How To Reheat Grits
Grits are a staple food for many and they have amazing taste and texture, especially cheese grits. They are usually served at breakfast with eggs, sausage, or shrimp. It is also used as an ingredient in other dishes.
But, can you reheat grits? - Yes, you can reheat cooked grits, the best way to reheat grits for a party is in the oven. However, see below for the best 8 ways to reheat grits.
When you reheat grits, you can end up with a bland-tasting dish. The reason behind this is that the starch in the grits gets cooked out during the first heating. This is why folks will add fried shrimp, green onion, or even some cream cheese.
Can you reheat grits - yes you can and we will show you the 8 top ways to reheat grits in 2021.
This recipe will teach you how to reheat corn grits without losing their flavor.
8 Best Ways To Reheat Grits
If you have a microwave, you know you can reheat just about anything. So you probably know you can reheat grits. But if you are looking for some different ways to level up your leftover grits, you are in the right place. We will cover the following ways how you can reheat grits.
With a Microwave, you know you can heat up almost anything. This method is one of the goto ways for everybody. However, there are some other ways to warm up your leftovers and they produce really good tasting grits, with the texture you love.
Here are the best methods to reheat grits in 2021.
- How to Reheat Grits in a Microwave
- How to Reheat Grits In a BBQ
- How to Reheat Grits in Casserole Dish
- How to Reheat Grits in a Cast Iron Skillet or Pan
- How to Reheat Grits in a Deep Fryer
- How to Reheat Grits in an Oven
- How to Reheat Grits in a Dutch Oven
- How to Reheat Grits in an Air Fryer
Leftover grits are easy to store and it is important so they do not dry out. At least store them in a covered container and the best method to store grits is in an airtight container.
Before they cool down, add about 1 tablespoon of water and mix it in.
How To Reheat Grits in the Microwave
How to reheat grits even in the microwave? Follow the method below. This recipe is a quick way to heat a single serving of grits.
- Put the grits in a microwaveable dish.
- The microwave method is best for reheating a single serving of leftover grits. You can not just load them up in the microwave method.
- Microwave on high power for one minute (each microwave is different - so test your one with a single portion of grits.
- Uncover the plate and stir with a fork. If they look still dry add a little bit more water 1 or 2 teaspoons per serving
- cover again and microwave for a further 1 minute and check they are hot enough. The steam from the water will also help heat the grits.
Top Grits Reheating tip: is also to stir in a small amount of butter for flavor.
How to Reheat Grits In a BBQ
This is one of my favorite ways to reheat grits. It helps if you have a hood you can close on your BBQ and a fully cast iron pan. You will also need an oven mitt.
- Heat the BBQ up with the lid closed to over 300F
- Put the grits in a pan, with a little water, and cover with the pan lit or aluminum foil.
- BBQ the grits for 20 Minutes
- Use an oven mitt to open the lid - stir the grits and check if they are ready.
- If not put it back for another 10 minutes. After this, they should be ready to serve.
Reheat Grits on the Stove Top
The Stovetop Method To Reheat Grits with a pan or skillet.
This is a very effective way to reheat grits is on the stovetop. Reheating them on the stovetop is actually quite quick. The stovetop way allows water to be stirred in and even some butter.
- Use a non-stick saucepan, and place the grits in
- With either water, milk, or your favorite broth - stir it in the grits
- Set the heat to low and reheat
- Stir all the time to stop burning and mixing the liquid
- If the grits are too thick, add extra liquid
- Break up any chunks so you have an even texture,
- After just 3-5 minutes, your grits will be warm enough to serve
How to Reheat Grits in the Oven
The oven method lets you reheat a large number of grits for a party. You can use all the oven racks to heat multiple baking trays of grits.
- Start by removing your grits from the fridge and let them come to room temperature
- Use an oven-safe dish
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Add 1 tablespoon of water per bowl of grits
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil to keep in the steam, plus keep the grits moist.
- Heat the grits for 4 minutes
- Check the grits are ready, if not put them back for a further 3 minutes.
