How To Store Rice Noodles – The Top 5 Ways
Rice noodles are a staple in Southeast Asian cuisine. They are usually served as cold noodles, but can also be used in noodle soups and stir-fries.
The most common type of rice noodle found in Asian markets is the Chinese-style wheat flour based variety called “cellophane” or “glass”.
Other types include Japanese rice flour based udon, Korean japchae, and Thai Khanom chin (Thai cooking – noodle soups).
You may also hear the term vermicelli noodles. Are Rice noodles and vermicelli noodles the same? – Yes both are made from rice flour – the cooked vermicelli being a thin form, often a flat rice noodle.
They should be kept properly so that rice noodles do not stick.
They are often found in the refrigerated section of grocery stores, but if you want to store them to keep them fresh, we have some easy tips for you.
To give you a glimpse, the best way to store them is at room temperature for up to one week. If you want to keep them longer than that, then freeze them first.
How to Store Rice Noodles In Different Methods
First, you will need to rinse your vermicelli rice noodles under running water until they become clear.
That is an important step to make sure that they are clean and not contaminated. Below, we have different methods for storing rice noodles. Choose whatever will suit you best.
How Do You Refrigerate Fresh Rice Noodles
Storing uncooked noodles in the fridge is the easiest thing to do. This method works great when you don’t plan on using them right away. (See How To Keep Pho In The Fridge)
It’s recommended to use this method only once because after that, the texture may get soggy. Here’s how to do it:
1. Just put the fresh noodles into a container with enough space so that there’s no contact between each other. Make sure that the container has tight-fitting lid as well.
2. Put them inside the refrigerator immediately.
3. Don’t forget to label what kind of food you’re putting inside. For example, if you put plain white rice noodles, just write “rice noodles” instead of writing down any specific brand name.
3. After about 3 days, check out whether the noodles still look good. If yes, continue to store them in the same manner. Otherwise, throw them out. If you’re planning to eat them within 1 day, then just place them inside the refrigerator without any cover.
4. If your rice noodles become hard, soften them by soaking them in a hot water and cover with a paper towel for 30 seconds.
You can also add spice and taste to your noodles – follow our noodle taste method.
How Long Do Fresh Rice Noodles Last in the Fridge
The shelf life the fresh noodles depends on their storage conditions. When stored properly, they should last anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months depending on the quality of the product. However, if you leave them outside the fridge too long, they might start losing moisture which makes them taste bad. So always remember to take them back inside before they go stale.
How Do You Freeze Fresh Rice Noodles
Freezing the noodles isn’t really necessary since they already come frozen. But sometimes, people like to prepare meals ahead of time and save money by buying pre-made ones. And freezing them helps prevent mold growth. There are two ways to freeze fresh noodles:
1. Cook them first with boiling water and let them cool off. Then transfer them to freezer bags and seal tightly. They’ll stay fresh for 6 months. (Tip put a couple of drops of lime juice – it acts as a natural preservative and gets rid of any odor.
2. Place them directly in the freezer bag itself without boiling water. Label it clearly with the date and contents.
How Long Do Fresh Rice Noodles Last in the Fridge
You can safely store them for up to six months. As mentioned above, the best way to preserve them is to cook them first and then freeze them. Once cooked, simply follow the instructions given above.
How to Store Leftover Rice Noodles
Leftover noodles can be kept in an airtight container or plastic wrap for at least one week. Keep in mind that leftover noodle dishes tend to lose flavor over time. Therefore, make sure to keep them properly.
How Do You Refrigerate Leftover Rice Noodles
If you have leftover noodles, here’s how to refrigerate them:
1. Transfer them to a bowl and add some cold water until they become soft again. This will help remove excess starch.
2. Drain the water and pat dry using clean kitchen towels or paper towels.
3. Lay the dry noodles flat on a plate and cover them with aluminum foil.
4. Wrap the whole thing in another piece of aluminum foil and secure it.
5. Now, place them in the refrigerator. And they will be ready when you want them.
How Long Do Leftover Rice Noodles Last in the Fridge
Depending on what kind of dish you made, leftovers may not necessarily spoil after 7 days if stored properly. It all depends on the ingredients you use as well as other factors such as temperature. For example, when making
How Do You Freeze Leftover Rice Noodles
There are several options available in freezing rice noodles. Here are three different methods that you can follow:
Method 1 – Freezer Bag Method
Cooked rice noodles can be placed into a ziploc freezer bag and sealed tight. Make sure to label the package so you know exactly what was put inside. Frozen rice noodles will remain good for about 3 months.
Method 2 – Air Tight Container Method
Place your leftover noodles into an airtight container and close the lid. If possible, try to avoid storing them near any strong odors. Stored this way, they should last for 4 weeks.
Method 3 – Plastic Wrapped Method
This method works great for those who don’t want to bother labeling their packages. Simply lay down a sheet of plastic wrap and spread the noodles evenly across it. Fold the edges of the plastic together and twist the ends firmly. Leave the wrapped noodles in the fridge overnight before placing them back in the freezer.
How to Reheat Leftover Rice Noodles
Reheating frozen rice noodles isn’t difficult. Just remember to defrost them slowly by soaking them in hot tap water. After 10 minutes, drain off the liquid and rinse under running water. Then, let them sit in warm water for 5-10 more minutes. Finally, transfer them to a microwave safe bowl and heat them according to the directions provided below.
Steps in Microwaving Leftover Rice Noodles:
1. Place the cooked noodles into a microwavable bowl.
2. Cover the top tightly with either cling film or aluminium foil.
3. Cook them on high power for 30 seconds per serving.
4. Remove from the microwave and serve the soft rice noodles immediately.
How to Prepare Rice Noodles in Advance
Rice noodle is commonly cooked as Flat Rice Noodle dishes(e.g. pad thai noodles}. They are usually best served fresh because they tend to get soggy over time. However, there is no reason why you cannot prepare these ahead of time. In fact, many people do just that! The following tips will show you how to make rice noodles ahead of time.
Steps in Preparing Rice Noodles Ahead Of Time:
1. Bring a large pot filled with salted water to boil.
2. Add the uncooked rice noodles to the hot water and cook until tender but firm.
3. Drain and set aside.
4. Heat up some oil in a wok or skillet.
5. Once heated, add garlic and ginger paste along with chopped green onions.
6. Stir fry for about one minute.
7. Next, pour in soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper.
8. Pour in vegetable stock and bring mixture to a simmer.
9. Reduce heat to low and allow soup to thicken slightly.
10. When cooked, let it sit for at least 20 minutes before storing in the fridge.
Read how to reheat rice noodles above when you plan to serve it already.
How to Keep Rice Noodles From Sticking Together
If you have trouble keeping rice noodles separate while cooking, here’s a tip that may help:
First, soak the noodles in cold water for 15 minutes. This helps loosen them up and makes them easier to handle during preparation. Second, once drained, place them in ice bath for another five minutes. Third, dry out the noodles thoroughly using paper towels. Fourth, store them in a resealable bag in the refrigerator.