How much pizza do you need per person for a party or big family gathering in 2023
It’s not that hard, it’s just a matter of math, well that is kind of correct but the are some fundamentals to address like – the size of the pizza, is it being served as finger food or maybe it is the main dish.
We will cover all these and more topics and then present you with a handy table or chart that gives you the exact amount of pizza to buy and serve for between 10 and 100 people.
If you are running pizza party then you will need soda and ice cream – how much of those do you need for 10-100 guests.
Also, see our catering for crowds resource page.
Pizza is one of America’s favorite food as stated by Food Industry News, but it is actually one of the world’s most popular fast and easy foods.
With so many different types of pizzas available today, there is no doubt that anyone can find a type of pizza they love.
But how much pizza should you order for a large group?
What do I need to know before ordering a say a 14 inch pizza (or 9,10 12 or 16 inch) for a big family get-together?
Do not cook or reheat the pizza in the cardboard box – here is why.
Let’s start off with the basic questions to answer
- what is the size of your group?
- pizza for adult vs children vs teenager
- family night vs extended family party
- how many slices of pizza per person
- How long to bake pizza at 450 F
So before we do our pizza per person calculations we will define the pizza calculator parameters that our table is built on.
How Many Pizzas Should I Order?
You should order enough pizzas plus 20 percent additional pizzas whatever the size you are buying if you want to be sure you never run out of food.
Before you Order Pizzas Define your Guest Numbers and Food Demographics
- How many people are coming
- is there likely to be extra unexpected guests
- What is the make up of the group
- all men
- all teenagers – who eat heaps of pizza
- family mix
How Much Pizza To Order for Event Type
At different events, there will be different amounts of pizza consumed for example
- Children’s Birthday Parties – Medium or 10-12 inch pizzas are best for children’s parties.
- Pizza buffet table
- Family Reunion
- Tailgate Party
all will have different pizza requirements and it is best not to underestimate pizza appetites. It is so easy for each guest to take one extra slice of pizza than you anticipated.
How to make your pizza feed more people?
When you order your pizza ask for it to be cut into ten slices rather than the normal cut of 8.
What is the Average Number of pizza slices a person will eat?
below is the serving size for each of the categories of pizza based on their size.
Adults will eat on average
- serving size of 2 slices of extra-large pizza pie which are defined as 18 inches or greater
- serving size 3 slices of large-sized pizza which is defined as 14-16 inches in diameter
- serving size 3 to 4 slices of medium sized pizza which is 12 to 14 inches round
- serving size 4 to 5 slices of a small pizza which is 8 to 10 inches
- serving size 6 slices or all of an extra small 6 inch or less pizza – e.g a personal pizza
Children will eat on average
- Do not buy extra-large pizza (18 in) for kids the slices are just too large and you end up cutting them down to children’s sizes.
- 1-2 slices of large-sized pizza which is defined as 14-16 inches in diameter. Again these slices will often be cut in half when served to kids.
- 2 slices of medium sized pizza which is 12 to 14 inches round
- 3 slices of a small pizza which is 8 to 10 inches
- 4 slices or half of extra small 6 inch or less pizza – e.g a personal pizza
Specialty Pizza – If you get deep-dish style – like Chicago style pizza pies then the bread content will fill people up quicker than a thin and crispy pizza base. The most filling is the cheesy stuffed crust. If you get these extra filling pizzas you will not need extra slices per person. Personally, I do think that is worth the additional charges when you are having a pizza party.
How Much Pizza Do You Need Per Person – A Handy Table
This chart is built on averages for both children and adults and how much pizza they eat of each size. see our definitions of pizza serving size above.
How Many Pizzas Do I Need Per Person For 10 People
For Family Gathering buy 3 Large Pizza
How Any Pizzas Do I Buy For 10 Adults
- 10 Small size pizza
- 5 Medium sized pizzas
- 4 Large size pizza
- 3 Xtra large pizzas (18 inches plus)
How Any Pizzas Do I Buy For 10 Children
- 5 Small size pizza
- 3 Medium sized pizzas
- 2 Large size pizza and 1 small pizza
How Many Pizzas Do I Need Per Person For 20 People
For Family Gathering buy 6 Large Pizza
How Any Pizzas Do I Buy For 20 Adults
- 20 Small size pizza
- 10 Medium sized pizzas
- 8 Large size pizza
- 6 Xtra large pizzas (18 inches plus)
How Any Pizzas Do I Buy For 20 Children
- 10 Small size pizza
- 6 Medium sized pizzas
- 5 Large size pizza
How Many Pizzas Do I Need Per Person For 50 People
For Family Gathering buy 16 Large Pizza
How Any Pizzas Do I Buy For 50 Adults
- 50 Small size pizza
- 25 Medium sized pizzas
- 20 Large size pizza
- 15 Xtra large pizzas (18 inches plus)
How Any Pizzas Do I Buy For 50 Children
- 25 Small size pizza
- 15 Medium sized pizzas
- 10 Large size pizza
How Many Pizzas Do I Need Per Person For 100 People
For Family Gathering buy 35 Large Pizza
How Any Pizzas Do I Buy For 100 Adults
- 100 Small size pizza
- 50 Medium sized pizzas
- 40 Large size pizza
- 30 Xtra large pizzas (18 inches plus)
How Any Pizzas Do I Buy For 100 Children
- 50 Small size pizza
- 30 Medium sized pizzas
- 20 Large size pizza
Is It Better to Get 2 Medium Pizzas or 1 Large Pizza?
It is better to get 1 large pizza because the price per slice is almost always less the bigger the pizza.
Except for kids’ parties, it is best to buy the largest size possible as overall the bigger pizzas are more economical.
How many medium pizzas do I need for 20 people?
You will need 10 medium pizzas (12-14 inch size) to feed 20 people.
What Salads are the best to serve as a side with a Pizza
- Antipasto salads
- Caesar salad
- Fresh garden-green salad
- Spinach salad
- Potato Salad
How Many People Does a Medium 12″ Pizza Feed?
A 12″ medium pizza will feed 2 adults or up to 4 children
How Many People Does a Small 10″ Pizza Feed?
A 10″ small pizza will feed 1 to 1.5 adults or up to 2 children
How Many People Does a Large 14″ Pizza Feed?
A 14″ medium pizza will feed 2 adults or up to 4 children