Sumatra Beef Richly Seasoned Stew Daging Cancang Hearty Beef Dish From Indonesia Made In A Pressure Cooker
DELICIOUS PADANG INDONESIAN BEEF
Padang food or cuisine comes from the people of Sumatra, Indonesia. Also famous for its coffee.
This style of food is among the most popular food in southeast Asia.
Prepare Ingredients For Making a Paste
It is known across Indonesia as Masakan Padang after the city of Padang the capital city of West Sumatra province. Padang food is in almost every in Indonesian city and is popular in Malaysia and Singapore as well.
Rough Chop the shallots to put in the blender. We used the larger size ones – so we had 2, however if you buy the smaller size ones, you may need up to 4-6.
Prepare The Chili
Continue to cut and prepare the lemongrass, galangal, ginger, chili for the paste. Also just add in the garlic and candlenuts
Prepare The Beef
Dice the Beef into equal sized chunks – so they cook evenly. We also had quick a bit of fat on the top of our Beef which we also diced up as it adds flavor and sweetness. Just remember to tabe out after cooking before you serve the dish.
Make The Paste
Blend the paste mixture for approximately 3 minutes – until a smooth paste. You can add a small amount of water to help mixing and therefore make the paste smooth.
Cook The Paste
Turn on the instant pot to high saute, wait till it shows hot (about 4-5 minutes) and then add a little oil ( 2 tablespoons) and cook the paste for about 3 minutes.
Also adding in the Kaffir Lime and Bay leaves – first crushing them in your hand first to release the flavor
Final preparation is to add the best and stir followed by the water plus salt pepper sugar and sweet soy sauce.
Then cook for 30 minutes under high pressure and with 10 minutes natural release.
We served this dish with rice – but you can choose what ever your favorite side dish is.
For full instructions see the video and the recipe below.
Indonesian Padang Beef Stew
- 3 chili
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 10 candlenuts if no candlenuts use macadamia nuts
- 1 thumb galangal if no fresh use powder 1 tsp
- 1 thumb ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 french shallots or 4 small shallots
- 1 star anise
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce kecup manis
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 lbs beef
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Dice the beef to evenly sized pieces
- Cut and prepare the lemongrass, galangal, ginger, chili, and shallots. Also just add in the garlic and candlenuts (if you do not have candlenuts use macadamia nuts)
- Blend for approximately 3 minutes - until a smooth paste. You can add a small amount of water to help mixing and therefore make the paste smooth
- Turn on the instant pot to high saute, wait till it shows hot (about 4-5 minutes) and then add a little oil ( 2 tablespoons) and cook the paste for about 3 minutes.
- Crush the bay and kaffir lime leaves in your hand and add them to the paste while still stirring.
- Next, add the beef and stir well to mix.
- Add water, salt, pepper, sugar and sweet soy sauce and stir in
- Put on the lid and cook for 30 mins with 10 minutes natural release
- After cooking then you are ready to plate up - we served this with a side of rice
We are happy to say we are featured on Feedspot as a Top Instant Pot Recipe Blog.