Learn how to make a delicious Spaghetti Bolognese to feed a big crowd! This recipe is easy to follow and perfect for your next gathering.
In this blog post, I will share a recipe for Spaghetti Bolognese that I always use when feeding a crowd. It is scaleable and works well for big groups; I always used this in my catering business.
Our easy-to-follow instructions will guide you through the process of preparing this classic Italian dish as well as calculating how much spaghetti to serve.
Plus you’ll be sure to impress your guests with the rich and flavorful sauce.
Tips for Catering to a Group When Making Spaghetti Bolognese.
(1) Use a large pot: When cooking for a crowd, it’s important to use a large pot to accommodate the amount of pasta you’ll be cooking. A 12-quart pot is a good size for cooking spaghetti for a crowd.
(2) Brown the meat in batches: To ensure that the meat is properly browned and doesn’t steam, it’s best to brown it in batches. This will also help to prevent the meat from sticking together. (See – small portion FROZEN Spaghetti Bolognese)
(3) Add enough sauce: When cooking for a crowd, you’ll need more sauce than you would for a smaller group. Be sure to make enough bolognese sauce to coat all of the spaghetti.
(4) Keep it warm: If you’re not serving the spaghetti bolognese right away, it’s important to keep it warm. You can do this by placing it in a warm oven (around 200°F) or using a slow cooker on the “warm” setting. Do not leave it out too long.
(5) Serve with toppings: To give your guests choices for toppings. Set out toppings like grated cheese, chopped parsley, and red pepper flakes. This will allow everyone to customize their spaghetti bolognese to their liking.
Explanation of Spaghetti Bolognese
This big-batch bolognese recipe is made with ground beef, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and tomatoes with long thin strings of pasta. I simmer them together to create a rich and flavorful sauce.
This bolognese recipe is how easy it is to make. Further, the kitchen tools and ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Why It’s Perfect for A Crowd
1. It’s easy to make in large quantities – Spaghetti bolognese is a one-pot meal that can be easily scaled up to feed a crowd.
With just a few simple ingredients like ground beef, pasta, canned tomatoes, and spices, it’s easy to cook up a big batch that will satisfy everyone.
2. It’s a crowd-pleaser – Spaghetti bolognese is a classic dish that almost everyone loves. It’s a comforting and familiar dish that is sure to be a hit with guests of all ages.
3. It’s affordable – Ground beef and canned tomatoes are both affordable ingredients that are readily available at any grocery store, making spaghetti bolognese an affordable meal option for feeding a crowd.
4. It’s easy to customize – Spaghetti bolognese is a versatile dish that can be easily customized to suit different dietary needs and preferences.
Omit the beef for a vegetarian version, or use gluten-free pasta for those with gluten sensitivities.
5. It’s easy to serve – Spaghetti bolognese can be served straight from the pot or transferred to a large serving dish, making it an easy meal to serve to a large group of people.
Plus, with minimal cleanup required, it’s a great option for serving at potlucks or family gatherings.
How Much Beef Mince Per Person For Spaghetti Bolognese?
How much beef mince per person for spaghetti bolognese is a common question when cooking for a crowd. A good rule of thumb is to use 3.5 oz (100g) of beef mince per person. This assumes that the dish is the main one. If you are serving another main course, reduce the amount you make and serve. You can also see how much beef is for spaghetti and meatballs here.
A Handy Table For How Much Mince To Buy For Spaghetti Bolognese For 4 to 100 Guests
|Beef Mince (lbs)||0.9||1.8||2.2||2.6||4.4||6.6||10.9||21.9|
If you’re unsure, it’s always better to err on the side of caution and make more rather than less. You can also bulk up the dish with vegetables or serve bread on the side to stretch out your servings.
Remember, the key to good spaghetti bolognese is in the sauce – so focus on getting that just right and enjoy a delicious meal with family and friends!
What are the best-canned tomatoes to buy for Spaghetti Bolognese for a Crowd?
The most popular canned tomatoes for making spaghetti bolognese in America is Cento Certified San Marzano Plum Tomatoes, 28 Oz (Pack Of 6) – They have a great taste that is authentic and are also value for money.
When it comes to selecting canned tomatoes for spaghetti bolognese, there are a few different types that work well. Here are three options to consider:
1. Whole peeled tomatoes – These are a classic choice for any tomato-based sauce, including spaghetti bolognese. They often have a slightly sweeter flavor than other types of canned tomatoes and can be easily crushed or pureed to achieve the desired consistency.
2. Diced tomatoes – Diced tomatoes add texture to the sauce and can be used as-is for a chunkier sauce or partially pureed for a smoother texture. They often come in a variety of flavors such as Italian-style or with added seasonings like garlic and onion.
3. Crushed tomatoes – Crushed tomatoes are another popular option for spaghetti bolognese. They have a slightly thicker consistency than diced tomatoes and can create a smooth sauce when cooked down. They often come in both regular and fire-roasted varieties, which add a unique and smoky flavor to the sauce.
