How Much Spaghetti Per Person For A Crowd – with a handy table from 1-50 people
How Much Spaghetti Per Person To Cook
When you are planning a family get-together and you’re going to be serving spaghetti, perhaps you have 10 or 20 people coming – Just how much pasta or spaghetti, in particular, do you need to buy and serve.
The good thing is that spaghetti is relatively cheap so when you are planning how much to cook for a large crowd then it is always better to just add a little bit more to the pot, that way everyone can have seconds.
They will want seconds if your spaghetti sauce is amazing – see our tips on how to cook spaghetti for a crowd.
Let’s start with How Much Spaghetti for 1 and we can build from there.
How Much Spaghetti for 1
Kids can actually eat quite a large amount of spaghetti, they certainly eat with their eyes first – you will see them piling it onto their plate however they seldom finish all the spaghetti that goes onto their party plate.
So when budgeting for children if you want to be frugal use 1 ounce of spaghetti but in reality, since it is quite reasonable in price I would use 2 ounces, and then you’ll have some left over for the next day and you do not have to cook a meal after the party.
Spaghetti for A Large Crowd
If you are cooking for a larger group, say 10 or 20, then you should look at the following:
1) How many servings per person?
2) What type of spaghetti sauce is best for a crowd?
When serving spaghetti to a group or family gathering that is quite large it is best to have a powerful but simple source the one that comes to most people’s minds is Bolognese and there’s nothing wrong with that but here are some other suggestions that you could consider
- tomato and garlic – simple yet tasty
- Marinara – smokey and a little hard to make
- Meaty tomato-based sauces
- Tomato and basil
- Creamy cheese and mushroom
3) How much sauce do you need?
Like any catering you do for a big crowd with something as important as sauce do not skimp on the quantity in the table below we will also outline what we think is the minimum quantity of sauce to serve when you are feeding a crowd between 10 and 50 people with spaghetti based dishes
How Much Spaghetti for 2
- Serve 4 oz of cooked spaghetti with 6 oz of sauce
How Much Spaghetti for 6
- Serve 12 oz of cooked spaghetti with 18 oz of sauce
How Much Spaghetti for 10
- Serve 1.5lbs of cooked spaghetti with 2 x 16oz Jars of store-bought sauce or your own homestyle recipe.
How Much Spaghetti for 20
- Serve 3 lbs of cooked spaghetti with 4 x 16oz Jars of supermarket sauce. If you are making a home-made spaghetti sauce with let’s say meatballs then you will only need about 3 lbs of your DIY spaghetti sauce
How Much Spaghetti for 50
- Serve 7.5 lbs of cooked spaghetti with around 10lbs of sauce and filling.
How much spaghetti do I need for 25 people
You will need 50 ounces of spaghetti which is around 3 to 4 packets or boxes of uncooked pasta and to go with that you should serve around 70 ounces of sauce.
Can You Cook Two Boxes of Pasta at Once
Yes, just make sure your pot is big enough and you have sufficient water.
How Much Spaghetti in A Box
When spaghetti is cooked it will almost double in volume so in a box there are typically 12 ounces of dried spaghetti and it will yield approximately 20 ounces of cooked spaghetti which is enough for around 10 people