EASY POTATO LEEK SOUP RECIPE
Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
Electric Pressure Cooker Potato Leek Soup is a very easy and classic thick broth recipe. An easy recipe that produces a delicate and fragrant soup.
Enjoy this deliciously creamy pressure cooker Potato Leek Soup with some bacon bits or crusty bread for lunch, dinner, or any meal.
Leave out the bacon to make vegetarian and use coconut milk instant of cream to make vegan.
This is one of the recipes from one of our restaurants and came from our Swiss chef.
It is a simple and tasty soup that is quick to make. You can have it hot in the Winter, however, in the Summer I have often had it chilled. If Potato Leek soup is cold then it is often called vichyssoise.
Tack the tops and bottoms off the leek and remove the very outer skin and then wash them to remove any small particles before cutting.
Slice the leek in half - and then cut them into semi-circle shapes.
Cut the potato reasonably small and the same size so that they all cook evenly.
Saute the vegetables first before adding the stock and and cooking in the instant pot for 10 minutes.
After cooking blend the soup until smooth
Add cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pot Potato Leek Soup
- 1 leek2 garlic cloves1 onion1/2 cup cream heavy cream if you like4 medium potatoes - you can use yellow potatoes - Yukon gold or whatever you like3 cups water or chicken or vegetable stocksalt and pepper to tasteraw sugar to taste1 tablespoon oilGarnishBacon Bits (see our recipe how to make crispy bacon like the restaurants do)
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot and set it to extra hot. When the display reads 'Hot', add the oil.
- Add the onions first and stir till slightly soft.
- Add the leeks and garlic and stir. Cook them until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and stir
- Season with salt and pepper
- Put the pressure cooker lid on and set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
- Press the Manual (or Pressure Cook) button, and the + or - button to choose 10 minutes.
- When the cooking has ended and the instant pot has beeped, let the pot naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes. Then carefully manually release the remaining steam.
- When the pin in the pot lid drops, open it and stir the soup.
- Next use an immersion blender to puree it. [ If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a normal blender, you may have to resort to pureeing the soup in small batches very carefully.
- Stir in the cream.
- Taste and adjust salt, if needed.
- Garnish with chopped fresh chives and sour cream. Green onions can also be used. I have even heard people using coconut milk instead of cream to make it a vegan leek potato soup.
- Serve hot or chilled. It is a great pot leek soup.
HOW TO FREEZE AND REHEAT POTATO LEEK SOUP
Can I Freeze Potato Leek Soup - YES - This soup freezes well. I do recommend puréeing the soup until it’s completely smooth if are going to freeze it, as any chunks of potatoes in the soup will have a grainy texture when defrosted.
If the soup separates when defrosted, just purée the soup again until smooth.
How to Serve frozen leek Potato Soup
Thaw completely in the refrigerator, then gently reheat on the stovetop or in a microwave. For a treat add Super Seedy Snack Crackers --crunchy crackers, packed full of healthy seeds. Saltines are great also.
How to cut leeks
The best way to prepare leeks for. soup is to cut them and then wash them with water. Doing this you be sure to wash out any little dirt that may be hiding between the layers of the leeks.
Then begin by trimming off and discarding both the root end and the dark green end. You will want to only use the white and light green parts which are the best bits of the leek.
Then, cut the leek in half lengthwise.
Finally, cut the leek into thin half moons. This makes them cook great in a pressure cooker as well as a pot.
Can you add cheddar cheese to this Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup?
Yes, you can. If you don't live a dairy-free lifestyle, you can add in cheese, sour cream or even heavy cream as well.
Is Instant Pot Leek Soup Vegan?
Yes if you choose your ingredients like coconut or soy cream.
What's a quick, easy pot roast recipe
This is a very easy instant pot recipe.
Other Good Leek Soup Varients