How to Cook Rice Without Starch
There are many reasons why you might want to cook rice without starch. Maybe you’re on a low-carb diet or trying to avoid processed foods.
Whatever your reason, it’s actually very easy to make starch-free rice. All you need is the right method and the right ingredients.
Keep reading to learn how to make perfect, fluffy rice every time – especially if you use a rice cooker.
Which Rice Has Less Starch?
Rice starch is a carbohydrate that is found in rice. It is made up of long chains of glucose molecules, giving the rice its characteristic chewy texture.
Rice starch is also used in various industries, including papermaking and textile manufacturing. When it comes to rice, there are two main types: white rice and brown rice.
White rice has removed bran and germ, leaving only the starchy endosperm.
Brown rice, on the other hand, still contains bran and germ. As a result, brown rice is less processed and generally considered to be healthier than white rice.
In terms of starch content, brown rice actually has more starch than white rice. Brown Rice also takes longer to cook than white.
However, white rice is more commonly eaten because it has a softer texture and milder flavor.
Method to Cook Starch-Free Rice
If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to traditional rice, look no further than starch-free rice.
And while it may seem like a daunting task to make starch-free rice at home, we’re here to tell you that it’s actually quite easy!
Just follow the steps below, and you’ll have a delicious and healthy meal in no time.
1 cup of rice
2 cups of water
Instructions For Starch Free Rice (Step by Step)
- Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer using cold water. Rinsing the rice removes any excess starches that can make your final dish gummy or sticky. Add the rice to the strainer and rinse it under cold water until it runs clear.
- Bring the water to a boil. Bring 2 cups of water (twice or thrice the quantity of rice, depending on the type of rice grains) to a boil over high heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add the rinsed rice and stir once. Once the water reaches a boil, add the rinsed rice and give it a quick stir with a wooden spoon or spatula and remove the cloudy liquid or starchy water. Then, reduce the heat to medium flame so that the water is at a low simmer—you should see just a few bubbles breaking on the water’s surface.
- Cover and cook for 18 minutes. Put a lid on the pot and let the rice cook for 18 minutes undisturbed—do not lift the lid! 18 minutes is just enough time to cook most types of rice; if your rice is taking longer to cook, simply continue simmering it until it’s tender through when you fluff it with a fork.
- Remove from heat and sit for 5-6 minutes before fluffing with a fork. The grain of rice should be tender. Once the cooking time is up, turn off the heat but leave the pot on the burner for an additional 5 minutes so that steam can finish cooking the rice through—this will help prevent it from being mushy when you fluff it later on. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and fluff your cooked rice with a fork before serving immediately as is or with your favorite toppings or sides!
Starch-free rice is an easy staple food to make at home with just two ingredients—rice and cold water! This method yields perfect, fluffy results every time, and there’s no need to worry about stickiness or mushiness. Next time, try this recipe and partner it with protein-rich foods to complete a healthier meal!