Pork Stuffed Cabbage Leaves - Sarma - Innstant Pot
1 onion chopped
1 carrot grated
1 lb pork mince (500g)
¼ lb chopped bacon or speck
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper (ground from peppermill if possible)
2.5 oz long grain rice 75g
1 cup ml water
1 egg beaten
For Cooking In The Instant Pot
1 Cabbage - peel the leaves off carefully as you re going to wrap these around the pork
3 cloves garlic chopped
½ teaspoon black peppercorns
4 bay leaves
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
1 Cup Water (or chicken stock) - just below the trivet level
16 new potatoes skin on
1-2 tablespoons butter
¼ teaspoon caraway seeds
Salt pepper to taste
1 handful flat-leaf parsley chopped
2 tablespoons sour cream
- Turn on the Instant Pot to Saute High and let it warm up till it says hot (apprx3-5mins)
- Add the butter and let it melt
- Then add the onions and carrots and let them seat for 5-7 minutes stirring from time to time so they do not burn
- Then add the chopped bacon and cook for about 2-3 minutes
- Then add the pork mince and stir till it is partially cooked- approx 5 mins - you may find it helpful to have a cloth or tea towel to hold the instant pot bowl (which is hot) to stop it from turning as you stir and mix the mince with a wooden spoon
- Then add the rice with the salt, pepper, and paprika and stir and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Then add the water and stir in and cook for another 3-5 minutes
- Then take out and put the pork mince into a tray and put in the fridge to cool
- Put some water and bring it to the boil - either in the instant pot - or a pot on the hotplate may be quicker and take your cabbage leaves you have peeled from the cabbage. We cut out the large hard white cabbage veins that would make it difficult to wrap the cabbage leaf around the pork parcel
- Blanch the cabbage leaves just to soften them for 2-3 minutes
- Then use the remaining water to cook the new potatoes.
- Take the pork mince mix which has now cooled down and put into a bowl and add one egg and mix well by hand.
- After this then take the cabbage leaves and make small meat wraps as per the photo,
- Put the trivet into the instant pot and add water so that it comes just below the trivet - also add the bay leaves, paprika and peppercorns to the water to help flavor the parcels when cooking. (If you want you can replace half the water with a chicken stock also)
- Cook on High Pressure for 12 minutes and 10 min natural pressure release.
- Take out your cooked new potatoes and gently mix in some butter and the chopped flat parsley.
Can use other types of mince also.
- Calories: 255