How To Store Apple Crisp
Apple Crisp is a healthy dessert made with apple slices, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and flour giving a crumble topping. It is often served warm with whipped cream. It is a traditional American dessert that originated in Pennsylvania. The name comes from the word “crisp,” meaning “crunchy.” Everyone surely loves this dessert, especially when topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I mean apple pie and ice cream - who would not like that. And it is commonly made in big batches. Hence there will always be leftovers in the kitchen.
So, we have made several tips and methods on how to store your apple crisp and what to do with the leftovers. To give you an idea, it is best stored when covered with plastic wrap and placed in a cool, dry place for at least 3 days. For longer storage, you will definitely need another method like freezing.
Read more below to know.
How to Store Apple Crisp In Different Ways
It can be stored in different ways depending on its purpose. If you plan to eat it right away or serve it later, storing it in airtight containers is ideal. But if you want to save some space in your refrigerator, here are two other options:
1) Freeze Your Leftover Apple Crisp
If you don't plan to use up all of your leftovers within one week, freeze them first before putting them into freezer bags. This way, they won't take much room in your fridge. You may also put them directly into the freezer bag itself so that they stay frozen until needed.
2) Refrigerate Your Leftover Apple Crisp
You can keep your apple crisp refrigerated too. It is important to remove any excess moisture by patting down the top layer of the crust.
We have the steps on how to do these methods below.
How to Store Apple Crisp in the Fridge
According to the USDA, fruit that has been prepared with sugar can be left out at room temperature for up to two days. So, if you are going to eat apple crisp within that time period, it doesn't need to be refrigerated. However, you should keep it refrigerated if you don't finish it within two days. This will keep its shelf life for a longer period and be consumable for your next gathering.
Here's how to do it:
1. Remove excess moisture from the top layer of the crust by using paper towels. Then gently press down the top layer of crust to get rid of the excess moisture. The most common mistake people make while making this dessert is not removing enough water from the top layer of the dough.
2. Cover with plastic wrap before storing in the fridge.
3. Cover the entire dish with plastic wrap.
4. Refrigerate for a couple of days.
How to Store Apple Crisp in the Freezer
Whether baked or unbaked, you can safely freeze it without being affected by freezer burn. Here are the steps to effectively do it:
1. Before storing the food, make sure that it is cooled completely to room temperature.
2. Place the dessert in the airtight container.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
4. Freeze for up to 3 months.
5. Once ready to be served, thaw in the refrigerator and bake over 350 degrees Fahrenheit in the oven until warmed and crisp again.
Can You Freeze Apple Crisp After Its Baked
Yes! As long as you follow the above-mentioned instructions, there shouldn't be any problem freezing an already-baked apple crisp. Just remember to store it properly after defrosting. Furthermore, you must ensure that the apple slices used were fresh ones because old apple slices tend to lose their texture when cooked. Also, avoid adding extra ingredients like nuts, raisins, etc., and get the same type of apple (not the sweeter apple). Otherwise, it could affect the taste of the final product.
We hope this helps!
How to Store Apple Crisp and Prevent From Getting Soggy
1. As always, allow the apple crisp to cool.
2. Cover the crisp topping with a paper towel and then wrap the plastic on the entire container.
3. For long-term storage, you can place the dessert in the freezer. For short-term storage, you can place the dessert at room temperature, away from too much humidity or moisture.
4. Before adding any covering, make sure the apple crisp is at room temperature all the way through. It won't stay crisp for long if you cover it too quickly.
How Do You Keep Apple Crisp Topping Crispy
It tends to become soggy because they contain lots of apples that absorb liquid easily. If you want to prevent the crisp topping from getting soggy, here’s what you can do:
- Ensure that the topping has been prepared well ahead of time to not soak into the apple filling.
- Use only fresh apples. Old apples tend to turn brown very fast once exposed to oxygen. This will cause them to release more juice than new apples. If possible, use frozen apples instead of fresh ones. Frozen apples don’t spoil as fast as fresh ones. They also retain their shape better during baking.
