How To Store Cooked Bacon – Fridge or Freezer?
Bacon is one of the most popular foods for all ages. But it is also considered one of the most versatile foods. And it does not taste good when it is not crispy, right? But do not discard it simply store the bacon, and any leftover bacon fat – that adds to the flavor.
So, what should you do with your leftover bacon or food? The answer is simple: store it properly. In this article, we’ll talk about how to store bacon or a bacon strip in different ways.
You may also like
- Which is better for cooking lard or bacon grease?
- How to Store Cooked Bacon Strips?
- How Much Bacon Do You Need Per Person To Feed A Large Group
- How to Cook Bacon in A Convection Oven
How to Store Cooked Bacon Strips
Cooking strips of bacon makes it easier to handle. But once cooked, it becomes harder to store. However, there are different ways of storing cooked bacon to make it crispy and tasty. The best method depends on how you want to consume it and how long you want to store it.
You can use the fridge in storing cooked bacon strip(s) that is the most convenient method to follow. It can be stored within 3-5 days without issue. On the other hand, if you plan to store it for several weeks, then better store it in the freezer for safety.
To get crispy bacon most people will do an oven baked bacon– see our recipe.
Bacon goes well with Gnocchi – see how to store cooked gnocchi
What Do You Need in Storing Cooked Bacon
You need these items to store your cooked bacon:
- A good knife
- Airtight container
- Paper towel
- Oven-safe pan (optional)
- Plastic wrap
- Fridge, cooler, or freezer
- baking sheet
How to Store Cooked Bacon Strips in the Cooler
If you have an icebox or cooler, then this is the easiest way to store cooked bacon strips. Follow these steps:
- Cut off any excess fat from the bacon strips using a sharp knife. This will help prevent them from sticking together.
- You can also separate you bacon slice layers with wax paper.
- Pat dry and remove excess bacon grease using paper towels.
- Layout all the pieces of bacon flat on a plate.
- Wrap each strip individually in aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Put the wrapped bacon into the cooler.
- Close the lid tightly.
- Leave the cooled bacon inside until needed.
How Long Does Cooked Bacon Last in the Cooler
Bacon will last in a cooler for about 1 day if you have a cooling pad inside as well. You should not store bacon in the cooler for a long time, but it is a great way for a bacon slice at a picnic.
How to Store Cooked Bacon Strips in the Fridge
This is also a great option because it does not require much space. Just keep some extra room in the fridge for a sheet pan of bacon – YUM. Here are the steps on How to store cooked bacon in the refrigerator.
- Remove bacon grease by using paper towels.
- So people will scrape off the leftover bacon grease and use it to cook with
- Spread the bacon strips evenly across some parchment paper or cooling rack in the fridge
- After cool – place them inside an airtight container or zip lock bag.
- You can wrap the container in a plastic wrap to prevent the air from coming in.
Store in the fridge for 4-6 days. Storing cooked bacon in the fridge is ideal if you plan to consume it again within the week.
How Long Does Cooked Bacon Last in the Fridge
Cooked bacon lasts in the fridge for up to a week.
How to Store Cooked Bacon Strips in the Freezer
Freezing Bacon is best if you are not going to use leftover bacon for a while. Here are the steps to freeze cooked bacon strips:
- Fast or flash freeze the bacon first on a cooling rack or some wax paper.
- Once frozen, transfer the bacon strips into an airtight container or zip lock bags. Make sure to suck out the excess air when using a bag.
- Label the expiration and contents before placing in the freezer.
How Long Does Cooked Bacon Last in the Freezer
Keep cooked bacon in the freezer for 3 months. After that time period, they start losing their flavor.
Cooking bacon makes it last longer in the freezer. However, there’s one thing you have to remember: freezing destroys the flavor. That means that once thawed, the taste won’t return back.
How to Avoid Freezer Burn on my Frozen Bacon
There are many ways to avoid freezers burn while cooking bacon. You may choose any of these:
- Wrap the food using plastic wrap. By doing this, it will prevent the air from coming in
- Vacuum seal. It removes all air from the package, making sure that there will be no air or water to evaporate.
- Wrap the bacon strips individually. This method makes sure that the food is packed tightly.
