Javanese Chicken Curry Instant Pot
Java Gulai Ayam – Indonesian Chicken Curry.
- 1 quill cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon powder
- 2 star anise
- 5 cardamon pods
- 7 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lemongrass
- 9 shallot cloves
- 2 large chilli – deseeded
- 0.3 oz ginger 10g
- 0.17 oz galangal 5g
- 0.3 oz turmeric 10g
- 14 oz coconut cream 400g
- 10.5 oz chicken stock 300g
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 kaffir lime leaf If you have them
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 lbs chicken 1kg
- 2 small potatoes cut into big chucks 2 inches
- First, wash the Chicken – Traditional Way To Wash Chicken.
- Wash the chicken first with water and then sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt. Then add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Mix these well all around the chicken – this adds to the taste and cleanliness. Leave this mix with the chicken as it adds to the taste of the overall dish. (see photo above)
Prepare the Curry Paste
- Using a stick blender or food processor and add the roughly diced shallots, garlic, sliced turmeric, sliced galangal, chopped and deseeded chili, and blend until it is a nice slight runny paste.
- Stop from time to time and wipe down the sides of the food processor bowl with a spatula so all the ingredients are blended evenly.
- (Tip you can also add a little chicken stock (a teaspoon or so) just to give a little wetness to the paste. )
Cook The Curry Paste And Other Ingredients
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté.
- Add the curry paste to the Instant Pot bowl with a tiny amount of oil.
- You want to cook out the paste to bring out the flavor – then add the lemongrass (after crushing it) and bruise the kaffir lime leaves as you add them. (If you do not have these just leave them out)
- Then add all the other ingredients – except the potatoes and the chicken.
- Stir this well so it is evenly mixed.
- Into you wet mix – now add the potato and chicken and stir gently but well so that the wet mix goes all over them.
- Now you are ready to cook.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 15 minutes, and let it naturally release the pressure for 10 mins after the timer has beeped.