How To Store Kale Chips
The humble Kale Chip is a healthy snack to have in your pantry. They’re healthy, they taste good, and you can eat them as is or add some salt for extra crunch! It is a perfect snack for gathering with friends and family.
With that, we have made tips on how to store your favorite kale chips, (you want a crispy kale chip) as well as how to make them crispy for your next eat-out. To give you a glimpse of it, the most basic way to store kale chips is by storing them in a proper container, and if do so can last for many days. This way, the kale chip will keep its freshness and crispness. Alternatives to kale chips can be made from other vegetables.
See our storage tips for
Read more below to know more storage tips to keep that kale crisp.
How do you Store Kale Chips
How to store baked kale chips? Storing kale chips is easy. They have similar steps in storing oven-baked snacks like roasted chickpeas and apple chips or even potato chips. The most important thing you need to keep in mind is maintaining the chips crispy, especially if you want to store them for a long time.
To keep them safe and crispy, you have to follow the steps we give below. Also, proper storage extends the food’s shelf life for several weeks.
What Do You Need in Storing Kale Chips
You don’t need anything special when storing kale chips except for a clean place where you can put them away safely. Here are what you should consider:
1. A Clean Place – Make sure there isn’t any dust or dirt in the container or bag and do not store in sunlight.
2. An Airtight Container – Keep the containers tightly closed so that oxygen doesn’t get inside.
3. Proper Storage Temperature – this means in the pantry is best – not on the bench in the sun.
4. Humidity Control – If you live in a humid climate this is not so good for the leafy green raw kale – so store the raw kale in the vegetable part of the fridge. Same for the crispy baked kale chips – too much humidity is the number one enemy of kale chips.
5. Packaging Material – Choose packaging material with high oxygen barrier properties such as aluminum foil, plastic wrap, etc. These materials prevent moisture from getting inside the packet.
6. Label Instructions – Good practice – Write down the details about the content and expiration date. (e.g have you put seasoning or garlic salt already on the chips.
How to Store Kale Chips for Long Term Use
The best way to store fresh kale chips for months is to freeze them. You most likely will need to put them on a cookie sheet or baking tray to crisp them up when you defrost, but they can keep for months this way.
If you’re planning to consume them within two days, you just need to store them in a sealed jar or Ziploc bag.
How To Freeze Kale Chips
Freezing helps preserve foods’ nutrients and flavors. So, freezing makes kale chips last longer than usual.
1. Take one cup of dry kale leaves and cut them into small pieces.
2. Put these ingredients together in a freezer container – some people also line it with parchment paper.
3. Then, transfer the leafy green kale to the freezer until completely frozen. Once done, remove the contents from the freezer.
4. After removing your kale chips from the freezer, vacuum seal all the containers using a hand vacuum cleaner. This will help eliminate odors and bacteria which could cause mold growth as well as extend shelf life.
Use Sealed Containers
If you do not want to freeze your fresh kale chips, you can opt to place them in sealed containers. Here are the tips:
- Just keep in mind that you have to dry them completely and store them a room temperature. This applies to all kinds, whether it is homemade, baked, or plain kale chips.
- pat dry gently with a paper towel
- Place them away from any moisture to prevent from being soggy kale chips.
- Mixing them with uncooked rice inside the container is also a great thing since it absorbs excess moisture. Hence it keeps the crispy kale chips throughout the storage process.
Steps on How to Store Leftover Kale Chips
You don’t have to worry much when storing leftover homemade kale chips. All you need to remember is to make sure there isn’t any moisture left over. Just quickly put any left kale chips back into an airtight container. Also, avoid leaving them out at room temperature.
Here are the steps on how to do it:
1. Take out the desired bunch of kale chips from the sealed container. Cool them completely.
2. Store in an airtight container. Try to store at room temperature (68-72 °F).
3. Add uncooked rice inside the container if you are in a humid environment.
4. If you plan to make them crunchier after storing them, bake the kale chips at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-10 minutes. The heat will crisp up the chips without burning them. But watch to make sure they do not burn the first time you do this, as each oven is different.
How Long Do Kale Chips Last
Kale chips usually last about one week, but some say they can be kept even longer, depending on their preparation method.
On the other hand, baked or homemade kale chips can only stay fresh for a maximum of 3 days, even if you keep them at a cool, dry room temperature. If you are in a humid environment, the chips are more likely to lose their crunch faster in a matter of 24-48 hours.
Why Do Kale Chips Get Soggy
The main reason why your perfect kale chips become soggy is because of the high water content in the kale leaf – so dehydrating correctly is a key step.
If you are using oil when making kale chips, you must use enough oil to coat each piece of kale leaf thoroughly. But, this does not mean that you cannot add extra virgin olive oil later on for taste.
One tip is that you can try using dried herbs like rosemary or thyme. They work well in preventing soggy kale chips while keeping the flavor intact.
How to Keep Baked Kale Chips Crispy
Everyone loves to have crunchy kale chips. But sometimes, we end up with those soggy ones, which makes us feel disappointed. This happens primarily due to improper handling of the ingredients used. Here are the suggestions on how to prevent your crispy kale chips from getting soggy:
- Use a nonstick baking sheet and place only a single layer of kales. Make sure to wipe out the extra moisture by using a paper towel or kitchen towel.
- Avoid greasy surfaces since grease tends to stick onto the food items placed on top of it. Grease also causes the foods to absorb excess fat, which leads to sogginess.
- Keep the oven temperature low. You should set the temperature between 200°C – 250°C. This way, the moisture evaporates over time without burning to allow the chips to become crispy.
- If possible, store the prepared kale chips in an airtight container.
What Can You Do With Leftover Kale Chips
Kale chips are great snacks, but they do not last long. Once you finish eating all of them, you need something else to fill the voids. There are many ways to enjoy leftover kale chips. Some people prefer to eat them straight away, while others save them until another mealtime comes around. Either way, here are some ideas on what you can do with leftover kale chips:
- Make salad dressing
- Add to soups
- Mix it with pasta
- Turn into Kale skillet side dish
- Add to scrambled eggs
How to Make Crispy Kale Chips (Crispy Kale Chips Recipe)
Here are the steps and ingredients needed to achieve baked crispy kale chips.
- 1 bunch of raw kale leaves
- 1/4 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Salt & pepper
1. Preheat first the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes.
2. Prepare the baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Wash the kale leaves, then remove any stems. Chop the kale leaves finely into bite-sized pieces. ( I uses a salad spinner to remove all the water.
4. Place chopped kale leaves in a bowl. Toss the oil and mix them all together.
5. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder. Mix. Set aside.
6. Add the nutritional yeast.
7. Spread out a single layer of kale leaves into the dry baking sheet.
8. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The kale will shrink and get firm eventually.
9. Bake for another 10 minutes if you want to get it crunchier.
10. Let it cool and serve.
How to Eat kale chips with flavor?
This really comes down to just how do you season kale chips?
What are the best toppings you can put on kale recipe for chips for a party or big group
- sesame seeds
- cayenne pepper
- almond butter
- sea salt
- grated parmesan cheese
- avocado oil
- garlic salt
- crunchy chickpeas