INSTANT POT RISOTTO WITH ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND MUSHROOMS
Instant Pot Risotto with Italian Sausage and Mushrooms and some of our extra herbs and spices is a one-pot recipe that is made much quicker than it traditionally would take, however, the results are just as creamy and tender and is a foolproof method just follow our recipe.
Another favorite is our Easy Italian Zuppa Toscana recipe.
Risotto is a rice dish that originated from Northern Italy and is a savory lunch or dinner recipe. Traditionally you slowly add stock to the arborio rice on a stovetop so that the rice soaks up the flavor a little bit at a time while the process draws out a nice creamy texture from the starches in the rice - but this takes a while - in the Instant Pot you can make this dish with just 10 minutes high pressure cooking - and you do not have to even watch or stir it.
What Is Risotto?
Risotto is usually thought of as a northern Italian rice dish cooked with broth until it reaches a smooth and creamy consistency. The broth can be any broth but is usually from meat, fish, or vegetables. Most risotto styles contain butter, onion, white wine, and parmesan cheese. It is one of the most common ways of cooking rice in Italy.
The traditional style of cooking risotto requires lots of attention and constant gentle stirring. When you make it in an Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker, it really is so simple.
It really does help to get organized by getting all your ingredients measured and organized first and you can see the photo above how we have done this,
Why - because when you have never made a recipe before - having all your ingredients ready means that you can firstly check them off against the recipe before you start so that nothing is missing.
Secondly - as you are moving through the cooking steps it lets you focus on the dish preparation rather than jumping around looking for or preparing a missed item.
Here we have taken the meat out of the Italian sausages and rolled into meatballs. You could also use pre-made meatballs.
Saute the Meat Balls
We found that putting the meatballs around the edge of the instant pot bowl helped because there is a slight gathering of oil around the edge and it just helped in the meatballs staying together better as they are browned off.
Saute the Garlic and Shallots
Gently sweat the shallots and garlic with the meatballs and get all the nice flavors mixing.
Not too long - just enough for the onion and garlic to change color.
Adding the rice with all the flavors of the cooking so far just lets them mix in with the rice ready for pressure cooking.
Stir gently and do not let the rice burn.
Add in the parsley, and half of the cheese and just mix gently - if too hot turn off the instant pot as the residue warmth will let you complete the gentle mixing.
Stir Gently some more
Add in all the ingredients including the peas and give it a gentle stir. (Hold off adding the butter).
Now put on the lid and cook as per the method below - 10 minutes high pressure and quick release.
Butter Add-in for a nice creamy flavor.
After the instant pot has finished and just before you are ready to plate up - add in the butter.
This helps intensify the flavor, and make the taste extra smooth.
See the yellow bit of butter we are gently mixing into the risotto that has finished cooking.
I really like the depth of flavor and creamy smooth texture you get from making a risotto in the instant pot.
Plate it up and garnish it with fresh greens of your choice to make it look colorful.
Italian Sausage Risotto Instant Pot
- 0.3 oz Dried mushrooms 10g or (fresh mushrooms 1 oz or 30g)
- 2 Shallots
- 12 oz Arborio rice 342g
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 24 oz Chicken stock 700 g
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese keep on tablespoon for garnish
- 2.1 oz Peas 60g
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ cup Wine
- ½ tablespoon Parsley
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Peel the skin of the Italian sausage off and roll into round meatball size (you could also use premade meatballs from the supermarket)
- Turn the instant pot onto sautee high and place in the olive oil and heat up
- Place the meatballs around the edge so they are in the oil.
- Cook until slightly brown
- Add in the garlic and sweat it gently
- Stir in the Arborio rice and mix it well so that the garlic and meat juices are mixed
- Add in the Parsley and gently stir again
- Then add the chicken stock and wine and mix gently
- Lastly, add the peas and 1 tablespoon parmesan and the salt pepper and a pinch of cayenne
- Put on the lid and cook on high pressure for 10 mins and then release the pressure using the quick-release button on the instant pot- be careful as the steam is very hot.
- Then gently mix in the butter and stir gently
- Now you are ready to plate up