INSTANT POT FALL-OFF-THE-BONE JUICY OXTAIL
Best Electric Pressure Cooker Oxtail Easy Recipe 2022
Amazing buttery-rich beefy flavors come from a well-made beef bone-in stew recipe like this.
Couple that with pull-apart tender and you get an extremely rewarding meal – good for lunch or dinner and warms the cockles of your heart.
Normally oxtail is slow-cooked and braised over low heat for hours. But the cooking time with instant pot recipes makes it easy to have the meats fall off the bone. You get a dish of beefy satisfaction. So this is where the Instant Pot really excels!
What are the top reasons for making oxtail with an electric pressure cooker?
- fall-off-the-bone tender
- rich, juicy, & moist beef with amazing beef flavor
- Saves heaps of time
- Easy recipe and hands-off cooking – no need to watch the pot and stir
- saves electricity or gas.
Also, Indonesian Soto Betawi is a recipe you will love – if you like Oxtail.
Instant Pot Oxtail Step-by-Step Cooking Guide
See our full video on how to make this beef oxtail stew dish.
Slice and dice your vegetables.
Add in olive oil, then the oxtails, brown each side for 5 minutes. ( You may need to do this in 2 batches)
Take out the oxtail
Add in sliced onions, celery, carrots, garlic, and leeks and stir to mix.
Saute for 3 minutes.
Now add back in the oxtails and then put on the lid and cook on high pressure for 45 min and 10 min natural pressure release.
Firs strain the gravy mix through a sieve to remove all the bits – so you have a silky smooth sauce.
Plate Up – and Serve Oxtail – so tender and fragile – just melts in the. mouth.
Instant Pot Oxtail
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 lb oxtail
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 cup leeks
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Parsley sprigs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder optional
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch thickening
- Heat up Instant Pot using “Sauté More” function which is the high temp and standby until it says “HOT” (takes roughly 4-5 minutes).
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil in Instant Pot and Add in the oxtails, then brown each side for 5 minutes. ( You may need to do this in 2 batches)
- Take out the oxtail
- Add in sliced onions, celery, carrots, garlic and leeks and stir to mix.
- Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste and mix in.
- Add in the red wine and it will also help deglaze the bottom of the instant pot. Stir well.
- Then add your bay leave, thyme rosemary, and parsley.
- Pour the stock in Instant Pot season with salt, pepper, and a little sugar ( say 1 tsp)
- Now add back in the oxtails and then put on the lid and cook on high pressure for 45 min and 10 min natural pressure release.
- Check the oxtail is fall off the bone ready and gently take them out (if not ready cook on high pressure again for another1 0 mins) and put them in a bowl.
- Turn the instant pot again onto saute and start to reduce the liquid, which is going to make your gravy or sauce just taste so much better.
- You can further thicken your sauce by mixing 1 table soon cornstarch and water together first so there are no lumps. Then stir into the gravy and boil for 2 minutes to cook out the cornstarch – so you do not taste it.
- When you are happy with the consistency – strain it through a sieve – so you only have a beautiful rich-looking and tasting oxtail gravy left. It should look nice and shiny.
- Now you are ready to start plating up –
- Enjoy your Fall-off-the-bone Juicy Instant Pot Oxtail
What kind of meat is oxtail?
Oxtail is the cheffy or high-class culinary name for the tail of cattle. Back in history, the oxtail was specifically the tail of an ox. Today, however, is the tail of any cattle.
What to serve oxtail with?
Like any stew of meats, oxtail can be prepared with vegetables like potatoes and carrots and served over mashed potatoes or creamy polenta.
However, different countries and regions of the world have their own traditions to serve together with oxtail.
For example, in Brazil and Jamaica, a common way to serve oxtail is on top of white rice with fresh green vegetables on the side
Can I freeze this oxtail recipe?
This recipe freezes very well and will keep for 3 months frozen easily.
What Can I Use Instead of Oxtails?
You can easily swap them for beef shanks, short ribs on the bone, or any other meats with soup bones.
Do I Have to Brown the Oxtail First?
Browning first is the best way to add intense flavor to the meat.
What browning does is induces the Maillard reaction. This is a chemical reaction between amino acids and sugars that leads to a concentration of flavor. You can still make great oxtail without the browning, but with browning, the favor is much deeper.
Why is my oxtail so tough?
Oxtail is so tough mainly because you have not cooked it long enough – A common cooking time for oxtails would be 2-4 hours. Oxtails are a naturally tough cut of meat as they have a large amount of collagen. This is a connective tissue made of protein. If after 5 hours your oxtails have not become tender try turning the pot or slow cooker’s heat up a little. Alternatively use a pressure cooker.
How long does it take for oxtails to get tender?
Pot – 4-5 hours
Slow Cooker 3-5 hours
Pressure Cooker 30 minutes
Why are oxtails so expensive?
Oxtails are so expensive because they are an exotic cut of meat. On a cow there is only 5-6 pounds of oxtail vs 700 plus pounds of other meat.
Is oxtail healthy to eat?
Oxtail is a medium-healthy meat. Oxtails are a good fat/protein source. They do have a good quantity of monounsaturated fat and saturated fat. Both of which are important in an overall balanced diet.
How do you clean Oxtails before cooking?
Clean oxtails in a bowl of water and you can add some brown vinegar, and a few slices of citrus like lime or lemon. let is sit for 5-6 minutes and mix it around. The take out. This is the best way to wash oxtail at home in your kitchen.
How much oxtail should I buy per person?
Plan on 1 pound oxtail per man-sized portion.
How long can Oxtails stay in the fridge after cooking?
Oxtail can stay in the fridge for 3-4 days before you should eat it or freeze it. Refrigeration slows but does not stop bacterial growth.
Is oxtail a meat
Oxtail is a bone-in meat.
Korean oxtail instant pot
WHAT DOES KKORI GOMTANG MEAN?
The Literal meaning is, kkori = tail, gomtang. Korean style is a bone broth simmered for a prolonged time. Koreans love many types of soups and Kkori Gomtang is definitely one of the popular ones. In Korea oxtail is considered a very nourishing soup. Koreans can also eat it at any time of the day.
Chinese braised oxtail instant pot
There are many styles of Chinese oxtail – Often they are made with soy sauce and spices like star anise. Again the broth tends to be clear rather than a gravy-type of soup.
Instant pot oxtail pho
Vietnamese tend to also have a clear broth with many more vegetables. Ingredients like bones, marrow bones, beef feet, beef tendons, and oxtail all can be used to make this dish.
Instant pot oxtail soup Hawaii
There are many variations of oxtail made in Hawaii – and they often use ginger that is grated and even. soy sauce, Sometimes for extra texture peanuts are often added. Of course, you must season with Hawaiian salt and garnish with Chinese parsley.