This festive steamed lemon orange pudding recipe is the perfect solution for those who find the classic Christmas pudding a little too Rich. I call this a perfect New Years Cake - fresh, tangy and really easy to make - and it looks fantastic also.
3 Oranges (Use Zest and Juice)
2 Oranges sliced for decoration
2 Lemons (Use Zest and Juice)
12.3 oz Sultanas (350g)
4.4 oz sugar (125g)
3.5 Dried Diced Apricots (100g)
4.4 oz Butter (125g)
4.4 oz self-raising flour (125g)
3.5 oz fresh white breadcrumbs (100g)
1.75 oz crystallized ginger chopped (50g)
1.7 oz Rum (50g)
3 tablespoons Honey
3.5 oz butter - soft (100g)
2 lb pudding basin (1kg)
- Use a reasonably fine grater to zest the lemon and Orange. Be careful not to take the white pith of the Orange as it is quite bitter.
- Brush your bowl first inside with soft butter and then line the bowl with parchment paper you have cut to size. The butter will help the paper stick.
- Then gently brush the paper also with a little butter and this will help you peel it off the cake when the cooking is complete.
- Place your best looking slices of oranges in the bowl - again the butter will help them stick to the side of the bowl and stay there until you put in the cake mix.
- Start with the flour, sugar and fruit then adding the butter mixing for 2-3 minutes on a slower speed. (See our video)
- Then Step by Step add the Lemon and Orange Zest, followed by the juices, honey, rum (optional).
- Then add the eggs one by one - then the honey and give it a good mix.
- The mix is quite a wet mix, pour slowly into the prepared bowl letting the mix settle, so that the gapes around the oranges you placed in before are all filled up.
- Now cover the bowl with parchment paper and foil and secure with a rubber band.
- Put The trivet in the bowl and some water.
- Using the Foil slings lower the bowl into the instant pot and top up with water so that you are between 50% and 75% the way up the bowl.
- Put on the top, and cook for 80 minutes with fast pressure release.
- Let The cake cool for 20-30 minutes and then turn it out - and you are ready to serve.
Serve the cake alone of with your favourite side topping.
- Calories: 455
Keywords: lemon orange cake dessert