A winter warming stew - made special with jackfruit and Indonesian spices and flavors.
2 stalks lemongrass
1 thumb galangal (if no fresh use powder 1 tsp)
1 thumb ginger
3 cloves garlic
2 french shallots (or 4 small shallots)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup beef stock
1 can coconut cream
2 lbs beef
1 tbs brown sugar
2 bay leaves
4 kaffir lime leaves
1 Fresh Turmeric Leaf (Only if you have it)
2 tablespoons oil
1 Jackfruit (Can use canned if none fresh)
The method is really quite simple, even though there are a few ingredients.
- Slice the turmeric (peel first - tip use a spoon to peel turmeric and ginger - see our video), garlic, ginger, galangal, and shallots and put in a food processor along with the deseeded red chili - see the video for a more detailed view on how to make and cook the paste.
- Slice open the chili and deseed them (because if we leave in the seeds it may make it too hot) and then slice them and add to the food processor
- The Paste ingredients are chili, galangal (if none fresh use powder 1 tsp), ginger, garlic, and shallots.
- Also, add some water just to make it easy to blend into a paste. It is going to take about 3-5 minutes for your food processor to blend it evenly and small enough. Stop 2 or 3 times and scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl to make sure that all is mixed evenly.
- We had a fresh turmeric leaf - strip the middle out of it and tie it in a knot - to add to the instant pot when you cook the final dish later. If you do not have one - just leave it out.
- Peel the outer layer of the lemongrass and chop off the ends. Give the lemongrass a bash with the end of the knife to help release the flavor
- Slice the meat into large pieces
- Prepare the Jackfruit
- Tip - Jackfruit is really sticky flesh - so spray your knife with some cooking oil before you start to cook - it will make it much easier to clean later. Slice off the top and the bottom first and discard those sections. Then peel the sides off. Now slice into quarters and remove some of the core which is quite tough. Now cut it into quite large chunks. Now it is ready to add to the mix later
- The next step is to cook the paste. Turn on the instant pot to saute hot and add some oil.
- Tip in the paste and cook for about 3-4 minutes stirring well.
- After about 1 minute add the lemongrass stalks, crush the kaffir lime leaves and add them
- You can tell when it is cooked as the fragrant smell arrives and the color darkens slightly.
- When the paste is cooked then add the meat chunks and continue stirring well. Then add in the jackfruit and continue stirring to get the paste mixed as much as possible. Add in some of the coconut cream which we diluted with about 30% water. Add the remaining kaffir lime leaves, bay leaves, and along with the knotted turmeric leaf. Then add your beef stock liquid.
- Add the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 25 minutes with 10 minutes natural pressure release.
- After cooking - check the meat is tender and then add the remainder of the coconut cream - undiluted - stir and bring to the boil so the coconut cream is cooked in.
- Now it is time to taste the mix for seasoning - and add salt pepper and sugar according to taste - giving a good stir each time you add more seasoning.
Freezes Well - if you have any leftover!
- Calories: 355