How To Make Chicken Rendang in an Instant Pot or Pressure cooker
8 Candle Nuts (can use macadamia nuts- similar taste)
6 cloves (or 1 teaspoon ground cloves)
2 star anise
1 tablespoon cumin
5 cardamon pods
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
6 big chilli
1 thumb ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 thumb galangal (can use ginger for this if you do not have it)
4 kaffir lime leaf (if you do not have this omit it)
3 bay leaf
3 shallots (can use grated onion if no chalets)
6 cloves garlic
2 cups coconut cream
1 whole chicken or 2 lbs of chicken pieces of your choice
1 thumb turmeric (1 teaspoon powdered)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 turmeric leaf (if you have it)
1 tablespoon brown sugar (More or less to taste)
1 teaspoon salt. (More or less to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper. (More or less to taste)
1 cup chicken stock
- Prepare all your ingredients first as there are quite a few for this rendang dish and it helps to be organized.
- Prepare the Chicken. We cut up a whole chicken (see the video) because it adds more flavor - however you can easily use any cut of chicken to make this dish.
- Next - prepare your ingredients for the paste. Roughly cut galangal, ginger, turmeric, garlic (no need to chop just put in the blender), chili, shallots, and candlenuts ( use macadamia nuts if no candlenuts). Then add to the blender and blend for about 5 minutes until quite a fine paste.
- You will need to add some olive oil to get it to blend as a paste and stop the blender two or three times frequently to scrape down the sides and re-blend.
- Turn the instant pot to sauté (add a little oil) and cook the paste for about 2-3 minutes.
- You can tell when it is ready as you will smell the fragrant aroma from the paste as the ingredients are cooked and they release their flavor.
- Then add the paprika, cumin, coriander, nutmeg and cinnamon and stir well.
- After about 1 minute then add in the coconut cream and mix well.
- Now add the lemongrass, bay leaves, kaffir lime and turmeric leaf if you have it. Followed with the star anise and cloves. We also add one cup of chicken stock. Stir well and add the chicken and again stir well.
- Next, pinch the cardamom pods to break the shell and add-in. Season with salt, pepper and some brown sugar.
- You are now ready to cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes and 10 minutes natural release.
- After cooking - taste the Rendang Gravy and see if it needs more seasoning. Use salt and pepper and sugar if it is a little tart.
Tip - rending actually improves with age - so leaving it for 2 days in the fridge you will notice an intensification of flavors
- Calories: 465
Keywords: Chicken Rendang