Top 4 Ways How to Reheat Rice Without a Microwave
The goto method for most folks is the microwave when it comes to heating cooked rice up again. But what if you do not have one, we cover how to reheat rice without a microwave the top 4 methods for 2023
- Stove – or Stovetop
- Instant Pot
- Toaster Oven
How to Reheat Rice on the Stove
Use a Pan and a little water to create Steam
This method is quite speedy.
- Add the rice to the pan and 1 tablespoon of water per cup of rice
- If the cold rice is stuck together in clumps take a fork and break it up so it is free-flowing
- Now put the stovetop onto low to medium heat and put a lid on the pan
- After 2 minutes – check and stir the rice
- Continue stirring the rice at least every minute until it is hot enough for you
How to Reheat Rice in the Oven
Follow this recipe – for How to Bake Rice in the oven
Combine the rice, along with a small splash of water on a baking tray. Again I put 1 tablespoon of water per cup of rice.
- Place the rice into an oven-safe dish or baking tray and add the water
- Using a fork or knife break up any chunks of rice.
- Cover the rice quite tightly with a lid or wrap it with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 280F for 18 minutes
- Check if the rice is warm enough else put it back for another 5 minutes.
This method is great if you have to reheat a large amount of rice maybe from a leftover party. See our exact table for how much Rice per person when you have a crowd. This oven tray method lets your prepare multiple servings. If you have a toaster oven, it will also work for reheating small pans of leftover rice.
How to Heat Rice in the Instant Pot
Did you know that the Instant Pot can also be used to warm leftovers?
I have found that many foods retain their texture better in the moist environment of the Instant Pot than in a stovetop or microwave.
For instance, take rice. I am sure all of us have had a bowl of leftover rice. It can become dry and tough in the microwave. The texture and fluffiness of the rice in the Instant Pot is very good.
In the case of rice – it comes back to life almost as good as it comes out of the rice cooker, and certainly as good as microwave rice.
HOW TO REHEAT RICE IN THE INSTANT POT
The pot-in-pot recipe is my favorite way to use the Instant Pot to re-warm rice.
Put your leftover rice in a heatproof dish.
Now put the trivet into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Pour 1-2 cups of water into the instant pot, then lower the rice dish onto the trivet. If the rice is clumped up – break it up with a fork first.
There is no need to add oil, butter or milk – just leave the dish uncovered while reheating, because the steam generated by the pressure cooker helps to keep the rice moist.
Then, put the lid on, close the vent, and use the Steam function to reheat the rice.
Start with 4-5 minutes on the timer – then release the steam safely – your rice should be nice and hot. You may have to test your pot the first time as some will take 6 or 7 minutes.
If you have a lot of rice and it is cold to start with, increase the time by 3 minutes.
How to Reheat Fried Rice With A Microwave
If you go to Chinese takeaways the chances are you will have leftover or unused fried rice.
You need to have a good way to reheat fried rice. You can save fried rice for another dinner or even make it the base of a brand-new dish if you don’t throw it away.
In five easy steps, you can warm up rice that’s been fried.
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil or butter per 2 cups of rice to reheat.
- Spread your rice into the pan after the oil or butter has heated to temperature.
- Note that as you reheat fried rice, you can add all lots of yummy extra or toppings like egg, chicken, cauliflower. what ever you like
- Stir everything to mix well. Then keep stirring every 30 seconds until it’s hot. It will take about 8 minutes.
How to Store Cooked Rice
Here’s what you should keep in mind while storing cooked rice.
Rice is healthy food and it can be stored for long periods of time without spoiling or losing its nutritional value. However, if left uncovered, rice will lose moisture over time and become sticky. This makes it difficult to cook again. So, store your leftover rice properly so that you don’t have any problems with cooking it later. Use a good plastic wrap to seal the rice if it is in a bowl.
Here are some more rice tips:
- Keep raw rice covered tightly when not being used.
- Rice that won’t be used immediately can be left in the freezer
- The rice needs to be cooled down. If you allow cooked rice to sit for a few hours at room temperature, it’s going to be breeding grounds for bacteria. Place the rice in the fridge or on a baking sheet to cool it. If you do this, you can protect yourself and your family from harmful organisms.
- Make sure to remove excess air before you seal your rice in either a plastic container or zip plastic bag. Put it in the refrigerator.
Can Cooked Rice Be Frozen And Reheated?
Rice is easy to make and can be combined with so many different yummy ingredients to create easy breakfasts, lunches or weeknight meals.
Even if I made perfect rice nice and fluffy, the refrigerator will dehydrate the kernels, turning them tough, and usually turns it into sticky rice.
Can you freeze rice? Yes! You can freeze cooked rice up to three months after making it.
How long does cooked rice stay good in the freezer?
Cooked rice will remain fresh in the freezer for about three months.
Can reheating rice cause food poisoning?
Yes, you can suffer from food poisoning by eating reheated rice. The problem is not the reheated rice, but the way it’s stored.
How does reheated rice cause food poisoning?
Storing rice incorrectly is the main reason. Uncooked Rice may have spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacteria that can cause food poisoning. These spores can survive even when rice is cooked.
So when or if the rice is left standing at room temperature these spores may grow into bacteria. The bacteria then multiply and may produce toxins (i.e poisons) that actually cause vomiting or diarrhea.
The longer the rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is to be contaminated with toxins. Do not eat old rice.