See Also Our Indonesian Nasi Kuning Recipe
Konro Indonesian Beef Rib Soup
KONRO (INDONESIAN MAKASSAR BEEF-RIBS SOUP) Made in an Instant Pot in less than 60 minutes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 lbs beef ribs
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- 4 cups of water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon Indonesian sweet soy sauce ketchup manis
- 2 tablespoons crispy fried shallots
- 1 lime cut in wedges
- 1 small chili
- Also if you have Kluwak nuts add about 5 to the paste mix before grinding. If you do not have these do not worry – just leave them out
- Spice Paste Recipe
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds or powder
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 small shallots peeled
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- To prepare the paste first dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds in a pan over low heat for 3-4 mins. Be Careful not to have it too hot else they will burn. You can tell they are ready when they release their fragrant smell which you will easily sense.
- Then grind them together with the peppercorns and cloves until fine – We used spice or coffee bean grinder.
- Now add to a hand Blitzer bowl or food processor and add in the garlic, shallots. Add a little oil to wet the mix so that it keeps turning in the processor and is slightly wet.
- Cut the beef ribs into single portions
- Turn on the instant pot to saute and when hot add the oil-wet paste mix to the bowl and cook it for 3-4 minutes stirring.
- Add beef ribs to instant pot and cook for about 5 minutes while you continue stirring
- Then add the tamarind paste, sweet soy sauce, salt, pepper, and water to the bowl
- Cook on high pressure for 25 mins and 10 minutes natural pressure release
- After cooking then taste the broth and add salt, pepper, sweet soy sauce. I also suggest adding a little bit of chili and then taste. You will find the chili does bring the flavor to life.
- Then serve in a bowl topping with spring onions and dried shallots
Really Nice Flavor For A Cold Winters Broth