Pressure Cooker Nasi Kuning
Nasi Kuning is often called Indonesian Turmeric or yellow rice – This is easy to make and a lovely aromatic side dish or a meal on its own.
The turmeric rice is usually stuffed into a cone-shape mold to make nasi tumpeng.
We had ours with tempeh.
see how much rice per person for 100 guests at a large gathering.
What is Nasi Kuning?
Nasi Kuning is a popular rice dish in Southeast Asia, especially in Indonesia the home of so many great foods. The rich golden yellow color is perfect to celebrate an occasion such as a birthday, wedding, or what special occasion you have.
Also is a great side dish for Carne Asada.
Also, Try our Jollof Rice Dish
Everybody loves the flavor that is infused into the rice from all the spices and herbs. It is very quick and easy to make especially in an instant pot or pressure cooker.
Usually it is served dishes such as Rendang, Green Jack Fruit Curry/ Sayur Nangka or other spicy dishes such as Kering Kentang Garing (Indonesian Spiced Crispy Fried Potatoes), Kering Tempeh Kacang (Spicy and Sweet Fried Tempeh and Peanuts) or even Fried Fish with Sambal, perkedel kentang. Or really what ever you like.
Key Spices for Nasi Kuning
Lemongrass is commonly used all through Asia - but it is most common in Southeast Asia. Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam employ it in their cuisines. for making dishes like Tom Yum Goong, Beef Rendang, and Laksa to name but a few.
Galangal has a similar taste and aroma to that of Ginger root. The spicy, peppery, and aromatic qualities of galangal are a signature flavor in many traditional dishes including curries, soups, and rice preparations just add how much you need.
The Pandan plant is similar to the palm, features upright bright green leaves that are long and slender. The leaves are used for their flavor in many Thai and Southeast Asian dishes. Pandan leaves have a nice sweet taste and a gentle aroma. Its flavor is reasonably strong and is usually said to be grassy with hints of rose, almond, and vanilla. It goes really well with coconut dishes.
Prepare The Rice
After washing the rice put it in a sieve and let it drain.
Mix In The Turmeric
Add the rice and the turmeric to the instant pot bowl and stir well to mix together.
Prepare the Pandan Leaf
If you have a pandan leaf crush it and tie it in a knot (see picture)
Give the lemongrass a bash also to help release the flavor
Put all the ingredients except the coconut cream in the instant pot bowl and mix well
Add The Coconut Milk Or Cream
Lastly, carefully spoon or very slowly pour the coconut cream so that it sits on the top of the other ingredients (else the instant pot may give you a burn warning)
Nasi Kuning Finished
This is what your finished yellow rice should look like.
Take out the noneatable ingredients like pandan leaf, galangal, lemongrass bay leaf and you are ready to plate up and eat!
Plate Up the Nasi Kuning
We plated up the traditional way in a cone shape (but just use a small bowl if you do not have the cone mold) and added some tempeh on the side - this rally makes a wonderful vegetarian dish.
Also is a great side dish for Carne Asada.
Also Try our Jollof Rice Dish
HOW TO REHEAT NASI KUNING
I would recommend just using a microwave and put a plate over the top of the bowl you are using and it will keep the moisture in. If the rice has dried out in the fridge or you do not like microwaves then moist heat like a steamer is good. Simply bring the water in the steamer to a boil and then steam on high heat for five minutes.
Nasi Kuning Yellow Rice Instant Pot
- 2 cups jasmine rice or any long grain rice
- 1 piece lemongrass
- 1/2 lime or lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 bayleaves
- 7 oz coconut milk or cream
- 1 pandan leaf leave out if you don't have it
- 5 slice galangal leave out if you don't have it or use 2 slices of ginger
- 14 oz water
- Wash the rice in several times in water until it runs clear. Drain with a sieve to make sure all water is drained off
- Add the rice and the turmeric to the instant pot bowl and stir well to mix.
- If you have a pandan leaf crush it and tie it in a knot (see picture)
- Give the lemongrass a bash also to help release the flavor
- Put all the ingredients except the coconut cream in the instant pot bowl and mix well
- Lastly carefully spoon or very slowly pour the coconut cream so that it sits on the top (else the instant pot may give you a burn warning)
- Cook for 5 minutes with 10 minutes natural pressure release
- Take out the pandan, galangal, bay leaves
- Tip - if the rice is a little sticky add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mix and it will become nice and fluffy.