Ultimately, the best canned tomatoes for your spaghetti bolognese will depend on your personal preference and the flavor profile you are trying to achieve.
Ingredients For Spaghetti Bolognese – Sourcing for a Crowd
If you plan on cooking spaghetti bolognese for a crowd, you’ll need to source your ingredients accordingly. Buying larger sizes or in bulk can save you money and ensure that you have enough for everyone.
Meat is the most expensive ingredient in this recipe, so consider shopping at a wholesale or discount store. Ground beef is traditional, but mixing it with pork or veal can give it a richer flavor.
You can also buy the ground beef when it is on special – or even make your own at home.
Spaghetti Bolognese Ingredients for 20 People
olive oil (1fl oz). – 5 oz
yellow onion (4oz), chopped – 20 oz
ground beef — 5lb
can of diced tomatoes – 140 oz
tomato paste. 5 oz
garlic diced 10 oz
Dried Italian Herbs or 1 tsp dried thyme and oregano – fresh herbs if you have it). 10 oz
5 (optional) bay leaf
red wine 20 oz
chicken broth (or beef broth) 40oz
Shredded Parmesan cheese. 20 oz
Pinch of Salt and Black Pepper To Taste
Dry spaghetti 5 lb
How To Make Spaghetti Bolognese For 20 People
To begin, place a thick-bottomed pot or Dutch oven on moderate heat and heat the olive oil. Add the diced onion and sauté it until it turns translucent.
Stir in the diced tomatoes and tomato paste, and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Next, add the ground meat to the pot and break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook for 7-8 minutes or until browned, stirring often.
After that, add the diced garlic and herbs, and mix everything together well.
Now, pour in the chicken stock and red wine, bring it to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot with a lid and let the mixture simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Before finishing, taste the sauce and season it with salt and pepper according to your preferences.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti following the instructions for cooking spaghetti for a crowd. Once it is done, drain the pasta in a colander.
Add the drained spaghetti to the sauce and mix everything together thoroughly, ensuring that the spaghetti is well coated with the sauce.
If you have fresh basil, add it as garnish and top the dish with grated Parmesan cheese for a depth of flavor.
If it tastes too acidic, use a pinch of sugar to the edge off.
A Handy Table Of A Scaled Recipe For Between 4 to 100 People
|Beef Mince (lbs)||0.9||1.8||2.2||2.6||4.4||6.6||10.9||21.9|
|Olive Oil (oz)||1||2||2.5||3||5||7.5||12.5||25|
|Diced Tomato (oz)||28||56||70||84||140||210||350||700|
|Tomato Paste (oz)||1||2||2.5||3||5||7.5||12.5||25|
|Garlic Diced (oz)||2||4||5||6||10||15||25||50|
|Mixed Italian Herbs (oz)||0.4||0.8||1||1.2||2||3||5||10|
|Red Wine (oz)||4||8||10||12||20||30||50||100|
|Chicken Broth (oz)||8||16||20||24||40||60||100||200|
|Parmesan (Shredded) (oz)||4||8||10||12||20||30||50||100|
|Bay Leaf (Number)- Optional||1||2||2.5||3||5||7.5||12.5||25|
|Salt (To Taste) (oz)||0.5||1||1.25||1.5||2.5||3.75||6.25||12.5|
|Pepper (Tp Taste) (oz)||1||2||2.5||3||5||7.5||12.5||25|
|Brown Sugar To Taste (oz)||0.6||1.2||1.5||1.8||3||4.5||7.5||15|
Tips For Buying Spaghetti Bolognese Ingredients in Bulk and Advance
How to Buy Bulk Ingredients for Spaghetti Bolognese
Spaghetti Bolognese is one of the most popular Italian dishes worldwide. It is a classic combination of pasta, meat sauce, and herbs that is easy to prepare and perfect for a family dinner.
Buying ingredients in bulk can save you time and money, especially if you have a large family or entertain often. Here are some tips on how to buy bulk ingredients for spaghetti bolognese.
(1) Know what you need. Before you start buying in bulk, make a list of the ingredients you will need to make your spaghetti bolognese.
The most important ingredients are ground beef, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic, and pasta.
Other optional ingredients include red wine, carrots, celery, and herbs such as basil and oregano. Knowing what you need will help you buy the right quantities and avoid waste.
The same goes for making carbonara for a crowd – plan first.
(2) Check your local grocery store for promotions and discounts on canned tomatoes, pasta, and meat. Look for coupons or online deals that can help you save money on your purchases. You can also check out your local farmers’ market for fresh vegetables and herbs.
(3) Shop at bulk stores. Bulk stores such as Costco or Sam’s Club can be great places to buy large quantities of ingredients at a lower price.
Look for bulk packages of canned tomatoes (also for tomato sauce), pasta, and ground beef. You can also buy large bags of onions and garlic that will last for several weeks. Make sure to compare prices and check for expiration dates before making your purchase.
(4) Store your ingredients properly. Buying in bulk means you will have a lot of ingredients to store.