How to Store Bacon Grease
You should store your leftover fresh bacon grease in the fridge because it can really add flavor to a dish. You again should store it in an airtight container.
What are the Signs of Spoiled Bacon
Bacon can spoil if left out at room temperature too long or even in the fridge too long. So when buying bacon or pre cooked bacon check out whether it looks dry or wet. Also, look at how much moisture remains on the surface. A good sign of spoiled bacon is it looks slimy and smells bad. And also note the color of the meat. Darker colored meats indicate spoilage.
Signs of bad bacon are these:
- Sour smell
- Dark brownish-red color
- Smell like rotten eggs
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Store Bacon Bits?
The best thing to keep in mind here is that if you have too many bits, they will go rancid faster than normal ones. Therefore, it’s better to buy only what you’ll eat within 2 weeks. Here are the steps on how to store bacon bits in the fridge:
1. Arrange them in one layer on a baking tray.
2. Flash-freeze for 20-30 minutes.
3. Transfer them in an airtight container or ziplock.
4. Label its contents and expiration date.
5. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How Do You Store Dry Cured Bacon?
To preserve the flavor of dry-cured bacon, we recommend storing it in the refrigerator. You may wrap each piece separately using plastic wrap. However, be careful not to leave any gaps between the layers. It’s important to avoid direct contact between the different parts so that there won’t be any cross contamination.
Does Fully Cooked Bacon Need to Be Refrigerated?
Yes! As mentioned earlier, fully cooked bacon needs to be refrigerated because with air and moisture it will spoil. Bacon usually contains nitrites which help prevent bacteria growth. This means that once you’ve finished cooking your bacon, you must put it back in the fridge right away. Otherwise, the risk of bacterial growth increases significantly.
How to Store Uncooked Package of Bacon
If you bought a package of uncooked bacon and want to keep them fresh longer, then here’s what you need to do:
- If you put the fresh bacon or pre-cooked bacon into the refrigerator, make sure that the door is closed tightly so that no air gets inside. This will help prevent any kind of spoilage. You may use plastic wrap to cover the packages. However, avoid using aluminum foil because it prevents oxygen from getting through which causes rancidity.
- Do not open the package until you plan to eat it. Once opened, it loses its crispiness. So, don’t worry about opening the package before eating. Just take some slices whenever you feel like having something delicious!
- Don’t leave any slice of bacon or any unopened bacon exposed to sunlight. Sunlight damages the quality of foods such as meat products.
What Do You Need in Storing Raw Bacon
You would probably need some kitchen stuff such as:
- Paper towels
- Airtight container
- Plastic wrap
- Fridge or freezer
What are the Steps in Storing Uncooked Package of Bacon in the Refrigerator
Here are the steps in storing uncooked bacon in the fridge:
1. Cover the bacon with plastic wrap. Use only clean ones without bacon grease stains. Do not reuse old plastic bags.
2. If you buy packaged bacon, then place it on top shelf of the refrigerator. Make sure that the coldest part of the refrigerator is where you would normally find the crisper drawer. It helps maintain the best condition of the product.
How Long Does Uncooked Bacon Last in the Refrigerator
Uncooked bacon usually lasts up to three weeks in the refrigerator. But remember that once it goes past four days, it starts losing its flavor. Therefore, it is recommended to consume within five days after purchase.
What are the Steps in Storing Uncooked Package of Bacon in the Freezer
Here are the things you need to do when storing uncooked package of bacon:
1. Place the package of raw bacon strips in a freezer bag. Avoid placing it directly in the container. Instead, first lay down a piece of paper towel over the frozen bacon.
2. Then add another layer of paper towels to remove the bacon grease followed by the frozen bacon. Finally, seal the bag or airtight container.
3. Label the bag clearly stating the date and contents. Keep the bacon strips in the freezer for up to three months.
3. Remove the bacon after 3-4 weeks.
How Long Does Uncooked Bacon Last in the Freezer
The average lifespan of uncooked or pre-cooked bacon in the freezer can go around several months. The reason why they last longer than other food items is due to their high fat content. When cooking bacon, heat penetrates deep into the center of the pork belly. As a result, there’s more moisture retained in the meat compared to other types of meats.