- Make sure to have thinly sliced apples. Thicker pieces of fruit take longer to cook thoroughly. So, keep slicing them thinly.
- Don’t add brown sugar to the topping. Sugar tends to draw out juices from fruits. That means less liquid left inside the apples.
What Are the Other Ways to Make the Apple Crisp Crisp Again
If your apple crisp gets soggy even though you followed the tips mentioned earlier, try these other ways to help bring back its crispy appearance:
- Add some cornstarch to the mixture before cooking. Cornstarch acts as a thickener that prevents water from seeping into the apples.
- Bake the dish at higher temperatures. The hotter the heat, the faster the apples will dry out. Therefore, you need to increase the amount of time spent in the oven.
- Keep the topping moist by using whipped cream instead of milk. Whipped cream contains air bubbles which act as little pockets where the steam can escape.
- You may also consider placing the baked apple crisp under low-wattage lamps. These lamps are known to emit infrared rays that warm up food without heating it directly. However, note that this method might damage the surface of the food.
- Squeezing some lemon juice will prevent the apple slices from turning brown.
How to Make Apple Crisp in Advance
Making apple crisp (use granny smith) in advance allows you to enjoy it whenever you feel hungry. Here's how to prepare the recipe in advance:
1. Prepare the crust first according to package directions.
2. Store the topping and apple mixture at room temperature in the fridge.
3. Let it rest until completely cooled.
4. Bake or re-heat the crust by assembling the apple crisp with its apple slices (granny smith).
5. Once cooked, let cool completely.
6. Cover the container with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
7. When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and cut it into squares.
Cooking the dessert before storing it is a great idea since it prevents the apple from getting mushy in the fridge.
What is the Difference Between Apple Crisp vs. Apple Crumble
The difference between an apple crumble, and an apple crisp lies in the topping used for each dessert. An apple crumble has a soft crumbly topping, while an apple crisp uses a hard, crunchy one. Both desserts are delicious, but there are slight differences when making them. For example, if you make an apple crisp, you should bake it for about 30 minutes, whereas an apple crumbles need around 45 minutes to be fully done. Also, an apple crisp requires no syrup, unlike an apple crumble. Baking soda will also make it drier.
Apple Crisp Recipe for a Crowd
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
- 12 1/2 cups fresh apples, sliced (granny smith apples are best)
- 1 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/5 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 stick butter, melted butter
1. Prepare the oven for 350 degrees.
2. Set aside the deep dish pie plate or large baking dish after you grease it.
3. Combine the sliced apples with the sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
4. Mix until all of the apples are evenly coated. Pour into the baking dish.
5. Add the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon to another larger bowl.
6. Put the melted butter (unsalted butter) in and stir until it is well coated.
7. Spread the crumb mixture evenly over the apples.
8. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Allow to cool and serve with vanilla ice cream!
This easy apple crisp can also be made with almond flour and oat topping.
What are the best Topping to serve with stored apple crisp
The topping on any dessert is important and apple crisp is no different.
What to serve with or on top of apple crisp?
- caramel sauce
- cinnamon streusel topping
- crumb topping rolled oats
- maple syrup
- apple cider
- ground cinnamon
What kind of apples should you use for apple crisp?
Granny smiths are classic to use for an easy apple crisp recipe.
What types of oats do you use for apple crisp?
The best oat crumble topping will be made with traditional rolled oats - they just have more texture and taste to the dessert and when mixed with ground cinnamon it is just awesome. This is a great dessert for a thanksgiving dinner.
Does an apple crisp need to be refrigerated?
No, if you are eating it that day - you can leave it out.
How to store apple crisp after baking
To store after baking or overnight it is best to let it cool first and then cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge.
How do you freeze apples for apple crisp?
The recipe on how to freeze apples for apple crisp involves using lemon juice - this stops the apples from going brown. Lemon juice acts as a natural preservative.
Recipe to Freeze Apples for Apple Crisp.
- 1-quart water
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- On a baking tray or parchment paper - place the apples evenly spaced
- Now cover loosely with plastic wrap
- Place in the freezer and leave until frozen