What is Tri-Tip Steak?
Tri-Tip gets its name from the way it is cut in a triangular shape. It is a cut of meat that is from the bottom of the sirloin. It usually has a piece of fat attached, but the meat itself is lean or lower in marbling.
As for it at your butcher, if you can not find it at the grocery store.
How Do You Season Tri-Tip?
A rub or seasoning mix is the best way to season or flavor- this is key to having a successful dish.
Top 3 ways to Season Tri Tip Roast
- salt and pepper (and a pinch of cayenne)
- steak rub
- cajun seasoning mix
Baja Tri tip Dry Rub Mix
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons rosemary powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Add all the ingredients to a container with a lid.
- Shake well to blend.
Simple Steak Dry Rub Mix Recipe
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon rosemary powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Do you have to use a dry rub on Tri-Tip?
No you do not have to use a dry rub
What is the best alternative to a dry rub
Use real herbs and spices and beef broth as you cook. Add 1 cup of diced onion, and 4 finely diced cloves of garlic, salt and pepper, and a pinch of cayenne pepper with 1 teaspoon of soy sauce when you cook in the tri tip steak in the instant pot. Actually putting in one bay leaf if you have it also adds to the flavor.
You can also add 1/4 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce also.
How to Cook Tri-Tip in an Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
The methods for cooking sirloin tip roast in an Instant Pot, an electric pressure cooker, a multi-cooker such as the Ninja Foodi or even an older stove-top pressure cooker are very similar.
Instant Pot Tri Tip
- 3 pounds tri tip beef
- 1 Onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons of the rub of your chocie
- Prepare your Seasoning Chop and Dice your onions and garlic so they are ready to sweat down.
- Dry Rub If you are using a dry rub - massage it into the steak.
- Searing the Meat This is a key step as it helps trap in the moisture and also the brown bits on the bottom of the pot at lots of flavor to the beef stock when you are cooking it. Even if you are using a slow cooker or crock pot - you should still sear your tri tip roast. If your pressure cooker does not have a sear function just do it in a frying pan or you can skip that step.
- Use the Trivet or Rack (Instant Pot Beef Tips) Put the rack that came with your instant pot on the bottom of the stainless steel bowl and place the tri tip on it. This will stock you getting a burn warning from the instant pot.
- Add Liquid When cooking Tri-Tip in an Electric Pressure Cooker, add at least 1 cup of beef broth (remember you are placing sirloin roast on a trivet). The goal is to have the liquid just below the rack or trivet,
- Final Use a 10-minute natural release of pressure the instant pot beef timer goes beep! - How to cool a stovetop Pressure Cooker - Put the conventional pressure cooker in the sink and run cold water over the pot until steam does not come out anymore. From here you can choose what side dishes to add to your really tender triptip steak
How to cool a stovetop Pressure Cooker - Put the conventional pressure cooker in the sink and run cold water over the pot until steam does not come out anymore.
Instant Pot Tri Tip Recipe
You can vary these cooking times depending on how well cooked you want your tri-tip roast.
I try to go for medium doneness so that the meat is a little pink in the middle. Cooking so that it is pull-apart tender you will need to cook for 55 minutes.
- 3 pound tri-tip roast
- 3 - 4 tablespoons of dry rub mix
- 2 cup beef stock or broth
Slice the layer of fat off of the tri-tip.
Rub and cover the dry rub into each side of the tri-tip.
Turn the Instant Pot to high-temperature Saute.
Cook the meat for about 3 minutes each side until brown
Take out the meat, put in the trivet (rack) - place the tri-tip roast on top - Add the stock to the pot so that it is just underneath the meat.
Cook on "high-pressure" for 30 minutes with 10 minutes natural release.
Take out the tri tip and let the roast rest for 4-5 minutes before slicing
See our Ultimate Steak Doneness Guide Here
How to Make Tri Tip Beef Gravy
Use the liquid (beef drippings) to make wonderful gravy.
Turn the Instant Pot back to the saute function and first reduce the volume by boiling for 5-10 minutes until it has decreased by 30%
In a small glass combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of water and mix well.
Slowly add the cornstarch to the drippings, stirring well. Then make sure you cook it by boiling it for another 2-3 minutes so that the cornstarch taste is gone, and you are left with a rich and thick gravy.
Top Beef Gravy Flavor Tips
You can consider adding one or more of the ingredients to vary the flavor of the gravy depending on your taste.
- mushroom soup mix
- tomato paste
- olive oil
Chefs Tip How do I but a tri tip steak
Buy a tri tip pre-seasoned from your butcher. Ask then a couple of days in advance and you will have a real special roast.
Chefs Tip on how to apply a dry rub to a tri tip steak.
Put the rub on and wrapped it in plastic wrap for 3 hours in the fridge. (take out 1 hour before cooking to allow it to come up to room temperature.
Is Tri Tip tender or tough
Tri Tip can be cooked to be really tender - especially in a pressure cooker
How do you cook Costco tri tip
Costco tri tips can be cooked to be very juicy and tender in an Instant Pot
How do you tenderize tri tip
The best way to tenderize a tri tip californian steak is to cook in an Instant pot
Can you cook a tri tip like a brisket or pot roast?
Yes - the method and recipe here can be used for these cuts of steak.
What Can I serve with my tri tip Steak
- Roast Veggies
- Roast Potatoes
- French Fries
You can also make tri tip tacos and an amazing sandwich.
How much tri tip per person?
Triangle-shaped tri-tip is one of the best steaks for grilling. It has a nice marbling throughout the meat, making it juicy and tender. The triangle shape allows for even cooking and gives the meat a beautiful presentation. And do not for get to season it with your favorite rub.
Tri-tip is also known as “bottom round” or “bottom sirloin”. It is usually sold at butcher shops and grocery stores.
If you are having a big party or a large group of people how much tri tip per person?
Answer: 8oz of tri tip steak per person.