7 Candle Nuts (can use macadamia nuts- similar taste)
5 cloves (or 1 teaspoon ground cloves)
1 star anise
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg powder
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 big chili deseeded
1 thumb ginger
1 thumb galangal (can use ginger for this if you do not have it)
2 kafir lime leaf (if you do not have this omit it)
2 bay leaf
4 shallots (can use grated onion if no chalets)
5 cloves garlic
2 cups coconut cream
2 pounds beef (chuck casserole or brisket)
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 thumb turmeric (1 teaspoon powdered)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon brown sugar (More or less to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt. (More or less to taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper. (More or less to taste)
- Roughly cut galangal, ginger, turmeric, garlic (no need chop just put in the blender), lemongrass (dice to about 1/4 inch), chili, shallots, and then add to the blender and blend for about 5 minutes until quite a fine paste. You will need to add some olive oil to get it to blend as a paste and stop the bleed frequently to scrape down the sides and re-blend.
- Dice the beef into cubes approximately 1 inch
- Turn the instant pot to sauté and cook the paste for about 2-3 minutes - you will not need oil because you probably put 2-3 tablespoons in making the paste.
- Note we are not browning the meat - in Asia and especially for rich spicy dishes it not common to brown the meat.
- Add the beef, now give it a really good stir to get the paste all around the beef
- Add the coconut cream and gain stir well
- Then add the rest of the ingredients - Add in the star anise, crush the kaffir lime leaves and add the cloves whole.
- Plus salt pepper and sugar for seasoning- hold some back so you can taste the cooked rendang gravy and season to taste after it is cooked
- Cook for 30 mins High pressure and use natural pressure release for 10 mins.
- Add in the finely blended desiccated coconut - this helps with the flavor and texture of the dish.
- Now taste the Rendang Gravy and see if it needs more seasoning. Use salt and pepper and sugar if it is a little tart.
Note: we got a burn warning on our instant pot - so watch for that as the pot comes up to pressure. We turned off the pot and with a wooden spoon scrapped and stuck paste off the bottom of the pot and mixed well and tried to make sure that the liquid was on the bottom.
We restarted the instant pot and all was fine.
Tip - Rendang actually improves with age - so leaving it for 2 days in the fridge you will notice an intensification of flavors
- Calories: 543
Keywords: beef rendang