Pressure Cooker Chorizo & Sun-Dried Tomato Tortilla
Instant Pot Chorizo Tortilla Pie is a delicious Tex-Mex inspired dish made up of layers of vegetables, chorizo, and cheese.
Once again the pressure cooker infuses the flavors throughout the tortilla pie.
We also have a great Chicken meatball recipe for the instant pot.
If you are a Vegetarian, or perhaps sometimes you do not just feel like meat - just leave out the chorizo and this is a great recipe and very easy to make. It is so simple, and the flavor is really delicious
Basically, a tortilla pie is a layered dish where layers are made up of vegetables - you can add tortillas also as dividers between the layers of filling. If you do corn tortillas are best for their masa flavor. and a veggie filling.
This dish is great kept in the fridge and heated up the next day also.
Key Ingredients for Chorizo & Sun-Dried Tomato Tortilla
Balsamic vinegar, occasionally shortened to being called balsamic, is a very dark, concentrated, and intensely flavored vinegar originally made in Italy. It is made wholly or partially from grape must. Grape must is freshly crushed grape juice with all the skins, seeds, and stems. It adds a nice sharp taste to a dish.
Chorizo is a spicy type of pork sausage. Chorizo is fermented and cured- and often smoked. The key is if it is made properly you can eat without cooking. It is normally used to add flavor to dishes and that's what we use it for here in this instant pot recipe.
Zucchini can be quite wet - so you will see in the following photo we squeeze out the water of the grated zucchini by hand. There is quite a lot of water or juice that comes out. Doing this saves the water from steaming out when the dish is cooked and results in a better flavor.
Prepare Vegetables and the Chorizo
While the potato is cooking slice and dice the vegetables - ready for cooking next.
Zucchini can be quite wet - so you will see in the following photo we squeeze out the water of the grated zucchini by hand. There is quite a lot of water of juice that comes out. Doing this saves the water steaming out when the dish is cooked and results in a better flavor and texture for the Tortilla.
Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4in (5mm) slices.
Place in the instant pot with enough water and season with salt. Set the Instant Pot to sauté and bring to a boil and three-quarter cook or until the potato is just soft enough to pierce with a fork- turn off the instant pot.
Drain the water and place the potatoes on a tray to cool (pat off any excess water with a paper towel).
Baking Papper Line the Tortilla Pan
Add baking to the pan that you are going to cook the Tortilla in. Makes it heaps easier to take out.
Cook The Vegetables
Now dry the pressure cooker bowl after taking out the potato - then turn on to saute and add half the olive oil.
Cook the onion, garlic, and chorizo stirring for about 5 minutes until the onion goes clear and a bit soft.
Stir in the tomatoes and zucchini (we squeezed the water out by hand fist on the zucchini - season to taste with salt and pepper
Start To Assemble Your Tortilla Pie
I really like the depth of flavor that chili can add but I do not like it too hot.
By scrapping the seeds and a little bit of the inside skin you can remove most of the heat - and keep the nice flavor-enhancing properties of the chili.
Layer By Layer
Now it is time to place all of the ingredients into the instant pot or another bowl if you prefer. Put everything (except the chicken) into the bowl and give them a good mix so that everything is dissolved and evenly spread. Then put in the chicken and get your hands into the mix so the lovely marinade gets all around and into the chicken.
Then leave it for at least 30 mins - If you have time to do it the night before - leave it in the fridge overnight (covered) and you will get the maximum benefit of the marinade flavor in the chicken.
Leave the Chicken skin side down when you have it standing.
Pour In The Egg
Pour in your egg mixture and tap and lightly bang the tin to ensure that the egg mixture gets fully inside.
Wrap the tin completely in tin foil. Also, fold two lengths of foil to make a sling so you can easily lower it into the instant pot.
Cooked Tortilla Pie
This looks a little bland so dress it how you prefer - for example with salad leaves on the top - or as we did with cheese and red peppers.
Sun-Dried Tomato Chorizo Tortilla
Pressure Cooker Chorizo & Sun-Dried Tomato Tortilla
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lare onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 oz chorizo sliced
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup semi or sun-dried tomatoes
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup shave parmesan cheese
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4in (5mm) slices
- Place in the instant pot with enough water and season with salt and set to sauté and bring to the boils and cook 3/4 or until just soft enough to pierce with a fork - turn off the instant pot
- Drain the water and place the potatoes on a tray to cool (pat off any excess water with a paper towel
- Now dry the pressure cooker bowl and add half the olive oil. Then turn onto sauté again and cook the onion, garlic, and chorizo stirring for about 5 minutes until the onion goes clear and a bit soft.
- Lightly grease the cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper
- Stir in the tomatoes and zucchini (we squeezed the water out by hand fist on the zucchini - season to taste with salt and pepper - Cook about 3-5 minutes
- Now Spread the base with potato and little cheese. Then add the Chorizo lay and finally the vegetable layer and then topping with cheese.
- Pour in your egg mixture and tap and lightly bang the tin to ensure that the egg mixture gets fully inside.
- Wrap the tin completely in tin foil. Also, fold two lengths of foil to make a sling ( see our carrot cake instructions for how to do this in a pressure cooker)
- Place the trivet in the bowl and put approximately 2 cups of water to also come to the trivet but not quite.
- Lower the wrapped tin into the pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes. Release the pressure using quick release and take care fo the steam.
- Dress the Tortilla Pie as you like - we dress it with red pepper and a little cheese.