry. Serve them warm.
How to cook hot dogs in the Oven – roasting
Cooking the hot dogs through oven roasting is great if you want to serve it for a crowd. Oven roasting is just similar to grilling hot dogs. It only requires little preparation and cooking time, especially if you use larger ones. You can also make the waiting time to prepare some condiments and the buns so that they all get ready for the hot dogs when cooked. To do this, follow these tips:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Slice the hot dogs up to the middle lengthwise while waiting for the correct temperature. Do not cut it all the way down.
3. When done, place the hot dogs on a tray and put them inside the oven. Roast for fifteen minutes and let it cook.
4.After 15 minutes, take them out carefully and let them cook.
Broiling the hot dogs will give them a smoky flavor on the inside and crispy skin on the outside. This cooking method is very easy and only requires few steps to do.
1. Place the oven setting for broil.
2. While waiting for it to heat, arrange the hot dogs on a pan
3. Keep the door slightly open to allow the heat to release and not to overcook the hot dogs.
4. Broil the food for 5 to 8 minutes. Make sure all sides are cooked evenly.
Though solar ovens might take more time to cook than other appliances, this could also work, especially when outdoors. Also, it needs to be a sunny day for you to achieve this. Hot dogs are already pre-cooked so you do not have to wait for them to be fully cooked under the sun’s heat. Here’s how to do it:
1. Place all the hot dogs in a large tray outside, under the direct heat of the sun.
2. Allow it to warm the hot dogs. To warm it quickly, slice them lengthwise for the heat to directly penetrate the inside part.
An air fryer is a great way if you want to use lesser oil and make your hot dogs healthier. The air fryer requires minimal time in cooking since it does the majority of work without the need to regularly check the food on it. Here’s how you should do it:
1. Heat the large air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place the hotdogs into the air fryer and let it cook for 4 to 6 minutes.
3. Remove and place them into the bun.
4. Place them both inside the air fryer for one to two minutes if you want to serve a toasty bun.
Frying is the most common way of cooking hot dogs in bulk. To make it cook quickly, cut the hotdogs into multiple pieces and make sure it is dry to make the skin crispier. Here are the easy ways to do this:
1. Place a large cooking pan over the stove and pour some cooking or olive oil.
2. Heat the cooking oil first before placing the hot dogs. Heat it over medium heat and warm it up.
3. Place the sliced hot dogs into the pan. Cook all the sides evenly.
5. Cook until the bottom is brown and crispy. Flip in all sides while frying.
6. Transfer to a large plate with a layer of paper towel when done frying. Allow the excess oil to soak up. Let it cool and serve.
The use of a crock pot or slow cooker in cooking the hot dogs is a perfect option if you are doing it in bulk amounts for a crowd. One large crockpot can cook about fifty hot dogs conveniently. It can also be done anywhere since the crockpot is a travel-friendly appliance. Here is how to do it:
1. Prepare a large crockpot and place the hot dogs in an upright position to consume lesser space. Otherwise, you will need to flip the hot dogs regularly to cook evenly on all sides.
2. Set it in medium to high heat and cook for 1 to 2 hours. If you want it in lower heat, it will take 3-4 hours for the hot dogs to be cooked.
3. Make sure not to place water in the slow cooker to prevent the case from splitting apart. Remember that they are already moist inside, so adding too much water will make them soggy. There is nothing better than slow cooker hot dogs and onions
Instant Pot Hot Dogs
Add the hot dogs to the instant pot. Put them on the trivet if you have one
Place the lid on with the steam vent in the open position and cook slow cooker or warm setting for 2.5 to 3 hours or until the hot dogs are hot in the centre.
Serve the hot dogs with the best choice of toppings, and make it extra nice with baskets for serving the hot dog and chips on the side.
The Electric Pressure Cooker is also good for preparing frozen hot dogs.
Steaming is also a great idea in preparing hot dogs. You won’t need oil in this, hence it will be healthy for everyone. This is also the easiest way to cook your hot dogs without any hassle. Here’s what you should do:
1. Prepare a clean, large steamer.
2. Place the hot dogs until cooked to your desired texture. You can also place the buns inside the steamer if you want to serve it warm and soft.
If you have a flat top griddle in the kitchen, you can achieve making hot dogs perfectly. A flat top griddle will make it look like you are just doing it on a frying pan. Make sure that all the hot dogs are cooked in high heat to be safe to eat. Check its package first to be sure.
1. Prepare a large, clean griddle and heat it in 320 degrees to 400 degrees Fahrenheit if you want them to be brown and crispy.
2. Pour the oil onto the griddle and cook until covered with oil.
3. When already cooked, transfer the hot dogs into a large tray with layers of paper towels. This will soak up the excess oil and grease.
Using a skillet and its lid is also another way to simply cook your hot dogs in bulk. Here’s how you should do it:
1. Prepare a large, clean skillet and pour one inch of water into it.
2. Place the hot dogs inside and put them atop the stove.
3. Put the lid into the skillet and cook it on high heat. Allow the hotd= dogs to steam for several minutes until fully cooked.
4. Once cooked, transfer them into a large container with a paper towel to soak up the excess water. Then serve.
Well, this is a convenient cooking method for you since almost everyone has a stove in their kitchens. This is also good if you are in a hurry and you need to cook a bunch of it. So, follow these steps:
1. Turn your stove burners on medium heat and place several hot dogs on top until fully cooked. This will need your attention since it might have the tendency to burn easily.
2. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until fully heated and brown.
3. Remove and let it cool. You can also directly put your favorite toppings.
This could be great if you are outdoors with friends and there are a lot of people who will help you. Roasting them around a firepit will require you to have long wooden or metal sticks to stick on the hotdogs onto the end. Follow these steps:
1. Prepare wooden or metal sticks, hot dogs, condiments, and buns.
2. Slip your hot dogs to the sticks and make sure they are firmly in place.
3. Place the hot dogs over the fireplace and rotate them regularly to cook on all sides. Watch them closely to avoid burning.
How Do You Keep Hot Dogs Warm for a Party
There are several ways to warm your hot dogs while waiting for them to be served. You can choose to have the suggestions above such as using a slow cooker, steamer, microwave, and more. Here are some ways to warm them:
Use warming trays
Using warming trays is the most recommended and convenient way to warm food, especially when it needs to be transported to another area. You can prepare a bulk of hot dogs in one cooking and then, place them in a warm tray to keep it heated for a couple of hours. It will be safe as long as it is pre-cooked well. A warming tray made of aluminum foil will warm the food for a longer period by not letting the heat release from the inside. It will work as an insulator and trap the heat for a minimum of 1-2 hours.
What Hot Dog Toppings Should Be Served
There are several options that you can choose for hot dog toppings.
- Chili Sauce
- Shredded Cheese or cheddar cheese or cheese sticks
- Worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder or garlic salt
- Ketchup or Tomato Sauce
- White sliced bread with butter
and do not forget the hot dog bun or the fries – see the top 4 ways to reheat fries.
Can I Grill Hot Dogs Ahead Of Time?
Almost all hot dogs are already actually cooked so after they have nice grill marks after about 5 minutes you can take them off and that is the best way to cook them ahead of time.
How do you make hot dogs taste better?
Seasoning with salt and pepper and evening some garlic powder will help them taste much better.
How do you know when hotdogs are ready?
When the skin looks blistered or wrinkled and is darker in color, it’s probably done
Also the last tip – making a hot dog bar is a great way to serve them – see how we serve and set up a bar for tacos.