You can read more about the above herbs in our Ultimate Herb Guide.
Irish Beef Stew Instant Pot
Irish Beef stew is a beef and root vegetable stew made famous in Ireland. As in all traditional folk dishes, the exact recipe is not consistent from time to time, or place to place.
- 2 lbs Beef Diced 1kg
- 1 med Onions
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 sticks Celery
- 6 Button Mushrooms
- 1 cup Peas
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme Powder 20 g fresh 1 oz
- 1/2 teaspoon Rosemary Powder 10g fresh 0.5 oz
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3/4 cup Draught Beer
- 1 oz Brown Sugar 25g
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper ground
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 cups Beef Stock
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 med Carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Parsley - Fresh if you have it.
- 1/2 cup Diced Tomato
- 1 tablespoon Paprika Powder
- 1 tablespoon Lea and Perrins
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper to your taste
- Turn the Instant pot to high saute and wait for it to show hot - ours took 5 mins then add the oil let the oil heat up for 2-3 mins and add the beef to cover the bottom of the bowl. If you have more beef after the first lot is browned take out and put in the second lot. Doing this lets the beef get seared properly.
- Take out the beef and add first the onions and then the garlic and cook until they change color and become clear.
- Next, add in the rest of the ingredients and put back the beef - give them all a stir together well. Add in all the liquids and get the beef mixed and soaked in the liquids
- Put on the lid and cook for 30 mins high pressure and 10 minutes of natural release.
- If the stew is a little running for you you can easily thick it with corn starch - see our picture and instructions below.
Can freeze well and we made the leftovers into pies - yum!!
Also see our amazing Belgium Beer Stew recipe.