- Add more liquid if they are too dry
How to Reheat Grits in Casserole Dish
This method is all about preparation first. Pork Sausage Grits Casserole is a classic for me.
The key is you take your leftover grits, some cooked pork sausage, and some shredded cheese. The juice from the sausages will flavor and keep the grits moist.
- Covered the casserole dish with aluminum foil
- Preheat the oven to 325F
- Bake for 20 minutes and check the temperature. If it is not ready then put it back for a further 10 minutes.
- This savory shredded cheese casserole is an awesome brunch - or use shredded turkey from leftovers from thanksgiving dinner. Add in some turkey dripping or even gravy and this is another great casserole.
- makes a great weekend breakfast or evening meal. To reheat, you place the frozen grits casserole in the oven at 350 degrees. Cook until the center is hot.
This usually takes 30 minutes to an hour.
How to Reheat Grits in a Deep Fryer
- Take your leftover grits in and place them on a tray and try to have them at least 1 inch thick.
- The cover with plastic wrap
- Then refrigerate so they are firm
- Use around cookie cutter and cut-out rounds.
- The offcuts you can also roll into balls
- Dip the grit patties or balls in egg wash and roll Panko crumbs
- Deep Fry On hot until nice and golden in color.
These are just amazing with bacon and eggs.
How to Reheat Grits in a Dutch Oven
Dutch ovens are versatile and safe on the BBQ or even an open fire. So if you are camping then using a dutch oven is a great way to reheat grits.
- First, preheat your dutch over medium heat so it is warm
- I find using a metal stand inside the dutch oven will keep the grits off the very hot bottom
- Place an oven-proof plate or pan with the grits on the metal stand or trivet.
- Bake for 8 minutes
- Turn down the oven heat
- Stir the grits, add a tablespoon of water, plus break up any lumps
- Bake for another five minutes
- Take out and serve
How to Reheat Grits in an Air Fryer
Air Fryer Grits: This method is good for single-serve portions of grits.
When it comes to reheating grits in an air fryer, make sure that your fryer is not too hot around 300-350F is good.
Here's the method to reheat grits in an air fryer:
- Preheat Air Fryer to 350F
- Place the grits in wrapped aluminum foil packets
- Place in the basket and heat for 2 minutes.
- Use tongs to turn over the grit packets to the other side and reheat again for 1-2 minutes.
- Take out and Serve
How to make Cooked Grits taste better
To regular grits at the following condiments to add some sharper taste to the grits.
- seafood - shrimp
- chicken stock or chicken broth
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- sharp cheddar
- creole seasoning
- cayenne pepper
- fried fish
- vegetable broth
My favorite is just to add a little bit of cheddar cheese with cayenne pepper to make quick grits.
Can you reheat grits on stove?
Answer: Yes you can reheat grits on a stove - use a pan and a little bit of vegetable broth to bring some flavor.
Can grits be made ahead and reheated?
Grits are a good choice of food that you can make ahead of time and then reheat on the day of the party. How do you go about reheating grits - use the oven method for a large amount of grits to reheat or the microwave for a smaller amount.
Are grits good leftover
Grits are great leftovers and flavored with chicken broth or sausage.
Can you eat day old grits?
Yes, you can easily eat day old grits, if they are a little dry add some cream cheese to your grits recipe.
How long can you keep cooked grits in the refrigerator
Grits can be kept chilled in a refrigerator for 5 days - covered or sealed in an airtight container.
How do you keep grits from drying out
First, to keep grits from drying out store in an air-tight container.
How do you keep grits from drying out when reheating?
The best way is to add 1 tablespoon of liquid per bowl of grits and stir it through. The best 5 liquids you can add to stop grits drying out are
- Vegetable broth
- Chicken stock
- Olive oil
Can you warm up grits the next day?
Yes, it is easy to warm up grits the next day see our top 8 methods here.
How long do you heat up grits
To heat up grits the time will be between 3-8 minutes depending on the method
See also gravy and how much you need for a group.