Does Honeycomb Taste Good?
Honey bees build hexagonal wax cells to store honey, larvae, and pollen, and this is what we know as a honeycomb. Just like honey, honeycomb is edible and full of nutrients. But should you eat it? What does honeycomb taste like?
Surprisingly, honey comb tastes better than most types of medium-grade honey and raw honey. This is because it’s the purest form of honey, and it can be served in multiple ways. Keep on reading to learn more about eating and serving honeycomb.
What Does Honeycomb Taste Like?
Honeycomb is a natural product produced by honey bees. It’s different from honey because it’s not filtered or processed, and you can eat it alone or pair it with other types of food.
Honeycomb tastes crunchy with honey for extra sweetness. The honey near the corners might be crystallized and sweeter.
The taste of the raw honeycomb differs based on the origin of the honey. (e.g buckwheat honey) The environment and the flowers that the bees feed on will alter the taste of honeycomb.
Honeycomb is rich in antioxidants, antimicrobial, and antibacterial enzymes. People eat it because it’s tasty and can help with several health issues.
- Is a honeycomb bitter?
- Honeycomb is slightly bitter especially dark honeycomb.
- Is it OK to swallow honeycomb wax – rather than swallowing – it is better to chew it with honey or honey crystals, it will taste much better.
How to Eat Honeycomb
A Honeycomb is mainly made of honey, beeswax, and pollen. It’s considered a delicacy in many cultures, and most people like to eat it raw.
It comes in jars with pure honey or wrapped in individual packages. You can extract honeycomb using a fork or a spoon or fish it out using your hands.
Once you chew all the honey, you can spit out the extra wax. Some people keep on chewing the wax as bubblegum. It’s perfectly safe to eat all the honeycomb, including the wax cells.
What Do You Eat Honeycomb With?
Honeycomb is delicious when eaten with chocolate milk! If you want to go savory, try honeycomb with cheese. You can also use the honeycomb as an ingredient in baking recipes. Honeycomb is great for breakfast. Try it over cereal or toast.
Can I Drink Honeycomb?
Yes, you can drink Honeycomb. It can be used to provide taste and texture to drinks. In fact the aftertaste it leaves is enjoyed by people. It may take a few tries to get used to it but it is a great addition to your morning cocoa.
Can I Add Honeycomb to Coffee?
Yes, adding Honeycomb to coffee in the mornings makes your coffee have a wholesome slightly sweet taste. Only add a teaspoon to start with and taste it first. Some people like a little more up to a tablespoon. Drinking honeycomb is coffee is safe to have.
Can I add Honeycomb to tea?
You can add honeycomb to tea – add only half a teaspoon to begin as it can overpower the taste of tea easily.
Can I add Honeycomb to Christmas Egg Nog?
Adding honeycomb to egg nog on a cold Christmas night makes it a nice variation that people will enjoy and talk about.
What Are the Best Honeycomb Pairings?
Honeycomb can be paired with different types of food.
- Spread a spoonful of honeycomb over your toast, pancakes, or waffles.
- Add some honeycomb to your breakfast bowl of oatmeal and fruits.
- Add honeycomb to your charcuterie board. It pairs well with strong cheese types like blue cheese.
- Serve honeycomb with a baked brie after adding some thyme and rosemary.
- Add chunks of honeycomb to your Greek yogurt.
- Add some goat cheese and honeycomb slices to your salad to make the flavors pop.
- Serve your chili with some sour cream and a piece of honeycomb.
Can You Store Honeycomb?
Yes, honeycomb can be frozen or kept in the fridge. However, if you’re not planning to use your freshly bought honeycomb within days, it’s best to keep it in the freezer, where it can last for a year. Here are the best tips to store and use frozen honeycomb.
- Keep honeycomb in its package and store it in the freezer.
- If you’ve already opened the package, let the honeycomb cool first before freezing it, then cut it into pieces. Keep each part in a bag and seal it.
- Make sure that the bags are sealed and remove the air so it doesn’t get spoiled.
- When it comes to thawing honeycomb, just leave it on the kitchen counter for a couple of hours, and it will be ready for use.
Can You Freeze Honeycomb?
Yes, you can freeze honeycomb. If you want to freeze honeycomb, you need to put it into a freezer, it can last a long time. Then, you can remove the frozen honeycomb from the freezer and place it back in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Is Honeycomb Good For You?
In moderation, honeycomb is good for you. Honeycomb is made from beeswax, which is derived from the hexagonal shapes you see from beehives. Bees are considered to be nature’s best pollinators, and they also produce honey, wax, and propolis, all of which are used for various purposes and known for health benefits.
Honeycomb is edible and actually tastes delicious. It’s rich in nutrients and can be eaten raw or served with different types of food.