VERY EASY WINTER SOUP
Chorizo Ham Kale Minestrone Winter Soup – Instant Pot
The meaning of minestrone is a thick vegetable soup.
It comes from Italy and dates to around the 2nd century BC when Rome conquered Italy.
This soup is great on chilly winter nights when the call for steaming bowls of soup is loud.
This is a classic minestrone with hearty vegetables in a tomato-herb broth, finished with shavings of Parmesan cheese for a cozy winter dinner.
What region of Italy is minestrone from?
It varies in Italy by season and by region: In the north, say Lombardy, minestrone might include pasta and winter squash. If you head further south, say to Tuscany, it is common to find cannellini beans and kale.
How do you add flavor to minestrone soup?
A common way to add flavor is with Chicken stock or broth. Adding extra herbs like Rosemary will also add more flavor.
Chorizo Ham Kale Minestrone Winter Soup
- 1 chorizo sausage chopped into ¼ inch 2cm pieces approx 125g or 4 oz
- 7 oz Ham chopped into ¼ inch 2cm pieces – 200g
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large onion – approx 200g or 6 oz chopped finely
- 1 courgette medium ¼ inch, 2cm
- 1 carrot medium approx 125g or 4 oz cut into medium pieces ( ¼ inch, 2cm)
- 2 celery stalks approx 300g 10 oz cut into ( ¼ inch, 2cm)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 can tomatoes 400g 12 oz
- 1 can chickpeas 400g 12 oz
- 4 cups chicken stock 1l
- 2 oz soup pasta 60g – we used Orzo Pasta
- 1 tablespoon sugar according to your taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ bunch kale or cavolo nero 100g or 3.5 oz stripped and chopped coarsely
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- Prepare your vegetables and meats by cutting to the dimensions stated in the ingredients.
- Put The Instant Pot to saute high when it says hot in the display add in the oil
- Then add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook for 3-5 minutes
- Next add the garlic, fennel and chilli – stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Add in the Rosemary, Tomato, Chicken Stock and cook for 10 minutes on high pressure and then do a quick release of pressure taking care to avoid the steam
- Take out the rosemary
- Now add in all the other ingredients except the kale and pressure cooker for 2 minutes and again with a quick release of pressure.
- Set The instant pot to saute again and add the kale – simmer for 2-3 minutes to cook the kale
- Then taste the soup and season with salt, pepper, sugar and even more chilli according to your taste.