Make sure to store your ingredients in a cool and dry place to prevent spoilage.
Store your canned tomatoes and tomato paste in a pantry or cabinet and your fresh vegetables in the refrigerator.
Make sure to label your containers with the date of purchase to keep track of expiration dates.
(5) Prepare your ingredients in advance. Buying in bulk can save you time in the long run. Prepare your ingredients in advance by chopping your onions and garlic and storing them in the refrigerator.
Brown your ground beef and freeze it in portions that you can use for future spaghetti bolognese dishes. You can also make a big batch of tomato sauce and freeze it in portions.
In conclusion, buying bulk ingredients for spaghetti bolognese can be a great way to save time and money. Make sure to know what you need, look for deals, shop at bulk stores, store your ingredients properly, and prepare your ingredients in advance. With these tips, you can enjoy delicious spaghetti bolognese with your family and friends without breaking the bank.
Keep in mind that some guests may have dietary restrictions or preferences such as gluten-free pasta, vegan meat alternatives or low-sodium options.
Depending on the size of your crowd, you may want to double or triple the recipe. To make things easier on yourself come dinnertime, prepping ingredients the day before will save time and stress.
Don’t be afraid to get creative – adding vegetables like carrots, celery and mushrooms can add extra flavor and nutrition to your spaghetti bolognese for a crowd!
When buying ingredients for a crowd, it’s important to think about quantity. I usually plan on using around 1 pound of ground beef per every 4-5 people. And for the noodles, I typically estimate around 2 ounces per person.
Prepping all of these ingredients may seem like a lot of work, but trust me – it’s worth it! The end result is a delicious and satisfying meal that everyone will enjoy. So next time you’re cooking for a crowd, stock up on these key ingredients and get ready to impress your guests with your homemade spaghetti bolognese.
Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe for 20 People
- 4.4 lb ground beef
- 20 oz onion
- 5 oz olive oil
- 140 oz Diced Tomato
- 5 oz Tomato Paste
- 10 oz Garlic
- 2 oz Italian Herbs
- 20 oz Red Wine
- 40 oz Chicken Broth
- 20 oz parmesan cheese
- 5 lb spaghetti
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste, and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Then, add ground meat to the pot, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook for 7-8 minutes until browned, stirring often.After that, add diced garlic and herbs, and mix everything together well.
- Now, pour in chicken stock and red wine, bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot with a lid and let the mixture simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Before finishing, taste the sauce and season it with salt and pepper according to your preferences.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti following the instructions for a crowd. Once done, drain pasta in a colander.
- Add the drained spaghetti to the sauce and mix everything together thoroughly to ensure the spaghetti is well coated with the sauce.
- If desired, garnish with fresh basil and top with grated Parmesan cheese for added flavor.If the sauce tastes too acidic, add a pinch of sugar to balance the flavor.
Can I Use Ground Turkey Instead of Ground Beef for Spaghetti Bolognese?
Yes, you can use ground turkey instead of ground beef. It will have a different taste, but it can be a healthier alternative.
How Long Can I Store Canned Tomatoes and Tomato Paste?
Canned tomatoes and tomato paste can be stored for up to two years if they are unopened. Once opened, they should be used within a week and stored in the refrigerator.
Can I Freeze Cooked Spaghetti Bolognese?
Yes, you can freeze cooked spaghetti bolognese. Make sure to let it cool down before storing it in an airtight container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. To reheat, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then heat it up in a pan on the stove.
Italian seasonings For Spaghetti Bolognese for a Crowd (oregano, basil, thyme)
Italian seasonings such as oregano, basil, and thyme have been an integral part of my culinary arsenal for an extended period. My initial rendezvous with their remarkable taste was when I ventured into preparing spaghetti bolognese for a dinner party.
A considerable amount of these seasonings was added to the sauce, and the intricate depth of flavors that emanated from the dish was astounding. Oregano imparted a slightly acrid and earthy taste, while basil added a refreshing sweet flavor.
Thyme complemented the flavors with its savory essence, which brought everything together.
Since then, I have experimented with these Italian seasonings in diverse culinary creations, ranging from marinara sauces to roasted vegetables, and they have never disappointed me.
The adaptability of these seasonings is impressive since they can be incorporated in both sweet and savory dishes.
If you aspire to take your culinary skills to unprecedented heights, then I highly recommend investing in these herbs.
The explosion of taste that they create in your mouth is sure to leave a lasting impression.
Therefore, whether you are a seasoned culinary expert or a novice, do not shy away from experimenting with Italian seasonings. Who knows? These herbs might just be the secret ingredient that your creations have been yearning for. While on the subject of secret ingredients, did you know that bay leaf could give your meals a whole new dimension of flavor?
Are you looking for a crowd-pleasing dish that’s easy to make and packed with flavor? Look no further than spaghetti bolognese!
This classic Italian dish is the perfect choice for feeding a crowd, thanks to its hearty ingredients and comforting flavors.