How To Make Vegetarian Rendang in an Instant Pot or Pressure cooker
8 Candle Nuts (can use macadamia nuts- similar taste)
6 big chili
1 thumb ginger
1 thumb galangal (can use ginger for this if you do not have it)
2 lemongrass (diced)
3 shallots (can use grated onion if no chalets)
6 cloves garlic
1 thumb turmeric (1 teaspoon powdered)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Ingredients for flavor while cooking
6 cloves (or 1 teaspoon ground cloves)
2 star anise
1 tablespoon cumin
5 cardamon pods
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg powder
4 kaffir lime leaf (if you do not have this omit it)
3 bay leaf
1 turmeric leaf (if you have it)
1 cup water or vegetable stock
2 cups coconut cream
1 lb of cut jackfruit
Final Seasoning Ingredients
1 tablespoon brown sugar (More or less to taste)
1 teaspoon salt. (More or less to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper. (More or less to taste)
- Prepare all your ingredients first as there are quite a few for this rendang dish and it helps to be organized.
- Prepare the Jackfruit. Peel the outside skin off with a share knife and then remove the core - which can be quite tough. Cut the remaining fruit into bite-sized chunks.
- Next - prepare your ingredients for the paste. Roughly cut galangal, ginger, turmeric, garlic (no need to chop just put in the blender), chili, shallots, and candlenuts ( use macadamia nuts if no candlenuts). Then add to the blender and blend for about 5 minutes until quite a fine paste.
- You will need to add some olive oil to get it to blend as a paste and stop the blender two or three times frequently to scrape down the sides and re-blend.
- Turn the instant pot to sauté (add a little oil) and cook the paste for about 2-3 minutes.
- You can tell when it is ready as you will smell the fragrant aroma from the paste as the ingredients are cooked and they release their flavor.
- Then add the paprika, cumin, coriander, nutmeg and cinnamon and stir well.
- After about 1 minute then add in the coconut cream and mix well.
- Now add the lemongrass, bay leaves, kaffir lime and turmeric leaf if you have it. Followed with the star anise and cloves. We also add one cup of water or vegetable stock. Stir well and add the jackfriut and again stir well.
- Next, pinch the cardamom pods to break the shell and add-in. Season with salt, pepper and some brown sugar.
- You are now ready to cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes and 5 minutes natural release.
- After cooking - taste the Rendang Gravy and see if it needs more seasoning. Use salt and pepper and sugar if it is a little tart.
Tip - rending actually improves with age - so leaving it for 2 days in the fridge you will notice an intensification of flavors
- Calories: 365
Keywords: vegetarian rendang, jackfruit rendang